3 Hour Block, what's the point?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Re: 3 Hour Block, what's the point?

Post by _bcspace »

I have suggested we go to a 2 hour block. 30 minute Sacrament meeting. 45 mins each other block. Also the addition of an advanced Gospel Doctrine class for debate and discussion of deep doctrine and controversial subjects. Also the abolition of most home teaching (go only to the inactives) to be replaced with a potluck on fast Sunday to break our fast. Also, an increase in ward size based on the number of youth so youth classes aren't so small and there are more real opportunities for leadership. What use of having a president when there are only two or three people in the class?

I think all of those would increase attendance significantly. Sorry, no go.
Machina Sublime
Satan's Plan Deconstructed.
Your Best Resource On Joseph Smith's Polygamy.
Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.
_palerobber
_Emeritus

Post by _palerobber »

bcspace wrote:I have suggested we go to a 2 hour block. 30 minute Sacrament meeting. 45 mins each other block. Also the addition of an advanced Gospel Doctrine class for debate and discussion of deep doctrine and controversial subjects. Also the abolition of most home teaching (go only to the inactives) to be replaced with a potluck on fast Sunday to break our fast. Also, an increase in ward size based on the number of youth so youth classes aren't so small and there are more real opportunities for leadership. What use of having a president when there are only two or three people in the class?

these are great suggestions.

why do you think HQ does not act on them?
_GR33N
_Emeritus

Post by _GR33N »

Oh, you "ark steadiers" you. I enjoy the 3 hour block.

You should all know they designed the block so that members who travel long distances to the ward building could participate in all three meetings and not add extra travel costs/burdens.

:rolleyes:
Then saith He to Thomas... be not faithless, but believing. - John 20:27
_EnosTheFaithful
_Emeritus

Post by _EnosTheFaithful »

In my opinion, 3hr is not enough. First of all, regarding the attention span, the 3 hours is broken up , its not like your sitting in the same seat listening to one person teach for 3hrs. Second, were suppose to keep the sabbath day holy, what better way to do this than by church? What better have you to do on the sabbath?
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

There has to be a better way if the Church wishes to recruit and retain members...right?

While I agree various people have various needs and tolerances, no church can remain for long without regular meeting. It must be sufficient in both time and content to create and maintain the appropriate level of bonding, community, and faith. Since we all are different, we will all experience some discomfort with whatever the design is. And that is part of the process of life; discomfort which leads to "creative destruction", to quote a free market/agency description, and only that can lead to growth and advancement of the individual.
Machina Sublime
Satan's Plan Deconstructed.
Your Best Resource On Joseph Smith's Polygamy.
Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

bcspace wrote:
There has to be a better way if the Church wishes to recruit and retain members...right?

While I agree various people have various needs and tolerances, no church can remain for long without regular meeting. It must be sufficient in both time and content to create and maintain the appropriate level of bonding, community, and faith. Since we all are different, we will all experience some discomfort with whatever the design is. And that is part of the process of life; discomfort which leads to "creative destruction", to quote a free market/agency description, and only that can lead to growth and advancement of the individual.

I think a 2 hour meeting may work, but the real problem, besides the fact the church's truth claims are false, is the church lacks content. Everything you hear over and over again at church is elementary level stuff. One can learn it all in less then a year, and then you have to listen to the same thing for the rest of your life. The church should probably try to expand what it does, and teach many more things that would be interesting to it's members, and be of value in their lives.

I found it interesting that consig ditched SS to go to KFC with his wife and they had more enjoyable time on a Sunday then they had going to church.
_Albion
_Emeritus

Post by _Albion »

I am not sure a three hour time period is exclusive to Mormonism. My own church has Bible study from 9.15 to 10.15...a thirty minute break for coffee and fellowship and then an hour to 75 minutes of worship time and expository preaching.
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

EnosTheFaithful wrote:In my opinion, 3hr is not enough. First of all, regarding the attention span, the 3 hours is broken up , its not like your sitting in the same seat listening to one person teach for 3hrs.

And yet that's EXACTLY how it feels...

There is a repetitive mantra that threads through every Sacrament Talk and Lesson.
Pray, Study Your Scriptures, Pay Your Tithing, Serve Others.
That's it.
Which is why it doesn't work in achieving retention of converts and 18 - 30's.

Second, were suppose to keep the sabbath day holy, what better way to do this than by church?

Helping down at the homeless shelter.
Sitting with people in a cancer ward doing crossword puzzles and chatting with them.
Spending quality time with family.
Visiting the sick.

You know, the same stuff Jesus did...

Elder Poelman (before he was gagged and forced to re do it) gave a Conference talk which basically pointed out that members get to the point where they don't need the Church to be able to live The Gospel. He articulated that the Church wasn't the Gospel, merely the vehicle for getting the message to people. Once the message is received then people can live the Gospel without attending Church. He is correct, but you can see why he was quickly reigned in, silenced and made to offer up an amended version.
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

BC wrote:I have suggested we go to a 2 hour block. 30 minute Sacrament meeting. 45 mins each other block. Also the addition of an advanced Gospel Doctrine class for debate and discussion of deep doctrine and controversial subjects. Also the abolition of most home teaching (go only to the inactives) to be replaced with a potluck on fast Sunday to break our fast. Also, an increase in ward size based on the number of youth so youth classes aren't so small and there are more real opportunities for leadership. What use of having a president when there are only two or three people in the class?

These are fantastic suggestions, BC! :biggrin:

Who did you make these suggestions to, and what was the reasoning in shooting them down? :question:
_Kittens_and_Jesus
_Emeritus

Post by _Kittens_and_Jesus »

Bazooka wrote:
EnosTheFaithful wrote:In my opinion, 3hr is not enough. First of all, regarding the attention span, the 3 hours is broken up , its not like your sitting in the same seat listening to one person teach for 3hrs.

And yet that's EXACTLY how it feels...

There is a repetitive mantra that threads through every Sacrament Talk and Lesson.
Pray, Study Your Scriptures, Pay Your Tithing, Serve Others.
That's it.
Which is why it doesn't work in achieving retention of converts and 18 - 30's.

Even when I was a TBM I thought church was dreadfully boring.

I used to bring up all sorts of the deeper stuff just to keep myself entertained. I never thought of it as controversial, I just like a good conversation. One day the bishop pulled me into his office and told me that my knowledge of the church was impressive... and a huge threat to my testimony.
As soon as you concern yourself with the 'good' and 'bad' of your fellows, you create an opening in your heart for maliciousness to enter. Testing, competing with, and criticizing others weaken and defeat you. - O'Sensei