Why I don't believe the story of the Great Flood...

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Re: Why I don't believe the story of the Great Flood...

Post by _subgenius »

Brad Hudson wrote:Try again. If you reduce the earth down to the size of an egg, how much longer will the equatorial diameter be than the polar? (Hint: this has nothing to do with the shape of the atmosphere. It has to do with your refusal to acknowledge the actual scale of the departures from spherical shape.)

You keep doing the same thing over and over: claiming that these "distortions" are material to the calculation being performed. We already adjusted for the water being pulled by gravity in different ways by testing the magnitude of the effect of adjusting to the geoid. Not only is it immaterial to the calculation, it increases the amount of water needed to cover the highest point above sea level.

Your point about the surface area is a red herring. I'm using Steelead's calculation for the amount of additional water needed, which takes into account the displacement of the water by land currently above sea level.

All models are simplifications. No model is exactly correct. The question is: is the model useful for answer the question being posed. None of the objections you have raised to the model can make up for the missing water. All you are doing is jumping up and down and yelling "simplification!" and pretending that matters.

point being there is no missing water...your calculations are based on a flawed model - so to insist that they are sufficient is bad science...you and steelhead have been perpetuating bad science the whole time.
"Reducing" the planet down to an orange or an egg is ridiculous because the proportions are the same - your attempts to "distort" the planet into an orange is the fundamental flaw. Followed by bad math whereas you average the earth's radius for one volume but maintain an extreme radius for another volume - all of which assume that water must maintain a constant radius around the planet during a 'flood'....yet all the basic science available today contradicts that. (hint : go play with your oranges on your own time)
You consistently proclaim that you are correct about your assertions but refuse to actually prove or justify it...beyond saying "those details do not matter"...ergo bad science....worse conclusion.
Nobody is claiming that you can not add and subtract but your ability to identify and formulate are definitely in question.

You are correct about one thing...no model is exactly correct...some are more accurate than others....and yet to make a profoundly scientifically-irresponsible statement of "that is impossible!" your posts have relied on the least accurate of all.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

subgenius wrote:
Brad Hudson wrote:Try again. If you reduce the earth down to the size of an egg, how much longer will the equatorial diameter be than the polar? (Hint: this has nothing to do with the shape of the atmosphere. It has to do with your refusal to acknowledge the actual scale of the departures from spherical shape.)

You keep doing the same thing over and over: claiming that these "distortions" are material to the calculation being performed. We already adjusted for the water being pulled by gravity in different ways by testing the magnitude of the effect of adjusting to the geoid. Not only is it immaterial to the calculation, it increases the amount of water needed to cover the highest point above sea level.

Your point about the surface area is a red herring. I'm using Steelead's calculation for the amount of additional water needed, which takes into account the displacement of the water by land currently above sea level.

All models are simplifications. No model is exactly correct. The question is: is the model useful for answer the question being posed. None of the objections you have raised to the model can make up for the missing water. All you are doing is jumping up and down and yelling "simplification!" and pretending that matters.

point being there is no missing water...your calculations are based on a flawed model - so to insist that they are sufficient is bad science...you and steelhead have been perpetuating bad science the whole time.
"Reducing" the planet down to an orange or an egg is ridiculous because the proportions are the same - your attempts to "distort" the planet into an orange is the fundamental flaw. Followed by bad math whereas you average the earth's radius for one volume but maintain an extreme radius for another volume - all of which assume that water must maintain a constant radius around the planet during a 'flood'....yet all the basic science available today contradicts that. (hint : go play with your oranges on your own time)
You consistently proclaim that you are correct about your assertions but refuse to actually prove or justify it...beyond saying "those details do not matter"...ergo bad science....worse conclusion.
Nobody is claiming that you can not add and subtract but your ability to identify and formulate are definitely in question.

You are correct about one thing...no model is exactly correct...some are more accurate than others....and yet to make a profoundly scientifically-irresponsible statement of "that is impossible!" your posts have relied on the least accurate of all.

subgenius,

As a professional scientist who has served as a journal, editor, reviewed well over 100 technical papers for publication in scientific journals, and who is presently consulting on, among other things, the development of layers for a GIS system for a large section of the Middle East, I have to tell you that Steel Head and Brad are not the ones on this thread who are demonstrating, post after silly post, an astonishing lack of understanding when it comes to Earth's geomorphology and Earth science, not to mention solid geometry and math in general.

Do you have any idea how silly your claims and objections to perfectly sensible use of approximations and models on this thread sound to someone who knows what they are talking about?

Any idea at all?
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

DrW,
you have to realize you are trying to teach someone who has no grasp of math or geometry.

