Why I don't believe the story of the Great Flood...

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Re: Why I don't believe the story of the Great Flood...

Post by _subgenius »

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Drifting wrote:Edited to add: This should be to "Nipper" but my automatic spell checker seems to have developed a sense of humour!

glad one of you finally did
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

Drifting wrote:
LittleNipper wrote:Interestingly but not surprising, you entirely failed to explain how the following could exist and not be the result of the Flood. They certainly do not fit the uniformitarian mold. And I just wonder ---how much of this sort of stuff is suppressed because evolutionists have no answers but now control universities, the science museums, government research facilities, etc.:
http://www.Bible.ca/tracks/dating-radiometric.htm

Nipple, you are correct, the flood "could" have happened.
But then you would have to concede that we "could" have originated as a species exactly the way the Scientologists explain that we came about....and that the moon "could" be made of cheese. Both have a similar amount of evidence supporting their claim as does the flood.

Edited to add: This should be to "Nipper" but my automatic spell checker seems to have developed a sense of humour!

The Bible never stated that the moon is made of green cheese. And it has been visites and proven not to be. As for Scientology, it is not worthy of my time. I do feel that there exists supressed information and artifacts that cannot be explained. The likelyhood is that at one time such were displayed, but evolutionists are far too concerned about creationism to suggest they might be in error. And such anomalies would only serve to undermind evolutionary thought, underminding their position of "authority."

More anomalies: https://www.christiancourier.com/articl ... wrong-tree

http://www.faithfacts.org/evolution-or- ... -anomalies

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/ ... -evolution

http://www.anointed-one.net/quotes.html
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

LittleNipper wrote:

Interestingly but not surprising, you entirely failed to explain how the following could exist and not be the result of the Flood. They certainly do not fit the uniformitarian mold. And I just wonder ---how much of this sort of stuff is suppressed because evolutionists have no answers but now control universities, the science museums, government research facilities, etc.:
http://www.Bible.ca/tracks/dating-radiometric.htm

I'm not going to spend hours chasing down every picture you can pull off of some creationist website. The guy who wrote the article you linked to was a computer science professor. His many, many errors in things geological have been documented. Use the google.

How does anything embedded in 110 million year old limestone help you at all? It's still 110 million years old. And here's a hint: is there any property of limestone that would allow a piece of wood to be transported inside a limestone formation? Look up limestone and educate yourself on its properties.

The St. Helens dating results from some serious flaws in the testing. You can google that one, too.

Your last sentence explains exactly why I don't want you anywhere near my children's classroom. To attribute facts you don't like to some kind of conspiracy is ignorant and delusional. Actually, someone is lying to you. But it's not the scientists -- it's the creationists who publish these websites and books. They lie about the science. They lie about the facts. They lie about the scientists. Why not ask yourself: why are these good christians lying to you?

I don't care if you want to remain ignorant in your little YEC bubble. If you choose to foist that ignorance on your children, I feel sorry for them. But you're not going to use the power of government to spread ignorance and delusion to my children.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

subgenius wrote:
Brad Hudson wrote:What you studiously avoid is that you have not shown, and cannot show, that the use of the sphere as an approximation is material to the calculation.

i do not have to show that (though i already have- see below, again)...the burden of proof is yours because you are making the claim that it is material to the calculation.LINK
You have yet to even address the inconsistencies in your model...such as assuming an average radius of sea level, but not an average radius of land level. This is sufficient to "prove" that using the sphere is not material to a calculation that is being used to justify an absolute statement of impossibility - which, ironically, is something that science can never do!

I'm perfectly fine with the answer: godddidt. But you're just tap dancing now.

interestingly enough, your argument does not hold water either.

LOL. The guy claiming the earth was entirely covered with water within the last 6,000 years is relying on a burden of proof fallacy? You really crack me up.

