Why I don't believe the story of the Great Flood...

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Re: Why I don't believe the story of the Great Flood...

Post by _Res Ipsa »

LittleNipper wrote:
Brad Hudson wrote:What you studiously avoid is that you have not shown, and cannot show, that the use of the sphere as an approximation is material to the calculation.

Not. Enough. Water. Period.

I'm perfectly fine with the answer: godddidt. But you're just tap dancing now.

More than 2/3rds to 3/4ths of the surface of this planet is covered in water. That does not include the amount of water that is located under the surface of the land masses. So, I would question your opinion that there is not enough water to cover all the land 20 feet deep --- given a very valid possibility that the land masses were smoother and the oceans shallower, and the water came from outerspace (comets and ice meteors) and underground springs.

Check the link I cited for the amount of water in, on, and above the earth. 96.5% of that is already in the ocean. There is not nearly enough. You have to just about double the water in, on, or above the earth to do it.

There is no evidence that, at any time within the last 6,000 years, the land masses were materially smoother, the oceans were materially shallower, or that any comet struck the earth. In fact, the evidence is so the contrary. It is not possible unless you invoke a supernatural, all powerful being, who can violate the known laws of physics and who went to significant effort to hide the evidence.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

Brad Hudson wrote:
LittleNipper wrote:[More than 2/3rds to 3/4ths of the surface of this planet is covered in water. That does not include the amount of water that is located under the surface of the land masses. So, I would question your opinion that there is not enough water to cover all the land 20 feet deep --- given a very valid possibility that the land masses were smoother and the oceans shallower, and the water came from outerspace (comets and ice meteors) and underground springs.

Check the link I cited for the amount of water in, on, and above the earth. 96.5% of that is already in the ocean. There is not nearly enough. You have to just about double the water in, on, or above the earth to do it.

There is no evidence that, at any time within the last 6,000 years, the land masses were materially smoother, the oceans were materially shallower, or that any comet struck the earth. In fact, the evidence is so the contrary. It is not possible unless you invoke a supernatural, all powerful being, who can violate the known laws of physics and who went to significant effort to hide the evidence.

Actually, isn't Creation of the Universe and life origin a violation of the known laws of physics. And I do not see that evidence was hidden. It is simply that everything is being dated (including this not so distant past ) under false pretense. Fossils dating formations -- formations dating fossils. The early stages of the Flood would have buries small organism and especially those in living in shallow areas. Small animals would be among the last to survive. Smme birds would hold out to the last. And the very large animals would be the most likely to be found once buried by mud. The fact that uniformitarians cannot seem to find life anywhere else in the universe, given its size, are now developing a theory that there are multiple universes existing in mutiple dimensions. This would provide more worlds where life might exist for them...

Please see: http://www.Bible.ca/tracks/dating-radiometric.htm
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

ludwigm wrote:
subgenius wrote:believe it or not, i know that 2+2=4.

Not.

A laconic phrase may be used for efficiency (as in military jargon), for philosophical reasons (especially among thinkers who believe in minimalism, such as Stoics), or for better disarming a long, pompous speech (the most famous example being at the Battle of Thermopylae). Spartans were expected to be men of few words, to hold rhetoric in disdain, and to stick to the point. Loquaciousness was seen as a sign of frivolity, and totally unbecoming of sensible, down-to-earth Spartan peers.

+
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

LittleNipper wrote:Actually, isn't Creation of the Universe and life origin a violation of the known laws of physics.

No.

And I do not see that evidence was hidden. It is simply that everything is being dated (including this not so distant past ) under false pretense. Fossils dating formations -- formations dating fossils.

False. That's one of the neat little catchphrases YEC's use inside their little YEC bubble. Read up on how the dating is actually done from a source outside your bubble, then we can talk.

The early stages of the Flood would have buries small organism and especially those in living in shallow areas.

The creatures at the bottom of the geologic column are actually simple ocean creatures. How did they drown at all, let alone end up at the bottom of the column?

Small animals would be among the last to survive. Smme birds would hold out to the last. And the very large animals would be the most likely to be found once buried by mud.

Hold on there. How do you know all this? Were you there? Have you flooded the earth to conduct repeated experiments? :wink:

The fact that uniformitarians cannot seem to find life anywhere else in the universe, given its size, are now developing a theory that there are multiple universes existing in mutiple dimensions. This would provide more worlds where life might exist for them...

That statement displays a stunning level of ignorance. Read up on how big the universe is and how much we've looked at and then get back to me about not being able to find life "anywhere." Also, educate yourself on the actual history of the theory of multiple universes so you can talk about the motivation for the theory based on fact rather than ignorance.

And, enough with the Gish Gallop. I rode with you this time, but it's the last. The topic here is the Biblical Flood -- not multiple universes.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Brad Hudson wrote:What you studiously avoid is that you have not shown, and cannot show, that the use of the sphere as an approximation is material to the calculation.

i do not have to show that (though i already have- see below, again)...the burden of proof is yours because you are making the claim that it is material to the calculation.LINK
You have yet to even address the inconsistencies in your model...such as assuming an average radius of sea level, but not an average radius of land level. This is sufficient to "prove" that using the sphere is not material to a calculation that is being used to justify an absolute statement of impossibility - which, ironically, is something that science can never do!

