Russell McGregor: Online Mopologist Extraordinaire

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: Russell McGregor: Online Mopologist Extraordinaire

Post by Moksha »

drumdude wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 1:39 am
I’d feel a whole lot better about Mormonism if they didn’t want everyone to stop calling them Mormons.
Yet what are they to do if their prophet tells them the word Mormon is Satanic?

They can resume the word Mormon and continue to eat ham once a future prophet gives the all clear signal.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Imwashingmypirate
God

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Kinda makes me think of the quote, by their fruits ye shall know them. These fruits don't look like something I'd want to eat.

I can kind of see why it looks like he is "self aware" but I wonder if it's just that he is more balls to the walls than other. There's a very strong feeling of confidence and couldn't give a rats ass energy in his responses which makes him sound self assured. Which might give an element of self awareness. I think maybe he should spend less time on the internet and go do things with his life. His negativity must really be a drain on his soul. There's no discussion in the replies. Not apologetics. Just biting at people.

I have no problem with the term Mormon. It kind of feels like it's just an excuse to derail the question.
Imwashingmypirate
God

Moksha wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 9:54 am
drumdude wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 1:39 am
I’d feel a whole lot better about Mormonism if they didn’t want everyone to stop calling them Mormons.

They can resume the word Mormon and continue to eat ham once a future prophet gives the all clear signal.
Did a president say the word was Satanic? If that's true then the church has created this problem. People are just going to fight against being called Mormon. It would create a massive distraction. How in their right mind would they assign a word that is only relevant to them as Satanic. The outcome is that one, you are saying the word that you created is evil and two, you are causing unnecessary unrest because true followers won't want to be associated with a word that is Satanic. That's crazy. Did they think that through properly? I'm wondering if it's a joke because its posted by moksha.
I Have Questions
Bishop

Post by I Have Questions »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 10:51 am
Moksha wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 9:54 am

Did a president say the word was Satanic? If that's true then the church has created this problem. People are just going to fight against being called Mormon. It would create a massive distraction. How in their right mind would they assign a word that is only relevant to them as Satanic. The outcome is that one, you are saying the word that you created is evil and two, you are causing unnecessary unrest because true followers won't want to be associated with a word that is Satanic. That's crazy. Did they think that through properly? I'm wondering if it's a joke because its posted by moksha.
Nelson, General Conference 2018
What’s in a name or, in this case, a nickname? When it comes to nicknames of the Church, such as the “LDS Church,” the “Mormon Church,” or the “Church of the Latter-day Saints,” the most important thing in those names is the absence of the Savior’s name. To remove the Lord’s name from the Lord’s Church is a major victory for Satan. When we discard the Savior’s name, we are subtly disregarding all that Jesus Christ did for us—even His Atonement.
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... h?lang=eng
Imwashingmypirate
God

I Have Questions wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 1:13 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 10:51 am

Nelson, General Conference 2018
What’s in a name or, in this case, a nickname? When it comes to nicknames of the Church, such as the “LDS Church,” the “Mormon Church,” or the “Church of the Latter-day Saints,” the most important thing in those names is the absence of the Savior’s name. To remove the Lord’s name from the Lord’s Church is a major victory for Satan. When we discard the Savior’s name, we are subtly disregarding all that Jesus Christ did for us—even His Atonement.
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... h?lang=eng
AHH. Well that's kind of different but that is also probably why people are now offended.
Sophocles
Nursery

Post by Sophocles »

My favorite Pahoran episode was from ZLMB, when the subject of Ronald E. Poelman's re-taped conference talk was raised. He had never heard of this and outright denied that it could be true.

When his fellow apologists on the board finally managed to convince him that it happened, he immediately changed course and began defending it as if it were the most natural thing in the world.

It was quite a thing to behold. One moment he found the story so outrageous that he was offended that critics would have the gall to invent such a thing. The next, he regarded it as so benign and commonplace that he couldn't believe anyone would ever have any problem with it.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Sophocles wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 7:46 pm
My favorite Pahoran episode was from ZLMB, when the subject of Ronald E. Poelman's re-taped conference talk was raised. He had never heard of this and outright denied that it could be true.

When his fellow apologists on the board finally managed to convince him that it happened, he immediately changed course and began defending it as if it were the most natural thing in the world.

It was quite a thing to behold. One moment he found the story so outrageous that he was offended that critics would have the gall to invent such a thing. The next, he regarded it as so benign and commonplace that he couldn't believe anyone would ever have any problem with it.
Unsurprising, unfortunately. RM is one of those who cannot admit being wrong. No matter which positions he takes, even contradictory ones, they are right because he says they are. Zero credibility.
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

DCP wrote:A more efficient approach -- I'm watching it in real time over at the Peterson Obsession Board -- is to simply dismiss all the accounts, sight unseen, accompanied by snorts of derision and, among the higher organisms there, airy but factually-ungrounded theoretical explanations of why the accounts needn't be seriously considered.

It's conjured up an involuntary image in my mind of a ritual gathering of such folks: "By the great throbbing brain of Dumb-Dud!" goes the incantation. Dumb-Dud actually explained, a few weeks ago, that dissenting from His views indicates that the dissenter has the mental power of a "gnat." (The mightily engorged self-esteem is rather cute, in its way.)
Sometimes Mormon apologists get so ridiculous all you can do is laugh... :oops:
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

...factually-ungrounded theoretical explanations of...
Help me out here. What would a factually-grounded theoretical explanation of an imaginary event that violates all laws of physics look like? All I have the patience for is...

"Nope. Didn't happen." (eyes roll vigorously.)

Maybe with a corollary of

"Grow up. Take a science class or something. Here, I'll lend you a book."

Anybody got anything else???
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Sophocles wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 7:46 pm

The FARMS group did the exact same thing with the Hoffmann forgeries of the Salamander Letter... It's all for an image. Truth stopped being a part of their church since 1805. Yes, do the math and figure out why I chose this year as the beginning of the end of truth in Mormonism.