For former Mormons who became atheists

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Lightworker
_Emeritus

For former Mormons who became atheists

Post by _Lightworker »

Hi everyone! Former Mormon here. I've noticed a trend among members who leave to turn to atheism. I find this really sad and would just like to target the atheist audience here if possible. Theists feel free to join in the discussion though.

I respect atheism and skepticism and don't think atheists go to hell. I will never convert to atheism because I have knowledge, beyond just belief, of the Divine. It is possible to attain knowledge. Though I say I know, I am not dogmatic. I see all religions as One and they are all true and not true at the same time. Everybody has their own individual path of growth to knowledge, although there is only one way to get it. My way involves harmonizing my being with nature and the source and end of all existence, which is pure love and light. When this is done it can be realized that there is no separation between God and yourself. All is One, I call this the Unity.

The intellect, although very useful, cannot prove or disprove the Divine. It is beyond the mind. That being said don't expect perfection from my words or intellectual philosophies and ideas because I am like a baby. I have all kinds of ideas but I don't know anything really. It's in my nature to toss around ideas though so I like to debate these kinds of things, as long as the debate is heart centered. The heart is where the truth is. The mind will never figure it out, but it is possible to align the heart with the mind. When this happens glimpses of Reality occur. The being is flooded with light, much like the burning in the bosom that prophet Joseph Smith described.

I think Joseph Smith was a prophet, but not to be put on a pedestal as THE prophet. I personally know many prophets and prophetesses. They have their egos and are wrong much of the time when attached to them. Such was the fate of Smith in my opinion, but he did teach quite a bit of truth. The Spirit that testifies of these truths is real, but people have to come to terms intellectually with Spirit and they mix their own ideas and opinions about what Spirit was saying and become dogmatic about a certain way of doing things, and are led astray by their own minds. This is the not true part. The true part is the love and light from Spirit.

God/Goddess is Love. The purpose of life, in my opinion, is to learn to love, despite suffering. When in harmony with love, the being is filled with light and peace. When out of harmony, the being is sickened with darkness and despair.

Now that my paradigm is stated out in the open you can know where I am coming from.

So, with all of that being said I would like to pose a question to atheists. How can you define love? How can it be described scientifically? How can your intellect grasp it?

Many atheist focus on science. I believe in science. My opinion is that creation started with the big bang and will end in a big crunch. It is simply the exhale and inhale of God. Like our own lungs and our own heart beat. Expansion and contraction, duality, is what creates time and space. There are dimensions beyond time and space however, in my opinion.

So atheists, the only reason you don't know God is because you don't know love. Is love in the mind? If so, how can it be categorized, compartmentalized, and explained rationally? I am open for debate on this one. I'd like to know your honest opinions.
Love is all there is.
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Re: For former Mormons who became atheists

Post by _Tobin »

I think you aren't understanding why they become atheists Lightworker. It is precisely BECAUSE they refuse to seek God, speak with God and do as God commands that they end up losing their testimony and in many cases turn and attempt to discredit, attack, and tear down the works of God (as futile and ultimately fruitless as that sounds). They just can't help themselves. They are not dedicated to the Lord, but are instead mostly egotistical, self-centered, selfish, full of misconceptions, spiteful, hard hearted, and many dive into sins their former lives kept them from. It is just part of human nature to degenerate like that when you turn your back on God.
"You lack vision, but I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night.... Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful." -- Judge Doom
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

Is Derrick back?

Your assertion that atheists do not know love is absurd. The onus is yours to show that there is anything more to love than the mind and normal electro chemical reactions common to humanity.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Lightworker
_Emeritus

Post by _Lightworker »

SteelHead wrote:Is Derrick back?

Your assertion that atheists do not know love is absurd. The onus is yours to show that there is anything more to love than the mind and normal electro chemical reactions common to humanity.

No proof here. I can't prove or disprove Spirit. Please explain those chemical reactions. In my opinion the chemicals are composed of energy, which energy in it's most fundamental from is Love itself. And no I am not Derrick.
Love is all there is.
_Lightworker
_Emeritus

Post by _Lightworker »

Tobin wrote:I think you aren't understanding why they become atheists Lightworker. It is precisely BECAUSE they refuse to seek God, speak with God and do as God commands that they end up losing their testimony and in many cases turn and attempt to discredit, attack, and tear down the works of God (as futile and ultimately fruitless as that sounds). They just can't help themselves. They are not dedicated to the Lord, but are instead mostly egotistical, self-centered, selfish, full of misconceptions, spiteful, hard hearted, and many dive into sins their former lives kept them from. It is just part of human nature to degenerate like that when you turn your back on God.

What you just described is turning away from love. Is that really the case? I have more faith in atheists than that. I think they simply misunderstand. They are stuck in the rational mind. Many atheists are loving altruistic people that simply cannot fathom the paradox.
Love is all there is.
_Mktavish
_Emeritus

Post by _Mktavish »

Last edited by Guest on Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

Lightworker wrote:
Tobin wrote:I think you aren't understanding why they become atheists Lightworker. It is precisely BECAUSE they refuse to seek God, speak with God and do as God commands that they end up losing their testimony and in many cases turn and attempt to discredit, attack, and tear down the works of God (as futile and ultimately fruitless as that sounds). They just can't help themselves. They are not dedicated to the Lord, but are instead mostly egotistical, self-centered, selfish, full of misconceptions, spiteful, hard hearted, and many dive into sins their former lives kept them from. It is just part of human nature to degenerate like that when you turn your back on God.

What you just described is turning away from love. Is that really the case? I have more faith in atheists than that. I think they simply misunderstand. They are stuck in the rational mind. Many atheists are loving altruistic people that simply cannot fathom the paradox.

If you stick around a bit you will see this is tobin's little mantra to those that don't agree with him, but then he never sought God either according to him. God just showed up one day to the evil atheist tobin. You would think if this was the case he would be much less judgmental of others. He ASSumes that if we no longer believe in the LDS church we never sought God.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

Lightworker wrote: I will never convert to atheism because I have knowledge, beyond just belief, of the Divine. It is possible to attain knowledge.

What is this knowledge, and how did you obtain it? by the way I am not atheist, but agnostic with maybe a little atheist leanings.
_just me
_Emeritus

Post by _just me »

Themis wrote:
Lightworker wrote: I will never convert to atheism because I have knowledge, beyond just belief, of the Divine. It is possible to attain knowledge.

What is this knowledge, and how did you obtain it? by the way I am not atheist, but agnostic with maybe a little atheist leanings.

I'd like this answered as well.
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Post by _Tobin »

Mktavish wrote:

Way to go on spoiling Lightworker's non judgmental post with judgments.

@Lightworker ... I to am a former Mormon , but don't believe in organized religion anymore and still feel there is life after death of this mortal existence.

I just had a thought for a life comparison ... so Ill compose that and post it back. Sometimes I take a little while though.

Ah, the common refrain, "Don't judge me. Don't judge me." * whine * whine *

Let me put it bluntly, the reason you are whining about it is BECAUSE it is true. If it weren't, you wouldn't whine about it and dismiss them. It just so happens to be the case that my comments struck close to home and that is why you responded as you did.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You lack vision, but I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night.... Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful." -- Judge Doom