My testimony

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_sleepyhead
_Emeritus

My testimony

Post by _sleepyhead »

I testify that about August 2012 while reading threads on the Mormon discussion forum I found a thread which directed me to the following two websites:
http://josephsmithpapers.org/paperDetai ... t-1829?p=1
At the time the websites contained a photocopy of what claimed to be of the actual witness statements by the three and eight witnesses. In examination of the eight person witness statement, or specifically the signatures of the Whitmers on the statement all of the signatures appeared to me to have a similarity indicating to me that they were all signed by the same person.
May all your naps be joyous occasions.
_just me
_Emeritus

Re: My testimony

Post by _just me »

Can't see it. :( The link just opens a blank page on the JSP site.
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_palerobber
_Emeritus

Post by _palerobber »

try these links...
Testimony of Three Witnesses, late June 1829
Testimony of Eight Witnesses, late June 1829

as the source note explains, this is merely the Book of Mormon Printer's Manuscript, in Oliver Cowdery's hand.

it does not pretend to be the original signed statement of the witnesses (if there ever was one).
_just me
_Emeritus

Post by _just me »

palerobber wrote:try these links...

as the source note explains, this is merely the Book of Mormon Printer's Manuscript, in Oliver Cowdery's hand.

it does not pretend to be the original signed statement of the witnesses (if there ever was one).

Thanks! That works and answers my unasked question.
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

sleepyhead wrote:I testify that about August 2012 while reading threads on the Mormon discussion forum I found a thread which directed me to the following two websites:
At the time the websites contained a photocopy of what claimed to be of the actual witness statements by the three and eight witnesses. In examination of the eight person witness statement, or specifically the signatures of the Whitmers on the statement all of the signatures appeared to me to have a similarity indicating to me that they were all signed by the same person.

The signatures of the Smiths involved also appear to have been made by the same hand. They are at least as similar as those of the Whitmers involved, especially when it comes to the handwriting of the last name in each case.

Having seen this, I would really like to know if there was an original copy actually signed by all of the witnesses.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_sleepyhead
_Emeritus

Post by _sleepyhead »

palerobber wrote:try these links...

Thanks palerobber,

I didn't realize that this was a printers manuscript. I withdraw my testimony.
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

There are no witness pages in the Bible. Example: "I Aaron do swear that Moses talked to the Lord, I personally heard it. Pray about it and see if God doesn't back me up... "
_ZelphtheGreat
_Emeritus

Post by _ZelphtheGreat »

Does the Church have the actual copy? "The Church" in any of its various forms? LDS, FLDS, Reformed/Community of Christ, Strangites, Hedrekites, AUB and/or all the others descended from the madness of Joseph?

If so, has there been any checking as to whether any of the signatures were not by separate individuals?
“If paying tithing means that you can’t pay for water or electricity, pay tithing. If paying tithing means that you can’t pay your rent, pay tithing. Even if paying tithing means that you don’t have enough money to feed your family, pay tithing." Ensign/2012/12
_sleepyhead
_Emeritus

Post by _sleepyhead »

Hello zelph,

After I saw the printers copy of the witnesses statement I decided to communicate with the community of Christ (as superwimp). Rgill wrote:

"Today approximately 25 percent of the text of O survives: 1 Nephi 2 through 2 Nephi 1, with gaps; Alma 22 through Helaman 3, with gaps; and a few other fragments. All but one of the authentic pages and fragments of O are housed in the archives of the LDS Historical Department; one-half of a sheet (from 1 Nephi 14) is owned by the University of Utah."

- www.lightplanet.com/Mormons/book_of_mor ... ripts.html

So, the original cover pages probably do not exist anymore.

If you want to read the whole discussion here's the link.
http://cofchrist.oli.us/index.php/topic,20568.0.html
_Drifting
_Emeritus

Post by _Drifting »

If a document existed with the witnesses actual hand written signatures on it would be SO faith promoting the Church would have published it in the front of the Book of Mormon.
In similar fashion to publishing the facsimiles in the Book of Abraham.

That it isn't in there is sufficient to deduce such a document does not exist.
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Keith McMullin - Counsellor in Presiding Bishopric

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator