Was God okay with polygamy...?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Drifting
_Emeritus

Was God okay with polygamy...?

Post by _Drifting »

I, the Lord, justified my servants Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, as also Moses, David and Solomon, my servants, as touching the principle and doctrine of their having many wives and concubines

So D&C 132 states that God really approved of the polygamy of David and Solomon.

But Jacob in the Book of Mormon stated...
24 Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord.

And also...
More recently, President Gordon B. Hinckley has reiterated that plural marriage is “against the law of God. Even in countries where civil or religious law allows [the practice of a man having more than one wife], the Church teaches that marriage must be monogamous and does not accept into its membership those practicing plural marriage” (“What Are People Asking about Us?” Oct. 1998 general conference). [lds.org]

It's almost as if Joseph wrote about it being okay because he personally wanted to do it.
Or perhaps God is just fickle and can't make His mind up....
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Keith McMullin - Counsellor in Presiding Bishopric

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator
_Yoda

Re: Was God okay with polygamy...?

Post by _Yoda »

I have brought up this very point countless times. The scriptures are clearly conflicting. My understanding as far as Old Testament polygamy was concerned, is that it was a cultural phenomenon, and royalty, such as David, inherited wives and concubines based on their status.

This was not something that the Lord intended to have reinstated. Joseph clearly reinstated it for his own purposes.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Drifting wrote:...Or perhaps God is just fickle and can't make His mind up....

another inadequate, or incomplete, statement about the nature of God. You, conveniently, disregard the well-supported notion that God may, can, and has "change His mind".
For example
names may be written in and deleted from the Book of Life.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

liz3564 wrote:I have brought up this very point countless times. The scriptures are clearly conflicting. My understanding as far as Old Testament polygamy was concerned, is that it was a cultural phenomenon, and royalty, such as David, inherited wives and concubines based on their status.

This was not something that the Lord intended to have reinstated. Joseph clearly reinstated it for his own purposes.

1. What are the "conflicts" in the scriptures that you are referring to?
2. If Joseph "reinstated" it...then when, and by whom, was it "un-instated"
3. I appreciate your speculation that it was reinstated for Joseph's own purposes, but it is purely speculation...do you have any actual evidence? or is it just a "feeling" you have, you know...a sort of burning in your bosom?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

subgenius wrote:
Drifting wrote:...Or perhaps God is just fickle and can't make His mind up....

another inadequate, or incomplete, statement about the nature of God. You, conveniently, disregard the well-supported notion that God may, can, and has "change His mind".
For example
names may be written in and deleted from the Book of Life.

Well, everyones name is written in the Book of Life at the beginning. However, when a person sins with intent, his name is removed from the Book of Life. Only when one becomes saved is that person's name then written in the LAMB's Book of Life ---- Permanently. This is why I believe babies who die go to heaven to the arms of God. Though they have not made a decision to accept Christ, they have not rejected Him either. Any sin babies commit is without intent and their names remain in the Book of Life.
_son of Ishmael
_Emeritus

Post by _son of Ishmael »

Drifting wrote:
I, the Lord, justified my servants Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, as also Moses, David and Solomon, my servants, as touching the principle and doctrine of their having many wives and concubines

So D&C 132 states that God really approved of the polygamy of David and Solomon.

But Jacob in the Book of Mormon stated...
24 Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord.

And also...
More recently, President Gordon B. Hinckley has reiterated that plural marriage is “against the law of God. Even in countries where civil or religious law allows [the practice of a man having more than one wife], the Church teaches that marriage must be monogamous and does not accept into its membership those practicing plural marriage” (“What Are People Asking about Us?” Oct. 1998 general conference). [lds.org]

It's almost as if Joseph wrote about it being okay because he personally wanted to do it.
Or perhaps God is just fickle and can't make His mind up....

Yeah. If God had really wanted Joseph Smith to practice plural marriage, why did deny that he was doing it all the way up to his death? Shouldn't a true prophet of God be declaring God's words from the roof tops like they did in the good old days?
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. - Galileo

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk - Tom Waits
_annie
_Emeritus

Post by _annie »

LittleNipper wrote:Well, everyones name is written in the Book of Life at the beginning. However, when a person sins with intent, his name is removed from the Book of Life. Only when one becomes saved is that person's name then written in the LAMB's Book of Life ---- Permanently. This is why I believe babies who die go to heaven to the arms of God. Though they have not made a decision to accept Christ, they have not rejected Him either. Any sin babies commit is without intent and their names remain in the Book of Life.

I can't think of any unintentional sins committed by babies... any suggestions?
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

annie wrote:
I can't think of any unintentional sins committed by babies... any suggestions?

I have seen soiled diapers in my time that I think could be called sinful (certainly full of something).
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

Babies are also very self-centered. It is part of their nature.
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Post by _Tobin »

LittleNipper wrote:Babies are also very self-centered. It is part of their nature.
Does that make a baby sinful?
"You lack vision, but I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night.... Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful." -- Judge Doom