Book of Mormon: "never again will it be known as a simple hoax."

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Symmachus
_Emeritus

Re: Book of Mormon: "never again will it be known as a simpl

Post by _Symmachus »

tapirrider wrote:I suspect that Skousen and Carmack are fabricating a hoax of their own.

4 years after Joseph Smith died, this book was published:

Dictionary of Americanisms, A Glossary of Words and Phrases, Usually Regarded as Peculiar to the United States, by John Russell Bartlett, 1848

And on page iii I read this:

"On comparing these familiar words with the provincial and colloquial language of the northern counties of England, a most striking resemblance appeared, not only in the words commonly regarded as peculiar to New England, but in the dialectical pronunciation of certain words, and in the general tone and accent. In fact, it may be said, without exaggeration, that nine tenths of the colloquial peculiarities of New England are derived directly from Great Britain; and that they are now provincial in those parts from which the early colonists emigrated, or are to be found in the writings of well accredited authors of the period when that emigration took place.

It may be insisted, therefore, that the idiom of New England is as pure English, taken as a whole, as was spoken in England at the period when these colonies were settled."
https://books.google.com/books?id=9sVUA ... &q&f=false

It was a known fact in the 1800s that spoken, not written, English in the Eastern states was different from the English written and spoken in Great Britain. And its form was closest to the same spoken type of English of the early 1600s when the first colonists arrived.

Skousen and Carmack have proposed that Joseph Smith could not have known the grammar of an earlier English period. Nonsense. Published writings of the 19th century give hints that he very likely could have spoken in such a way in casual conversation. Mormons can't have their cake and eat it too. If Mormons want to insist that Joe was a poor uneducated farm boy then we have to consider the form of his casual vocal speech patterns.

This is an excellent find, Tapirrider. The Skousen/Carmack theory depends on assuming four isolated strands: 1) KJV English, 2) Elizabethan English, 3) Joseph Smith's spoken dialect, and 4) the more or less standard written English of the early nineteenth century which is only stylistically and occasionally lexically divergent from modern written English—4) is practically the same language as Skousen/Carmack use to their write their articles.

With this assumption, Skousen/Carmack then find grammatical oddities (let's call them), and one by one they attempt to show why each of them can't be 1), 3), or 4). Therefore, we conclude they must be 2) because these Book of Mormon grammatical oddities also occur in 2). 1), 3), and 4) are supposed to be the baselines against which 2) can be measured.

Throughout all of this process, the range I understand they have found encompasses all of about 80-100 examples or so—not 80-100 kinds of oddities but 80 examples of these oddities in total—in a 500 page book. That's not very significant.

So much for the grand results of the conclusion. But the string of starting assumptions is flawed too. They are supposed to form baselines, but they run together. For one thing, the 1) KJV and 2) Elizabethan English aren't that different; the most you could say that KJV represents a certain idiosyncratic style of diction, not that it is a measurably distinct form of English. And many of the 80-100 or so features that Skousen/Carmack find in the Book of Mormon occur in the KJV, but in the latter they occur with a different, usually higher frequency (a dead give-away not of genuine archaism but of imitation of genuine archaism). Neither 1) or 2) is useful baseline, at least treated separately in the way that Skousen/Carmack do.

But 3) isn't a useful baseline against 4) either. I'd really like to know how Skousen and Carmack formed the impression that they know anything about the dialect of Joseph Smith. Beyond the earliest Book of Mormon text itself—most of which Skousen has reconstructed! (thanks pointing that out and exploring its implications Gad—and a few journal entries (which aren't going to use past-tense narrative syntax), we have almost nothing written by Joseph Smith that wasn't mediated by more educated scribes. The most interesting part of the Book of Mormon text, and the part that has received the least attention while also (in my view) holding the key to the whole production, is that it is an oral text. It is written because it was dictated, but at a feverish pace and with very little editorial revision in the first instance. Only later editions received that treatment, as Skousen and just everybody else knows. But in this regard the Book of Mormon is also unique as practically the only extended evidence of the dialect from that region.

The fact is, dialects then as now were erased through the process of publication. We have 0 recordings obviously of native speakers from anywhere, and I just wonder how much evidence they imagine they have for the 19th century English spoken on the north eastern frontier beyond the Book of Mormon text. Skousen and Carmack basically assume that the standard written English of the time (which isn't that different from their own dialect) is the same as the dialect of Joseph Smith, but nobody really knows that—and observations like the one that Tapirrider has dug up show that there was a divergence—because there is practically no evidence of what that dialect was. This is true especially in the domain that Skousen/Carmack use for all of their evidence: syntax. Dialectical syntax would have been weeded out in the publication process to conform with standard written English.