I'm perfectly fine with the answer: godddidt. But you're just tap dancing now.

interestingly enough, your argument does not hold water either.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

DrW wrote:Subgenius is also avoiding the implications of claim that the flood waters rose to cover the Earth because of 40 days and 40 night of rain. Even if there were enough water on Earth (which there wasn't) it would not have been possible for this water (or even significant portion of it) to have been taken into the atmosphere and fall out as rain.

and thus we see you discredit your argument...anyone with a Bible knows that "rain" was not the sole source of the water
see Genesis 7:11 and 8:2. (spoiler alert : fountains of the deep)

what are those implications exactly.....?

awkward
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

ludwigm wrote:
subgenius wrote:believe it or not, i know that 2+2=4.

Not.

A laconic phrase may be used for efficiency (as in military jargon), for philosophical reasons (especially among thinkers who believe in minimalism, such as Stoics), or for better disarming a long, pompous speech (the most famous example being at the Battle of Thermopylae). Spartans were expected to be men of few words, to hold rhetoric in disdain, and to stick to the point. Loquaciousness was seen as a sign of frivolity, and totally unbecoming of sensible, down-to-earth Spartan peers.

quite selective on applying this are we not?
Bias much?
To bad its not more Bias of Priene
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

Brad Hudson wrote:
LittleNipper wrote:Actually, isn't Creation of the Universe and life origin a violation of the known laws of physics.

No.

And I do not see that evidence was hidden. It is simply that everything is being dated (including this not so distant past ) under false pretense. Fossils dating formations -- formations dating fossils.

False. That's one of the neat little catchphrases YEC's use inside their little YEC bubble. Read up on how the dating is actually done from a source outside your bubble, then we can talk.

The early stages of the Flood would have buries small organism and especially those in living in shallow areas.

The creatures at the bottom of the geologic column are actually simple ocean creatures. How did they drown at all, let alone end up at the bottom of the column?

Small animals would be among the last to survive. Smme birds would hold out to the last. And the very large animals would be the most likely to be found once buried by mud.

Hold on there. How do you know all this? Were you there? Have you flooded the earth to conduct repeated experiments? :wink:

The fact that uniformitarians cannot seem to find life anywhere else in the universe, given its size, are now developing a theory that there are multiple universes existing in mutiple dimensions. This would provide more worlds where life might exist for them...

That statement displays a stunning level of ignorance. Read up on how big the universe is and how much we've looked at and then get back to me about not being able to find life "anywhere." Also, educate yourself on the actual history of the theory of multiple universes so you can talk about the motivation for the theory based on fact rather than ignorance.

And, enough with the Gish Gallop. I rode with you this time, but it's the last. The topic here is the Biblical Flood -- not multiple universes.

Interestingly but not surprising, you entirely failed to explain how the following could exist and not be the result of the Flood. They certainly do not fit the uniformitarian mold. And I just wonder ---how much of this sort of stuff is suppressed because evolutionists have no answers but now control universities, the science museums, government research facilities, etc.:
http://www.Bible.ca/tracks/dating-radiometric.htm
_Drifting
_Emeritus

Post by _Drifting »

subgenius wrote:
DrW wrote:Subgenius is also avoiding the implications of claim that the flood waters rose to cover the Earth because of 40 days and 40 night of rain. Even if there were enough water on Earth (which there wasn't) it would not have been possible for this water (or even significant portion of it) to have been taken into the atmosphere and fall out as rain.

and thus we see you discredit your argument...anyone with a Bible knows that "rain" was not the sole source of the water
see Genesis 7:11 and 8:2. (spoiler alert : fountains of the deep)

what are those implications exactly.....?

awkward

Why does the Church teach (Primary, Seminary, Institute) "rainfall" as the sole method of flooding the earth?
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Keith McMullin - Counsellor in Presiding Bishopric

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator
_Drifting
_Emeritus

Post by _Drifting »

LittleNipper wrote:Interestingly but not surprising, you entirely failed to explain how the following could exist and not be the result of the Flood. They certainly do not fit the uniformitarian mold. And I just wonder ---how much of this sort of stuff is suppressed because evolutionists have no answers but now control universities, the science museums, government research facilities, etc.:
http://www.Bible.ca/tracks/dating-radiometric.htm

Nipple, you are correct, the flood "could" have happened.
But then you would have to concede that we "could" have originated as a species exactly the way the Scientologists explain that we came about....and that the moon "could" be made of cheese. Both have a similar amount of evidence supporting their claim as does the flood.

Edited to add: This should be to "Nipper" but my automatic spell checker seems to have developed a sense of humour!
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Keith McMullin - Counsellor in Presiding Bishopric

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator