3 Hour Block, what's the point?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Drifting
_Emeritus

3 Hour Block, what's the point?

Post by _Drifting »

Some people need more church than others do. Some don’t need any at all. I’m OK with that. I’m not OK with the idea that everyone needs the same amount. On average, I need 74 minutes.

There’s no organization, including church, where everyone’s precise needs are met. If you don’t think so, next Sunday count how many people are actually paying attention.

Kirby - Salt Lake Tribune

Estimates for the length of human attention span are highly variable and depend on the precise definition of attention being used.
Focused attention is a short-term response to a stimulus that attracts attention. The attention span for this level is very brief, with a maximum span, without any lapse at all, that may be as short as 8 seconds.[2] This level of attention is attracted by a ringing telephone, or other unexpected occurrence. After a few seconds, it is likely that the person will look away, return to a previous task, or think about something else.
Sustained attention is the level of attention that produces the consistent results on a task over time. If the task is handling fragile objects, such as hand-washing delicate crystal glasses, then a person showing sustained attention will stay on task and will not break any dishes. A person who loses focus may break a glass or may stop washing the dishes to do something else. Most healthy teenagers and adults are unable to sustain attention on one thing for more than about 40 minutes at a time, although they can choose repeatedly to re-focus on the same thing.[2] This ability to renew attention permits people to "pay attention" to things that last for more than a few minutes, such as long movies.

Wiki - "Attention Span"

Elder Poelman in 1984 (coincidence?) clearly agreed with Kirby, that differing people need differing amounts of 'Church'.

So, three hours at Church is clearly unproductive as a method of indoctrinating the members...ehm...perfecting the saints. In fact, you could argue the three hour block has the opposite effect. I did as Kirby suggested and observed how many people were paying attention during Sacrament, Sunday School and Priesthood. It was less than fifty percent at any given time and for significant periods less than thirty percent.

There has to be a better way if the Church wishes to recruit and retain members...right?
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Keith McMullin - Counsellor in Presiding Bishopric

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator
_Yoda

Re: 3 Hour Block, what's the point?

Post by _Yoda »

I completely agree with this.

I think that we should go to an hour and a half. 45 minutes for Sacrament meeting and 45 minutes for Sunday School/Primary. Priesthood Meeting could still meet before Sacrament. Relief Society and YM/YW still meet during the week.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

While I agree with the unnecessary length and amounts of meetings, the problem for the Church would be less assignments/responsibilities for people. A primary reason people are given work to do in the Church is to keep them active.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Drifting wrote:So, three hours at Church is clearly unproductive as a method of indoctrinating the members...ehm...perfecting the saints. In fact, you could argue the three hour block has the opposite effect. I did as Kirby suggested and observed how many people were paying attention during Sacrament, Sunday School and Priesthood. It was less than fifty percent at any given time and for significant periods less than thirty percent.

There has to be a better way if the Church wishes to recruit and retain members...right?

you might could make the "attention span" argument with regards to GC, but not for a typical Sunday.
The 3 hour block is actually composed of much smaller time periods.
The first hour is composed of a variety of hymns, Invocation, Business, announcements, 3 separate talks, and a benediction.
The second hour is composed of the transition from the 1st hour (shuffling about), opening and closing prayers, lesson with various discussion points and sometimes various administrative actions occur.
The third hour, for priesthood, sees the transition, opening exercises, announcements, and then another transition to quorums.
Quorums have yet another brief administrative opening, lesson, discussion points, and then closing.
all being subject to various diaper changes and restroom breaks.
The activity level is rather high at any given moment...napping is quite impossible.

I would estimate that the time spent "perfecting" is drastically less than 3 hours...but the edification is throughout.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

They would double the number of people who actually heard the lessons and talks if they had video feeds into the hallways and foyers.

Or if they removed the couches and comfortable chairs from the foyers they would substantially increase the number of people inside the chapel and classrooms.

If they figured out a way to block internet access at the ward houses most of the youth and a large percentage of the adults would actually listen to what was going on in meetings.

OTOH if they just cut Sunday meetings down to half the time maybe so many people would not be looking to relieve their boredom through hallway escapes or internet browsing.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Too bad time spent could not be individually apportioned, perhaps in relation to baggies of Cheerios packaged.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Drifting
_Emeritus

Post by _Drifting »

moksha wrote:Too bad time spent could not be individually apportioned, perhaps in relation to baggies of Cheerios packaged.

I was thought the hymn "The Time Is Far Spent" a little ironic....

(your post reminded of that hymn)
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Keith McMullin - Counsellor in Presiding Bishopric

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator
_son of Ishmael
_Emeritus

Post by _son of Ishmael »

Fence Sitter wrote:"...A primary reason people are given work to do in the Church is to keep them active.

I agree. I Think one of the things that kept me in the church for a long as I did was that I was so busy doing church callings and assignments that I never really had the time to stop and re-evaluate what the church taught. It wasn't until I stopped to help sombody else understand the church's priesthood ban that I started to come to my senses.
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. - Galileo

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk - Tom Waits
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

As a life-timer teacher (I've found during the King's pleasure as best fit expression...) I'd set the attention span to 15 minute, the exact 1/3 of the class time in the army.
So, I managed the 45' classes to be three-parted.

Twas seemed to work. Anyway, I was a succesful teacher... I was liked by my pupils (they were galvanized by my jokes and projected pictures at the break - there was no Shades in our department) and by my leaders (they were less and less as I emerged).

SUMMARY
3 times 15 minute would be enough.
As of today.

For the next time, please see exponential decay
"Decay by two or more processes" at that site describes exactly thechurch. (often called "decay modes", "decay channels", "decay routes" etc.)

[#img] http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ay.svg.png[/img]
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_Koda Crest
_Emeritus

Time Concerns

Post by _Koda Crest »

Preferably, I believe that it was decided on after some deliberation. It seems like, at least in relief society, the teacher of the lesson we are learning ends up wrapping up the last half of the lesson in five minutes. Now, I'm not saying I, or most people for that matter, pay attention constantly during the last two hours of church, but I would think the purpose of church being so long is the fact everyone sort of rants. Even in sacrament, sometimes it just seems like the speakers are going off on the side road of their talk and take a leisurely detour to the point. Maybe if most church members were more short winded the time would be wound down, but all around it is probably just to accommodate the preachers, not the congregation.