In short, they don't really know anything about the syntax of Joseph Smith's dialect, and therefore they can't rule something as not belonging to it.
"As to any slivers of light or any particles of darkness of the past, we forget about them."

—B. Redd McConkie
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Symmachus wrote:
tapirrider wrote:I suspect that Skousen and Carmack are fabricating a hoax of their own.

4 years after Joseph Smith died, this book was published:

Dictionary of Americanisms, A Glossary of Words and Phrases, Usually Regarded as Peculiar to the United States, by John Russell Bartlett, 1848

And on page iii I read this:

"On comparing these familiar words with the provincial and colloquial language of the northern counties of England, a most striking resemblance appeared, not only in the words commonly regarded as peculiar to New England, but in the dialectical pronunciation of certain words, and in the general tone and accent. In fact, it may be said, without exaggeration, that nine tenths of the colloquial peculiarities of New England are derived directly from Great Britain; and that they are now provincial in those parts from which the early colonists emigrated, or are to be found in the writings of well accredited authors of the period when that emigration took place.

It may be insisted, therefore, that the idiom of New England is as pure English, taken as a whole, as was spoken in England at the period when these colonies were settled."
https://books.google.com/books?id=9sVUA ... &q&f=false

It was a known fact in the 1800s that spoken, not written, English in the Eastern states was different from the English written and spoken in Great Britain. And its form was closest to the same spoken type of English of the early 1600s when the first colonists arrived.

Skousen and Carmack have proposed that Joseph Smith could not have known the grammar of an earlier English period. Nonsense. Published writings of the 19th century give hints that he very likely could have spoken in such a way in casual conversation. Mormons can't have their cake and eat it too. If Mormons want to insist that Joe was a poor uneducated farm boy then we have to consider the form of his casual vocal speech patterns.

This is an excellent find, Tapirrider. The Skousen/Carmack theory depends on assuming four isolated strands: 1) KJV English, 2) Elizabethan English, 3) Joseph Smith's spoken dialect, and 4) the more or less standard written English of the early nineteenth century which is only stylistically and occasionally lexically divergent from modern written English—4) is practically the same language as Skousen/Carmack use to their write their articles.

With this assumption, Skousen/Carmack then find grammatical oddities (let's call them), and one by one they attempt to show why each of them can't be 1), 3), or 4). Therefore, we conclude they must be 2) because these Book of Mormon grammatical oddities also occur in 2). 1), 3), and 4) are supposed to be the baselines against which 2) can be measured.

Throughout all of this process, the range I understand they have found encompasses all of about 80-100 examples or so—not 80-100 kinds of oddities but 80 examples of these oddities in total—in a 500 page book. That's not very significant.

So much for the grand results of the conclusion. But the string of starting assumptions is flawed too. They are supposed to form baselines, but they run together. For one thing, the 1) KJV and 2) Elizabethan English aren't that different; the most you could say that KJV represents a certain idiosyncratic style of diction, not that it is a measurably distinct form of English. And many of the 80-100 or so features that Skousen/Carmack find in the Book of Mormon occur in the KJV, but in the latter they occur with a different, usually higher frequency (a dead give-away not of genuine archaism but of imitation of genuine archaism). Neither 1) or 2) is useful baseline, at least treated separately in the way that Skousen/Carmack do.

But 3) isn't a useful baseline against 4) either. I'd really like to know how Skousen and Carmack formed the impression that they know anything about the dialect of Joseph Smith. Beyond the earliest Book of Mormon text itself—most of which Skousen has reconstructed! (thanks pointing that out and exploring its implications Gad—and a few journal entries (which aren't going to use past-tense narrative syntax), we have almost nothing written by Joseph Smith that wasn't mediated by more educated scribes. The most interesting part of the Book of Mormon text, and the part that has received the least attention while also (in my view) holding the key to the whole production, is that it is an oral text. It is written because it was dictated, but at a feverish pace and with very little editorial revision in the first instance. Only later editions received that treatment, as Skousen and just everybody else knows. But in this regard the Book of Mormon is also unique as practically the only extended evidence of the dialect from that region.

