God was Sorry

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
High Spy
First Presidency

Re: God was Sorry

Post by High Spy »

bill4long wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 1:10 am
yellowstone123 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 10:39 pm

I believe Astronomers believe this also: maybe not soon but in another 5 billion years when our sun flares into a red giant as it exhausts it's fuel; later fades into oblivion as a white dwarf a.k.a. in Mormon land as a pure dwarf and then into a black dwarf. No black dwarfs yet but that is where our Sun is heading as white becomes pure and then settles into black or the purest of the pure.
"The Bible". Hehehe. As if that's a definite thing. Yes, I view High Spy as a crackpot. No offense however. I hope s/he has a nice life.
No worries, the dissolving earth idea isn’t something I primarily focus on, but this video looks interesting and perhaps The Wicker Man may shed additional light here. Gravity does contain the letters of my given name, and I do like to play around with the stuff.

(Stuff … Gravity) :mrgreen:
Physics Guy
God

Re: God was Sorry

Post by Physics Guy »

Why do stars get big when they start to “run out of fuel”? It’s an interesting mechanism.

Stellar fusion is self-limiting. It would go faster and hotter if the star were denser, but with heat there is pressure. The star’s own gravity packs it together but the pressure from all that fusion limits the density, so there’s a kind of inherent ceiling on the fusion rate.

This ceiling lifts when a star undergoes a structural change in old age. Once it has fused enough hydrogen into helium, the heavier helium collects in the stellar core. It’s awfully hot and dense in there, but not hot enough to fuse into carbon, so the helium just sits there being dense and heavy. The extra gravity of that inert helium core compresses the innermost hydrogen layer, just outside the core, to higher density than it could ever reach when the star was mostly just hydrogen. So the surprising result is that accumulating inert helium doesn’t choke out or slow down hydrogen fusion, but instead accelerates it a lot.

The high-density fusion shell puts out so much heat that it puffs the outermost layers of the star way out big. Stars with “dead” non-fusing cores are all much bigger in size than stars that are still fusing right to the middle. They’re in a different stage of stellar “life”, with a different internal structure.

Stars aren’t like any fusion reactors we can make. They use gravitational confinement, and the interplay between heat and pressure and gravity can have surprising effects. It lets stars form in the first place, and governs the rest of their “lives” until they fade out or explode.
I was a teenager before it was cool.