Why I don't believe the story of the Great Flood...

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Drifting
_Emeritus

Re: Why I don't believe the story of the Great Flood...

Post by _Drifting »

Drifting wrote:Why, at no point did you think "hmmm, perhaps Noah was right let's build a boat"? Boats existed, people went fishing etc. Why not stash some of these boats with food like a lifeboat?

Subgenius said "heavy rain which falls faster than one can "scoop"...especially when panicked and when water is bursting forth from below. You obviously have never been in a boat in heavy heavy rain."

Why, at no point did you think "hmmm, perhaps Noah was right, let's go and get on his boat"? 8 people could not have resisted the sodden mob that came rushing up the hill to board him when they saw the waters rising.

Subgenius said "a blind eye is often turned to by people so deeply entrenched in their "sinful ways", that they don't recognize the flood until it is to late"

Any substance to that which subgenius claims?

Subby, do you believe the Flood happened, literally as described in the scriptures and why?
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Keith McMullin - Counsellor in Presiding Bishopric

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

Franktalk wrote:
If one looks at the past geology and accepts miracles then the evidence is all there for a flood.

Not really. I wonder why so many Christians realize their was not global flood?

There is nothing you can do to prove that the past has happened the way you say it has. And the same holds for me.

Actually it has already been proven no global flood happened, and that the earth is much older then 10k years. You can't prove your beliefs because they are not true and there is no evidence to support them. All you have is internal feelings that cause you to believe what you want to. Some of us have been able to change our beliefs.

This may not sit well with you. You may say "but I have evidence", then I will say "your evidence assumes your conclusions" which is a nice way way of saying your argument has circular reasoning, of course mine does as well.

Then back up your assertions. Every-time we try to get you to engage the evidence you run away.
_Franktalk
_Emeritus

Post by _Franktalk »

Themis wrote:Actually it has already been proven no global flood happened, and that the earth is much older then 10k years.

Without the assumption of uniformitarianism and with miracles as possible please prove that the flood did not happen?
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

Franktalk wrote:
Themis wrote:Actually it has already been proven no global flood happened, and that the earth is much older then 10k years.

Without the assumption of uniformitarianism and with miracles as possible please prove that the flood did not happen?

Where to start. There is so much. How about humans continued to live before and after the claimed flood all over the world. Same for animals and plants. I have to laugh that you want to exclude uniformitarianism but include miracles(trying to stack the deck :lol: ). The problem for the flood story is not so much that you want to bring up the magic card and say God just created the water out of nothing, etc, but that if we go by magic or miracles everything was put back to the way it was after the claimed flood event.
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

Franktalk wrote:Without the assumption of uniformitarianism and with miracles as possible please prove that the flood did not happen?

Are you serious?

Do you have any little clue as to how ridiculous a statement like this really is?

(The question mark at the end doesn't help your credibility any since the sentence itself is phrased as a statement.)

Try substituting the work "magic" for the word "miracles" and perhaps you will be able to see how silly you really sound to rational people.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_Franktalk
_Emeritus

Post by _Franktalk »

DrW wrote:Do you have any little clue as to how ridiculous a statement like this really is?

When one is embedded in the knowledge of men limited to worldly senses then your comment makes sense. But if you go outside of that arbitrary boundary set by men then the statement I made makes sense. Just because you embrace your limited view of reality does not mean that I have to. Your arm waving just verifies to me how attached to the world you actually are. If indeed you feel that you sit on fact and not opinion then why does it matter what I think.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Franktalk
_Emeritus

Post by _Franktalk »

There is a small set of people who hold to an expanding earth model. I happen to be one of them. Of course all of the details are not known but there are many data points that show this model as a possible explanation to many of earths features.
I bring this up to show how the earth may have not been the uniform structure many say it is.

Here is a short video on the subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJfBSc6e7QQ&feature=related

Another example of a nonlinear past is found in the study of the earth's axis of rotation. Here is a good read about ancient measurements and how they indicate that the earth was shifted on its axis back in 2300 BC.

http://www.setterfield.org/Dodwell_Manuscript_1.html

Now one can accept that man made good observations back in time or one can say that all of their measurements were in error. But what is to stop future scientist from throwing out all that is done today? All of this tossing of data is to protect the holy shrine of uniformitarianism.
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

Franktalk wrote:http://www.setterfield.org/...

The phantasm of that old, stupid, stonehead Setterfield is haunting again...

We had some threads about creationism:
- Let's Talk Rainbows (253 posts)
- Some thoughts on the Flood (125 posts)
- In apologetics, all is permitted (46 posts)

I am sorry, in some cases I should simply capitulate.
Against such hard, undeniable arguments I have no answer.

Even I was well educated (here)...

Image************************************Image
Franktalk wrote:There is a small set of people who hold to an expanding earth model. I happen to be one of them.
Do You lament or boast?
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_Franktalk
_Emeritus

Post by _Franktalk »

ludwigm wrote:The phantasm of that old, stupid, stonehead Setterfield is haunting again...

It may seem odd but I believe in many theories. Some of those conflict with each other. So maybe I should instead say I find a possible truth in some theories. With Setterfield I find someone who is willing to write down something outside of mainstream science. I sure don't know if what he says is true or not but I am willing to give all theories a fair look. What I don't do is throw out theories because some experts tell me to. I am happy to examine the data and determine for myself what I throw out.

I have no problem with your feelings for Setterfield. Many feel as you do. But again many had those same feelings about Bretz and Roemer and others in the history of science. So having those feelings may not be an indication that in time they turn out to be a true reflection of their work.

But talking about Setterfield is avoiding the paper which is on his site. The one which describes some ancient data concerning the axis of the earth. Rather than attacking the messenger maybe you should instead attack what was said.

It is nice to see you post. I always enjoy your wit and humor.
_Franktalk
_Emeritus

Post by _Franktalk »

ludwigm wrote: Do You lament or boast?

On the expanding earth I am open to the possibility of it in the past. I think I neither lament nor boast. It think that some but not all structures of the earth can be explained by plate tectonics. I think that most of the large movements are due to expansion. But I am open to more data coming forward and changing this view. I will say I was greatly impressed by King in his book about the expanding earth and spreading sea floors. Again someone who mainstream science ignores. I have his book on the morphology of the earth but have yet to finish it.

King is not a Bible guy. I think he just follows the data.