From page 10 of this thread....
Subgenius wrote:let us look at actual numbers.

The volume of all the water on earth is approx 332.5 million cubic miles
This much water just atop the United States would be 170 miles deep
There is more freshwater "inside" the earth than "on" it (lakes, rivers, etc..)
70.8% of earth's surface is water, thus 29.2% is available for flooding....this assumes that 29.2% was available during Noah's flood, not more and not less..there is no way to determine either with any degree of accuracy.(20% of the land surface is already covered with snow/ice)
1,603,176,817,000,000 sq ft of land surface
the highest point on land is Mt Everest at +29k feet
48,095,304,510,000,000,000 cu.ft of water...or 326,738,952 million cubic miles
So, we see that there is enough water currently available on earth to flood the entire available land surface to over the top of the highest point of land (Everest).
However, this only leaves 5.8 million cubic miles of water to "fill in" where there was no previous available land surface....which was a water surface area of 3,887,192,497,000,000 sq feet or 139,433,845 sq miles...or about 221 feet of water depth for that surface area.

I think this was an attempt to linearly extrapolate....... a volume growing at the cube of the radius.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

SteelHead wrote:DrW,
you have to realize you are trying to teach someone who has no grasp of math or geometry.

From page 10 of this thread....
Subgenius wrote:let us look at actual numbers.

The volume of all the water on earth is approx 332.5 million cubic miles
This much water just atop the United States would be 170 miles deep
There is more freshwater "inside" the earth than "on" it (lakes, rivers, etc..)
70.8% of earth's surface is water, thus 29.2% is available for flooding....this assumes that 29.2% was available during Noah's flood, not more and not less..there is no way to determine either with any degree of accuracy.(20% of the land surface is already covered with snow/ice)
1,603,176,817,000,000 sq ft of land surface
the highest point on land is Mt Everest at +29k feet
48,095,304,510,000,000,000 cu.ft of water...or 326,738,952 million cubic miles
So, we see that there is enough water currently available on earth to flood the entire available land surface to over the top of the highest point of land (Everest).
However, this only leaves 5.8 million cubic miles of water to "fill in" where there was no previous available land surface....which was a water surface area of 3,887,192,497,000,000 sq feet or 139,433,845 sq miles...or about 221 feet of water depth for that surface area.

I think this was an attempt to linearly extrapolate....... a volume growing at the cube of the radius.

I think it was a vicious and unwarranted assault on common sense.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

As Sub seems to not understand models I will repost an earlier one. This one uses the smallest radius of the earth as listed on wiki. The smallest radius while not being a true volume will result in the absolute minimum volume of water needed to fill a volume of a sphere from the smallest radius (6353 km), to the smallest radius plus the height of geography (6353 km + 8.85km). This is the most favorable model for flood proponents.

1074051671474.8 cubic km

Now add 8.85 km to the radius that you used previously.
Use this radius and again calculate the volume of the sphere.
1078546526571.3 cubic km

Subtract the first result from the second. The result is the volume of water needed to go from sea level to the top of Everest.
4494855096.49 cubic km

Then I provided this estimation which grossly overestimates the displacement of land across the surface of the Earth. Again which favors the proponents.

Take the mean radius of Earth at 6371 km and add 1 km to account for the average height of land (800 m more or less). Calculate the volume. This assumes the landmass is across the whole globe grossly overestimating the land displacement and giving:
1083717061382 cubic km.

Now add 8.84 (rounding down to help out your cause) to that radius and calculate.
1087722146034 cubic km

Delta v
4005084652.7 cubic km

I guess I could use the min radius + 1km for the initial volume and run the numbers again (which would be the absolute best case scenario for the proponents)....... but the results are still going to be like 1.7 times the amount of water on the planet (doing a rough estimate in my head).
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Subgenius, you miss the entire point of looking at the egg and the apple. It's not ridiculous to shrink the earth to the size of an egg when the question is: is the earth shaped like an egg? And if you did the math, you know that whether you shrink the earth to the size of an egg or grow the egg to the size of the earth, the earth looks nothing like the egg and is indistinguishable from a sphere to the naked eye. Every time you post a picture of an apple or an egg and compare it to the earth, you are being dishonest. Every time you post an animation of the geoid that exaggerates its effect by 7000 times and claim that the animation is what the earth actually looks like, you are being dishonest.

Now, back to your objection d'jour: the difference between the earth and a perfect sphere. Yes, the earth is an oblate spheroid -- .33% wider at the equator than it's diameter from pole to pole. The reason it is shaped that way is because it rotates -- centrifugal force at the equator is strongest, and weakens as one moves to the poles. This redistributes the water on the surface of the earth, as compared to a stationary sphere. In fact, if the earth were to slow down and stop rotating, we'd end up with two large seas, one at each pole, with a solid band of land separating them around the equator. (In case you're wondering, that wouldn't help Noah. The tallest mountain above sea level would be about 12K in height, as opposed to the current 8K.