Look, I know the game. You don't care about the facts because you've already decided you know the "truth." When the facts don't agree with your holy book, you're going with the book every time. All you do is through up a bunch of smoke and mirrors to convince yourself that there is some wiggle room. Then you declare victory and try to close down the discussion. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

If you think that, as you say, not assuming an average radius of land level materially affects the calculation, explain how it does that. How would it change the calculation? will the change reduce the calculated water shortage enough to make a difference? You've already led us on a wild goose chase using animations of the geoid that turned out not to be material to the calculation. If you can't explain how and why your latest objection is material, then it's just more tappity, tappity, tap.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

LittleNipper wrote:

The Bible never stated that the moon is made of green cheese. And it has been visites and proven not to be. As for Scientology, it is not worthy of my time. I do feel that there exists supressed information and artifacts that cannot be explained. The likelyhood is that at one time such were displayed, but evolutionists are far too concerned about creationism to suggest they might be in error. And such anomalies would only serve to undermind evolutionary thought, underminding their position of "authority."

More anomalies: https://www.christiancourier.com/articl ... wrong-tree

http://www.faithfacts.org/evolution-or- ... -anomalies

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/ ... -evolution

http://www.anointed-one.net/quotes.html[/quote]

LOL! Really, LN? Large female breasts are an anomaly that proves goddidit?

_Drifting
_Emeritus

Post by _Drifting »

I know you're used to failing, but this one is big even by your standards.
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Keith McMullin - Counsellor in Presiding Bishopric

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator
_Drifting
_Emeritus

Post by _Drifting »

LittleNipper wrote:The Bible never stated that the moon is made of green cheese.

The Bible never stated that blood can be transfused, but you believe it can be, right?

And it has been visites and proven not to be.

Now you want to believe in scientific explanation?

As for Scientology, it is not worthy of my time.

Why not?

I do feel that there exists supressed information and artifacts that cannot be explained.

Why do you feel this?
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Keith McMullin - Counsellor in Presiding Bishopric

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Brad Hudson wrote:LOL. The guy claiming the earth was entirely covered with water within the last 6,000 years is relying on a burden of proof fallacy? You really crack me up.

i never claimed when...i believe i have only claimed that it is possible, if you can find that claim...otherwise i have specifically just disputed another's claim.

Brad Hudson wrote:Look, I know the game. You don't care about the facts because you've already decided you know the "truth."

funny...someone was just saying this about your posts.
Brad Hudson wrote:When the facts don't agree with your holy book, you're going with the book every time. All you do is through up a bunch of smoke and mirrors to convince yourself that there is some wiggle room. Then you declare victory and try to close down the discussion. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

cherry picking through approximation is not "Facts".
Pretending the earth is a sphere is also not a "fact".
The only smoke and mirrors has been in your "calculations" as they were derived from a bad model...but since you did the math you were convinced that the model suddenly became good.
Even the fundamental assumption that a global flood must mean a concentric sphere of water must envelope the earth is flawed....but that simple notion has so far escaped you.
while you mistakenly reduce the earth to a sphere, its surfaces are more like the apple or the egg.

Brad Hudson wrote:If you think that, as you say, not assuming an average radius of land level materially affects the calculation, explain how it does that. How would it change the calculation?

If you are unable to understand that reducing the earth to a sphere with an average radius while assuming that Everest would still be at the same elevation is a flaw - then no wonder the Mount Chimborazo example is lost on you.
Brad Hudson wrote:will the change reduce the calculated water shortage enough to make a difference? You've already led us on a wild goose chase using animations of the geoid that turned out not to be material to the calculation. If you can't explain how and why your latest objection is material, then it's just more tappity, tappity, tap.

if you average/reduce one then you have to for all
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth
a mean height of 840 meters....but not as a concetric layer for the entire earth
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth#Hydrosphere
If all the land on Earth were spread evenly, water would rise to an altitude of more than 2.7 km
The total surface area of the Earth is 5.1×108 km2. To first approximation, the average depth would be the ratio of the two, or 2.7 km.
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

Drifting wrote:
LittleNipper wrote:The Bible never stated that the moon is made of green cheese.

The Bible never stated that blood can be transfused, but you believe it can be, right?

And it has been visites and proven not to be.

Now you want to believe in scientific explanation?

As for Scientology, it is not worthy of my time.

Why not?

I do feel that there exists supressed information and artifacts that cannot be explained.

Why do you feel this?

Uniformitarianists say Noah's Flood never happened and the Bible says it happened. Therefore you can still accept it happed just as the Bible says. All that Scientologists are interested in are the rich and the famous. They don't believe the Bible is without error. In fact they might be more like Mormons then Mormons... And i feel that data is being surpressed because many strange things which were on display in science museums are no longer on display (I'm 59 and have been around alot).