Study: Drinking coffee and tea is associated with a 32% lower risk of stroke

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
doubtingthomas
God

Study: Drinking coffee and tea is associated with a 32% lower risk of stroke

Post by doubtingthomas »

However, the doctor in the video explains, "What the authors found is a U-shaped association, so I do want to exercise caution here. A lot of the time when we look at observational research, we can find these U-shaped association curves. But as we went through earlier, we cannot fully rely on this observational research."
https://youtu.be/eHFCCwgDB9k?si=DkzyNZYw3uNPAcq7&t=332

He did list many possible benefits of drinking coffee, including that coffee is associated with a lower risk of dementia. However, he also mentioned that consuming caffeine late in the day does affect sleep quality.

So, there are pros and cons to drinking coffee, I suppose, but the greatest con is all the exploitation going on. For example, here's a news article about children found working in coffee farms.

"Caffeine Jungle: Child labor, struggling farmers found on 'ethically' certified coffee farms in southern Mexico"
https://abcnews.go.com/US/caffeine-jung ... d=91735230

I see it as a mixed bag; the LDS Church can be praised and criticized for its stance on coffee.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
drumdude
God

Re: Study: Drinking coffee and tea is associated with a 32% lower risk of stroke

Post by drumdude »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 9:55 pm
I see it as a mixed bag; the LDS Church can be praised and criticized for its stance on coffee.
I do as well. The LDS church would love coffee and tea to be exposed someday as just as evil as smoking tobacco, but that seems incredibly unlikely.
IWMP
Pirate

Re: Study: Drinking coffee and tea is associated with a 32% lower risk of stroke

Post by IWMP »

What is an unshaped association? Is that like too little and too much isn't good but just the right amount is?

I remember hearing a story where Nestle went to a 3rd world country. Gave all the women formula and then once the babies were on formula they pulled the aid and then the babies were left with no formula and not enough breast milk because women dried up. Not sure how true it is but it's a bit grim.

I don't understand why these mega rich companies get away with exploitation.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

doubtingthomas wrote:
However, the doctor in the video explains, "What the authors found is a U-shaped association, so I do want to exercise caution here. A lot of the time when we look at observational research, we can find these U-shaped association curves. But as we went through earlier, we cannot fully rely on this observational research."

He did list many possible benefits of drinking coffee, including that coffee is associated with a lower risk of dementia. However, he also mentioned that consuming caffeine late in the day does affect sleep quality.

So, there are pros and cons to drinking coffee, I suppose, but the greatest con is all the exploitation going on. For example, here's a news article about children found working in coffee farms.

"Caffeine Jungle: Child labor, struggling farmers found on 'ethically' certified coffee farms in southern Mexico"

I like coffee. I do not see how drinking coffee is morally compromised by child labor in southern Mexico. Economic and family conditions in the area are responsible not coffee beans.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Even though anchovies, black licorice, and the internal organs of animals (especially beef liver, but not so much for foie gras and optional tripe in Pho) were vastly unvaliant in the Heaven Wars, the religious repudiation by the Lord's true Church unjustly falls on the Tea and Coffee plants. These plants were way more valiant than oysters or beets. This makes little sense since green tea is the healthiest drink available. Contrary to imaginary thought, the souls of the Saints do not melt like the Nazis in Raiders of the Lost Ark after drinking tea or coffee.

Why are these prohibitions from the Heaven War so strange?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Moksha wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 12:17 am
Even though anchovies, black licorice, and the internal organs of animals (especially beef liver, but not so much for foie gras and optional tripe in Pho) were vastly unvaliant in the Heaven Wars, the religious repudiation by the Lord's true Church unjustly falls on the Tea and Coffee plants. These plants were way more valiant than oysters or beets. This makes little sense since green tea is the healthiest drink available. Contrary to imaginary thought, the souls of the Saints do not melt like the Nazis in Raiders of the Lost Ark after drinking tea or coffee.

:lol:
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Moksha wrote:

You, a give a nod to and a bow of deference. You are one of a kind, and I ***LOVE*** everything you write and post.
IWMP
Pirate

Post by IWMP »

huckelberry wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 10:44 pm
doubtingthomas wrote:

I like coffee. I do not see how drinking coffee is morally compromised by child labor in southern Mexico. Economic and family conditions in the area are responsible not coffee beans.
I think that might be similar to how some people only buy fair trade for what they perceive as moral reasons. Or why some people won't buy clothes from companies like shein.
IWMP
Pirate

Post by IWMP »

Moksha wrote:

Do you write books? Lol.
IWMP
Pirate

Post by IWMP »

Was it not Emma Smith that had a part in the word of wisdom commandments?

Maybe she was sick of washing all the tea cups.