So, what does this mean for our thought experiment? It means that, as we add water to the surface of the oceans, the water won't distribute evenly. If we add enough for an average increase in 1K, locations closer to the equator will experience sea level rise of more than 1K, while those closer to the poles than the equator will experience less. The departure from average will be greatest at the equator and the poles, while locations half way between will experience the average of 1K sea level rise.

The model I've been using does not account for that. So what do I do? Well, it is all math. There is an equation that would tell us what percentage the deviation would be at each latitude. I don't know what it is and my math skills are not sufficient to derive it. It would be a little complicated, because, as we add water, the earth's rotation would slow down and so the effect of the rotation would diminish. So, one approach I could take is to ask around to people who study the earth to help me derive the equation. And I would do that if I wanted to know the exact answer as to how much water I'd need to to cover the tallest peak.

But I don't really want to know that. All I want to know is: if all the water available on the earth, in the earth, or above the earth is enough to cover the entire earth. So, is there I way I can do that without the equation I don't have? Luckily, there is. I can't use any mountain that is closer to the equator than the poles, as I know the increase in sea level will be greater than average, but I don't know by how much. But, I can use mountains closer to the poles than the equator, because the sea level rise will be less than the average. Therefore, if I add the available additional water and it doesn't coverage a peak north of the 45th parallel in the N. Hemisphere, there isn't enough water. I'll pick a mountain much closer to the pole than the equator: Denali in Alaska.

Denali doesn't crack the top 100 peaks in altitude, but it's no slouch at 6196 meters. At 63 degrees north, it's much closer to the pole than to the equator. Again, what that means is, if I add enough water to raise the sea level by 1K on my non-spinning spherical model of the earth, the sea level at Denali will rise by less than 1K.

Now to the calculations. Note that, whenever I need to make an assumption in the calculation, I'm making one that is ridiculously weighted in Noah's favor. That way, if I add all the available water in the earth system to the oceans and I fail to cover Denali, I can say with complete confidence that Noah is out of luck.

Okay, in my last set of calculations, I derived the total water in and above the earth that is available to add to the oceans. I'm going to assume that I can add all this water to the oceans. This is a ridiculous assumption in Noah's favor -- it means that the entire atmosphere would have an absolute humidity of zero. It means that all the underground aquifers somehow manage to move from underground into the oceans. It assumes that every drop of rain that falls would end up in the ocean.

Total water in, on, or above the earth: 1,386,000,000 cu km http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/earthhowmuch.html
Total water, less ocean water: 48,510,000 cu km (because sea water is already reflected in current sea level)

Now, I'm going to take that water and add it to the surface of a perfect, non-rotating sphere with the radius of the earth to calculate how much it would increase the radius.

Average earth radius: 6371 km
Volume of earth: 1,083,206,916,846 cu km
Volume of earth plus volume of additional water available to raise sea level: 1083255426846
Radius of sphere with volume equal to earth plus additional water available: 6371.1 km.

Amount sea level would increase on a perfectly smooth, non-rotating sphereL 100 meters.

But, of course, the earth is not a perfectly smooth sphere. The actual sea level rise on a sphere with the topography of earth will be higher, because there is land that prevents the water from spreading out uniformly on the surface of the globe. How much higher? Well, the average height of land above sea level is about 850 meters. To be ridiculously fair to Noah, let's pretend that the 100 meters of sea level increase actually covers all the land there is above sea level Again, another ridiculous assumption in Noah's favor. That gets us to a total average increase of 950 meters. And again, to be utterly, ridiculously fair to Noah, let's round that up to 1km.

That's right, making every assumption in favor of Noah to the point of absurdity, the maximum possible increase in average sea level for a non-rotating earth would be 1 km.

But, the earth is rotating. That means sea level increase will be more than 1K south of the 45th parallel and less to the north. Now maybe it's possible, just possible, that a 1K increase in average sea level will translate into 8K of sea level rise at Mt. Everest. I can't disprove it with my meager math skills, so I'll let that one go.

But I have shown that the sea level rise at Denali cannot exceed 1K. And how high is Denali above sea level: 6K. Poor Noah is over 5 kilometers short.
But, hey, who really cares about some remote peak up in Alaska? Let's look at where I live in Washington. All of Washington state is above the 45th parallel (It's located just north of Salem, OR). Here's an elevation map of Washington. http://www.netstate.com/states/geograph ... apscom.htm All the dark and light orange is higher than 1K above sea level. And that's just one state. In one country.

