1899 on Netflix

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

1899 on Netflix

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Has anyone finished watching this series on Netflix?

If so, WTH?! I’ve never watched a show this mind bending and confusing before.

I’m still undecided whether the ending was brilliant or stupid.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Gadianton
God

Re: 1899 on Netflix

Post by Gadianton »

I've completed episode 1. Pretty woke so far (assuming I know what that word means). Everyone is wrong for being stereotypes of 1899 except the woman doctor, who appears "misplaced" somehow and so is able to judge the past by modern liberal values. Everyone is paralyzed by social norms that are wrong, except her, and so she can find her way through problems and be brave when others can't get anything done.

Dr. Riginald Murray = DCP? lol. Educated. Proper. Wealthy. Travelling first class and nothing beats a fancy meal with important friends.
Wonhyo
Star B

Post by Wonhyo »

Do you recommend the series, Everybody Wang Chung, to those of us who haven't yet seen it (or even heard of it)?
"There is no path to happiness. Happiness is the path.”
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

the lady in episode 3 who led the witch hunt definitely should be wearing one of those oversized MAGA hats.

but the thing is, while the populism is full-blown in that episode, their contentions were partly justified, they just took things to the extreme. And so, these people were still far more rational than the average Republican supporting Trump and a bunch of totally made up BS.

I would recommend it Wonhyo. While the lectures on diversity are a bit heavy handed, it's otherwise a solid sci-fi flick and for those of us who are unfortunately sci-fi fans, we need to take what we can get.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

It finally hit me later in the series that it might be the same creators who made DARK (it is), which I really liked. DARK is better, they had to do more with ideas than rely on special effects.

My main objection to 1899 is that, in DARK, you can identify with the family because they establish everyday life and normalcy more firmly before going off the deep end. Before you can pull plot twists you've got to have a plot to twist.

DARK was relatively tight from what I remember, so hopefully all the confusion is architected confusion and they don't pull a "Lost". Lost had everything going for it at first indicating a super intricate plot, but then what happens is writers have financial incentives to respond to what the audience likes, how far can they stretch it out to keep money flowing in, and then oops, too much to tie together and things that were mysterious don't end up having an explanation.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Gadianton wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:39 pm
It finally hit me later in the series that it might be the same creators who made DARK (it is), which I really liked. DARK is better, they had to do more with ideas than rely on special effects.

My main objection to 1899 is that, in DARK, you can identify with the family because they establish everyday life and normalcy more firmly before going off the deep end. Before you can pull plot twists you've got to have a plot to twist.

DARK was relatively tight from what I remember, so hopefully all the confusion is architected confusion and they don't pull a "Lost". Lost had everything going for it at first indicating a super intricate plot, but then what happens is writers have financial incentives to respond to what the audience likes, how far can they stretch it out to keep money flowing in, and then oops, too much to tie together and things that were mysterious don't end up having an explanation.
I thoroughly enjoyed the series. Yes, it melted my brain in parts, and there were a number of WTF? moments, but overall it was excellently crafted. There's an accompanying programme on Netflix "the making of 1899" which I would recommend (maybe after watching the series). In that documentary it is made clear the people who made Dark are the same people who made 1899, and both share a number of the same actors.

But now the difficult job of a second series. The cat is out of the bag now, so it will be hard to follow up the shock factor prevalent in the first series. It feels to me that it's maybe got a maximum life of 3 series. 2 might be better. 1 series would perhaps have been the sweet spot.