Why I don't believe the story of the Great Flood...

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Drifting
_Emeritus

Why I don't believe the story of the Great Flood...

Post by _Drifting »

Okay, a quick recap on the story:

World wicked, Noah told to build a boat, Noah fills boat with animals and good people (circa 8), people thing he's a looney to build a boat in an area with minimal rain fall, rains for 40 days and nights, whole earth flooded, everyone and everthing dies except the people and animals on the ark.

Now, put yourself in the shoes of the unrighteous people; the ones who mocked Noah for building a boat because a flood was coming.

Okay, you don't believe him. But then it satrts to rain. A lot. In a few hours puddles start to appear, in a fews hours streams become torrents, in a few days perhaps low lying areas start to disappear underwater. It reaches your shins, then days later it's up to your waist. Houses become half filled with water, animals start swimming around and drowning. Small children and babies have to be held above the adults heads etc.
People are moving to higher and higher ground as less and less land becomes visible. And so it continues until, after forty days there ain't no land to be had. You swim for as long as you can and then drown, along with your wife and kids.

Here's the unbelievable bit.

Why, at no point did you think "hmmm, perhaps Noah was right let's build a boat"? Boats existed, people went fishing etc. Why not stash some of these boats with food like a lifeboat?

Why, at no point did you think "hmmm, perhaps Noah was right, let's go and get on his boat"? 8 people could not have resisted the sodden mob that came rushing up the hill to board him when they saw the waters rising.

No, instead, you ignored Noah's boat, ingnored your own boats, ignored the urgency of perhaps building a boat and allowed the waters to slowly rise until you were fish food.
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Keith McMullin - Counsellor in Presiding Bishopric

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator
_krose
_Emeritus

Re: Why I don't believe the story of the Great Flood...

Post by _krose »

There is so much evidence lined up against the flood myth, it's not even fair. Logic, history, archaeology, geology, facts about the oceans, plant life, sea life, and on and on.

But you make a good point. Plenty of people lived near the water and had boats they could have just jumped in when the waters rose. And how hard would it be to just lash together a few pieces of wood to make a raft, perhaps even parts of your barn roof while sitting on it?
"The DNA of fictional populations appears to be the most susceptible to extinction." - Simon Southerton
_krose
_Emeritus

Post by _krose »

Drifting wrote:... until you were fish food.

Well, this part couldn't be true, because fish and other sea life would not have survived a water event as described in the Bible.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The DNA of fictional populations appears to be the most susceptible to extinction." - Simon Southerton
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

Yes, the FLOOD did happened. People have always been know-it-alls. And it likely the ocean is far more salty today than it was thousands of years ago. Also, it is possible for pockets of salt and fresh water to exist together...
_just me
_Emeritus

Post by _just me »

LittleNipper wrote:Yes, the FLOOD did happened. People have always been know-it-alls. And it likely the ocean is far more salty today than it was thousands of years ago. Also, it is possible for pockets of salt and fresh water to exist together...

But it is not possible for vegetation to survive a flood of that magnitude.
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

Nor is it possible to fit all the animals on the ark, nor for mayflies to survive.

I can go on and on about the impossiblities of the flood story.

But nipper (who I think is a hoops sock puppet) will assure you that it happened as some 8k year old sheepherder said it did.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_son of Ishmael
_Emeritus

Post by _son of Ishmael »

Some guy a lot smarter that me already figured out that there is not enough water to cover the entire earth even with melted ice caps. Additionally even if there was enough water there is no way that it could have rained enough in 40 days to actually cover the earth.

There is not one shred of evidence that even supports the idea of a global flood. Oh of course it is in the Bible and I guess for some that is enough.
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. - Galileo

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk - Tom Waits
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

Who among you, believes that God exists? Who among you believes that Jesus gave up His soul and then arose from the dead? To believe everything else in the Bible is so much easier... I really don't get the mis-application of man's logic. God makes the learning of men seem pathetically lacking. I know where I am going to place my faith, and it isn't among the pharisees and sadducees of todays scientific community.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_just me
_Emeritus

Post by _just me »

LittleNipper wrote:Who among you, believes that God exists? Who among you believes that Jesus gave up His soul and then arose from the dead? To believe everything else in the Bible is so much easier... I really don't get the mis-application of man's logic.

Do you also believe that Lot's young daughters raped him and got pregnant?
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

just me wrote:
LittleNipper wrote:Who among you, believes that God exists? Who among you believes that Jesus gave up His soul and then arose from the dead? To believe everything else in the Bible is so much easier... I really don't get the mis-application of man's logic.

Do you also believe that Lot's young daughters raped him and got pregnant?

The Bible portrays the good the bad and the ugly. Yes, I certainly do. The very same sort of thing appears to have happened to Noah...