The fact is, dialects then as now were erased through the process of publication. We have 0 recordings obviously of native speakers from anywhere, and I just wonder how much evidence they imagine they have for the 19th century English spoken on the north eastern frontier beyond the Book of Mormon text. Skousen and Carmack basically assume that the standard written English of the time (which isn't that different from their own dialect) is the same as the dialect of Joseph Smith, but nobody really knows that—and observations like the one that Tapirrider has dug up show that there was a divergence—because there is practically no evidence of what that dialect was. This is true especially in the domain that Skousen/Carmack use for all of their evidence: syntax. Dialectical syntax would have been weeded out in the publication process to conform with standard written English.

In short, they don't really know anything about the syntax of Joseph Smith's dialect, and therefore they can't rule something as not belonging to it.

Fascinating discussion, Symmachus.

I seem to recall long ago watching a public television series on The Story of English, hosted by Robert MacNeil of MacNeil-Lehrer fame. He traveled throughout the world onscreen, including the United States, showing pockets of anachronistic English expressions everywhere he went. The impression I was left with was that archaicisms were and are embedded throughout American culture and their persistence can be quite surprising.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Re: Book of Mormon: "never again will it be known as a simple hoax."

Post by _Lemmie »

symmachus wrote:The most interesting part of the Book of Mormon text, and the part that has received the least attention while also (in my view) holding the key to the whole production, is that it is an oral text. It is written because it was dictated....

Even if they don't believe Smith dictated the book from his head but rather dictated it from a written source, they should be considering it as an alternative hypothesis. It's too bad that they are quite studiously ignoring this 'oral text' alternative, because it is quite compelling as an explanation.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Lemmie wrote:
symmachus wrote:The most interesting part of the Book of Mormon text, and the part that has received the least attention while also (in my view) holding the key to the whole production, is that it is an oral text. It is written because it was dictated....

Even if they don't believe Smith dictated the book from his head but rather dictated it from a written source, they should be considering it as an alternative hypothesis. It's too bad that they are quite studiously ignoring this 'oral text' alternative, because it is quite compelling as an explanation.

That’s precisely why they’re studiously ignoring it.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Equality
_Emeritus

Post by _Equality »

Exiled wrote:Such a waste of time.

We have no need for ancient ways; our world is doing fine.
"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

are they ignoring the oral text alternative or have they just not thought about it? (I never knew any of that nor would have thought about it) Maybe they don't know as much as Symmachus? Symm does have a relevant Phd. They should take his input seriously, as there isn't much critical feedback coming in for them to consider.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Lemmie wrote:
Kishkumen wrote:I never thought the Book of Mormon was a simple hoax.

That's what cracks me up. Maybe the commenter doesn't quite realize how he sounds:

"Never again will it be known as a simple hoax. From now on, the Book of Mormon will be rightfully known...as a complex hoax!"

Indeed! Moreover, the Book of Mormon started out as an elaborate Masonic hoax. The story of its discovery is practically a coded invitation for Masons to heed the call and gather to Western New York, and the book probably would have stayed overtly Masonic had it not been for the Morgan Affair.

The Book of Mormon would not be the only time a Masonic treasure hoax took on a life of its own.

https://www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk/research-documents/theories/freemasons/
Last edited by Guest on Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Lemmie wrote:

I guess this means Skousen wasted the last 25 years of his life and the Mormon Interpreter wasted $150,000 they could have used for other projects.

I hope this can be a valuable lesson for Peterson and the Mormon Interpreter about the importance of actual peer review. This huge scholarly blunder could have easily been avoided.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

I would say they are ignoring the oral text hypothesis as it would put the enterprise back down to earth where it belongs.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Ken Madsen:
Before we can know the total implications of space, time and gravity, we attempt to discover all that is knowable. Before we derive a simple formula for everything, we have undertaken centuries of research into the furthest reaches of space and time of telescopy. We delve into the tiniest traces of microscopy. We crash together particles accelerated at the highest speeds in giant colliders. We have undertaken super human effort, not only to understand the true nature of things, but to get to the unltimate questions and implications.

Why is nature is what it is?

We expect Newtonian simplicity but the truth is often much grander than we could ever dream.

It is remarkable in itself that the same is true for the Book of Mormon.

Peterson in response:
Ken Madsen’s response is a sound one.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Is 'sound' now one of tapir Dan's loan-shifted words, like horse? Does it now mean 'ridiculous' ?