John Gee claims in his new book intro that there's no need for his new book

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Re: John Gee claims in his new book intro that there's no need for his new book

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Tom wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:29 am
Yes, the SeN proprietor has promoted it: https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... faith.html

Note that someone made the following comment earlier today on the post: “Gee's Book was just pulled off the shelves at Deseret Book. Does anybody know why? Thanks.”

The proprietor responded:
I know why.

I don't think that I'm at liberty to say.

I hope that it will be back soon.

I favor debate over book-burning.
Tom:

Of course this is more evidence that he's been "muzzled," possibly by the General Authorities. "I don't think I'm at liberty to say"?? Really? Free speech and academic freedom are both "things," from what I've heard. Maybe those things don't exist at "Sic et Non," or within the LDS Church, or at BYU, but nonetheless, I think that most people understand the *ideas* of "Free Speech" and "Academic Freedom," and would feel really bothered about the prospect of seeing those things taken away. I wonder what "scepter of judgement" was waived over him such that he felt intimidated into silence.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Wow... They must be getting absolutely slaughtered. Just look at this desperate post.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

He probably hasn't been intimidated into silence, so much as strongly suggested he be silent. When the Brethren wish, the small fry obey. And Peterson is owned by the church which pays him.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Tom
_Emeritus

Post by _Tom »

I see that DezNatters are pushing their fellow confederates to buy Gee's book on Amazon and anywhere else it's still available. See here, for example.
“A scholar said he could not read the Book of Mormon, so we shouldn’t be shocked that scholars say the papyri don’t translate and/or relate to the Book of Abraham. Doesn’t change anything. It’s ancient and historical.” ~ Hanna Seariac
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

The reviews are in: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/reviews/19 ... geNumber=2

mama wapikiya
This doctrine causes shame and trauma
Reviewed in the United States on August 25, 2020
This is a harmful doctrine that has caused so much pain and suffering. As a former member, I definitely do NOT recommend this book. The amount of trauma this religion causes is immense.

Amazon Customer
Author lacks expertise in the topic
Reviewed in the United States on August 25, 2020
The author is a professional Egyptologist, so his foray into this topic is confusing. The sociological studies cited as evidence of the author's thesis are often in conflict with his premise. This book is also "inside baseball" for members of the LDS faith, who largely already believe what is being said, so I wonder who the target audience is, other than to scare the "faithful". This book contains no new scholarship, and there are other, better texts that deal with the demographic challenges of faith groups without advocating a return to a non-existent 1950's middle-class white nuclear family.

Heidi's IPhone
Harmful information
Reviewed in the United States on August 23, 2020
If there were 0 stars possible, that’s what I would give this book. Instead of saving faith, I have lost faith. How was this book allowed to be published? Thank you for more LGBTQ+ inaccurate yet extremely harmful information. This book is a true disappointment.

Michael Johnson
Not worth your time
A horrible book. Not worth your time or money. Equates sexuality with abuse which has been proven false time and time again. Just a total trash book.

Jared E.
Abuse victims become homosexuals?? Really?
John Gee claims in this book that victims of childhood sexual abuse will be more likely to be ome homosexuals and abusers than non victims. This book is disgusting and shouldn't be sold. This man is an egyptologist not someone who should be writing about issues of abuse which he clearly knows nothing about.

J. spowart
I was extremely offended by the contents of this book.
Reviewed in the United States on August 24, 2020
I complained to BYU about the contents of the book and was told it was being removed from circulation. I hope it is also removed here although I have no idea how long it takes for a book to be pulled from Amazon.

Sam Adams
Lacking in integrity
Reviewed in the United States on August 20, 2020
Gee likes to play it fast and loose with the facts when it comes to re-entrenching his own world view. Particularly abhorrent is the author’s claim that sexual abuse causes homosexuality. Not only does the study he cites for this claim materially contradict his conclusions, but this claim is also harmful to LGBT and LGBT-adjacent parents and children. Look elsewhere for more truthful and responsible insights on raising a faithful family.

Aaron
Complete junk! Trash! Not worth one cent.
Reviewed in the United States on August 20, 2020
What a piece of junk! In this book the author states “Victims of sexual abuse deserve compassion and assistance. They also deserve special care because they are more likely to become sexual abusers of children.” How can any university today publish such junk?

Darwin8u
Regressive defense of a fascinating Church. Avoid.
Reviewed in the United States on August 21, 2020
The worst kind of LDS apologetics. The more Gee gets out of his lane (He’s an expert in Egyptian antiquities) the less rigorous his writing and thinking is.

This is the kind of book, with its oblique attacks on homosexuality, and ham-fisted defense of the Church (always right), that is quite dangerous to the very THING it is trying to defend.

The thinking behind it is so regressive. Maybe Gee has spent too much time with antiquities. His book feels like a time capsule from 50 years ago. Ugh.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Wow! The world is speaking, and it appears that no matter what subject he writes on, sociology, sexuality, abuse, or Egyptology, Gee gets creamed.......I wonder if there is an extra vitamin pill he can take called "get a clue." Is there anything valid at all in anything this man has wasted 40 years writing? If so, can someone point out what it is?
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Temp. Admin.
_Emeritus

Post by _Temp. Admin. »

It's currently unavailable from amazon.com. Did the copies sell out quickly, or did Amazon pull them, too?
_Tom
_Emeritus

Post by _Tom »

They sold out. Also sold out on the FairMormon website.
“A scholar said he could not read the Book of Mormon, so we shouldn’t be shocked that scholars say the papyri don’t translate and/or relate to the Book of Abraham. Doesn’t change anything. It’s ancient and historical.” ~ Hanna Seariac
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Amazon reviewer Aaron said:

“A lot of the reviewers on here are only leaving negative reviews because of one sentence that offends them, despite being factually accurate. Most of them have not actually read the book. I bought and read the book and it's great. Learn what steps are most likely to help your family and children stay faithful through adulthood.”

What’s that sentence again?

“Victims of sexual abuse deserve compassion and assistance. They also deserve special care because they are more likely to become sexual abusers of children.”

- Doc
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Tom wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:27 pm
They sold out. Also sold out on the FairMormon website.
Can we be sure of that? At $45 for a hard copy and selling out in just a few months seems like a smash success. How many copies does Deseret typically do in a first edition? 3,000-5,000? Is it possible that it just says sold out but is put on temporary hold pending further review on whether to keep the book available?

we are living in a middle of a pandemic and the country including Utah Mormons are living in a deep recession. People typically don't have $45 to waste on a book written by someone who has no professional credentials to write it. Or could it be that maybe somebody bought them all? The Church?