Absent magic, it simply is not possible for the earth to have been completely flooded at anytime within the last 6000 years. There is not enough water. Not by just a little. Not by just a lot. Noah is short by a massive amount of water.

There's a fair amount of math in this post, and it's entirely possible I've made an error. Please check my work and I'll be happy to make any corrections. And if the corrections change the conclusion, I'll be happy to modify that, too.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Gaia
_Emeritus

Post by _Gaia »

LittleNipper wrote:Yes, the FLOOD did happened. People have always been know-it-alls. And it likely the ocean is far more salty today than it was thousands of years ago. Also, it is possible for pockets of salt and fresh water to exist together...

GAIA:

Hi There, Nipper -

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but as far as the ocean being more salty -- Nope.

In fact, it's salinity is something that has been measured. And as it turns out, it's part of what's called the "Ocean Conveyor Belt" process --salt water is heavier and sinks, which contributes to the process by which warm air and water from the tropics are spread around the planet and up into the Northern areas, thereby giving western Europe and England a much warmer climate than they would have otherwise.

And of course, a major concern right now is that because the ocean is LESS salty (due to influx of fresh water from melting polar ice) and warmer than it's been in many thousands of years, the sea is rising, and worldwide climate is changing. See for example:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ocean+c ... New Testament=firefox

Blessings - Gaia
_Gaia
_Emeritus

Post by _Gaia »

moksha wrote:[quote=

Sounds like someone should have warned Noah about Lot. Was Noah on one of his benders at that time? Perhaps he was asking for it, especially if he also had on a short skirt and high heels.

GAIA:

<<<<<<<< SMOOCH! >>>>>>> :wink:
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

DrW wrote:subgenius,

ah, you have returned from actually reading about how the flood occurred?

DrW wrote:As a professional scientist who has served as a journal, editor, reviewed well over 100 technical papers for publication in scientific journals, and who is presently consulting on, among other things, the development of layers for a GIS system for a large section of the Middle East,

Your 1st logical fallacy = http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/appeal-to-authority
"It is important to note with this fallacy that authorities in given fields may very well have valid arguments, and that one should not dismiss another's experience and expertise. To form an argument, however, one must defend it on its merits i.e. know why the person in authority holds the particular position that they do. It is, of course, entirely possible that the opinion of a person or institution of authority is wrong; therefore the authority that such a person or institution holds does not have any intrinsic bearing upon whether their claims are true or not." (emphasis mine)

(by the way...a "professional scientist"? does this means you have a license to practice science?....i mean for architecture we have to be state registered after exams, experience, and education requirements are met....lawyers and doctors have similar qualifications...even Certified Public Accountants get a license....soooo....how exactly does one make the jump from amateur scientist to "professional"?.....is there a draft?...some sort of cool science combine?....i must say it would be fascinating to know)

DrW wrote:I have to tell you that Steel Head and Brad are not the ones on this thread who are demonstrating, post after silly post, an astonishing lack of understanding when it comes to Earth's geomorphology and Earth science, not to mention solid geometry and math in general.

No, they are just displaying an inadequate understanding of the "problem".
Even i can do this math
But their hypothetical is flawed - simply put, it is wrong on many levels to satisfy their claim - the burden is still upon them to prove that a global flood "is impossible" 6 years, 6,000 years, or even 6,000,000 years ago.
I will even waive the glaring bad-science of claiming that anything is impossible and let any of you guys present an argument that can maintain its integrity after scrutiny....not a peer-review mind you, because it is apparent that you think of no other as being your equal.

DrW wrote:Do you have any idea how silly your claims and objections to perfectly sensible use of approximations and models on this thread sound to someone who knows what they are talking about?

Any idea at all?

To claim they are sensible and to prove them as sensible are two different tasks...even a bad scientist knows this.

Your 2nd logical fallacy = http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/tu-quoque
"Pronounced too-kwo-kee. Literally translating as 'you too' this fallacy is commonly employed as an effective red herring because it takes the heat off the accused having to defend themselves and shifts the focus back onto the accuser themselves. The implication is that if one's opponent also does the thing that they are accused of, then their opponent is a hypocrite. Irrespective of whether this might be true or not, the problem lies in the fact that it is effectively a tactic to avoid recognizing and responding to the criticism of one's argument - by turning it back on the accuser, the accused doesn't need to answer the accusation."(emphasis mine)
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

DrW wrote:I think it was a vicious and unwarranted assault on common sense.

common sense went out the window when Brad wanted to reduce the earth to an orange and hold it out at arm's length