Guess the age group...

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Drifting
_Emeritus

Guess the age group...

Post by _Drifting »

Can you guess the age group whose Sunday lesson manual contains the following:

"Explain that because the power to have children is such a sacred privilege, Heavenly Father has given us specific instructions regarding the use of this power. These instructions are called the law of chastity. The law of chastity is a commandment to remain sexually clean and pure. This means we should not have sexual relations with anyone but our husband or wife."
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Keith McMullin - Counsellor in Presiding Bishopric

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Re: Guess the age group...

Post by _ludwigm »

Primary.

5 - 7.
In Hungary, 4 - 6.

http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%81ltal%C3%A1nos_iskola
... called general school
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_Drifting
_Emeritus

Post by _Drifting »

Well it was actually from the Primary 5 manual which covers kids in the year group above your guess.

However, further research shows that it may be me that's behind the times in my viewpoint...
(my question to myself was, "why are we teaching this in Church to such young children?")

Almost all U.S. students receive some form of sex education at least once between grades 7 and 12; many schools begin addressing some topics in grades 5 or 6.[44] However, what students learn varies widely, because curriculum decisions are so decentralized. Many states have laws governing what is taught in sex education classes or allowing parents to opt out. Some state laws leave curriculum decisions to individual school districts.[45]
For example, a 1999 study by the Guttmacher Institute found that most U.S. sex education courses in grades 7 through 12 cover puberty, HIV, STIs, abstinence, implications of teenage pregnancy, and how to resist peer pressure. Other studied topics, such as methods of birth control and infection prevention, sexual orientation, sexual abuse, and factual and ethical information about abortion, varied more widely.[46]
Only two forms of sex education are taught in American schools: "abstinence plus" and abstinence-only.[citation needed] Comprehensive or "abstinence plus" sex education covers abstinence as a positive choice, but also teaches about contraception and avoidance of STIs when sexually active. A 2002 study conducted by the Kaiser Family Foundation found that 58% of secondary school principals describe their sex education curriculum as "abstinence plus".
Source: Wikipedia

Good grief are my Grandchildren really going to be learning about the birds and the bee's before they reach ten....*sigh*...
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Keith McMullin - Counsellor in Presiding Bishopric

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

Drifting wrote:Well it was actually from the Primary 5 manual which covers kids in the year group above your guess.
Almost all U.S. students receive some form of sex education at least once between grades 7 and 12; many schools begin addressing some topics in grades 5 or 6.
by the way :exclaim:
My numbers (4-6, 5-7) were years, not grades...
In Hungary, an 5th grade is 11 year old.

Drifting wrote:(my question to myself was, "why are we teaching this in Church to such young children?")
Good grief are my Grandchildren really going to be learning about the birds and the bee's before they reach ten....*sigh*...
I have the opportunity to watch 19 (and a half...) grandchildren.
Last year the No.4 - boy - told us (was 14, 8th grade primary):
Of 6 girl in his class was two technically virgin. And all their classmates knew everything about whens, wheres and with whoms. - His words, and probably true. For one case, I've seen the photo on his mobile phone...

The world we live in.

To paraphrase patriæ infelici fidelis
... it is our world, wrong or right ...
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

Long ago, I taught an older Primary class and was surprised, but pleased, to find the literalness of the Father's parenthood of our spirits being addressed. He is the Father of our spirits in the same way our physical fathers are the fathers of our mortal bodies.
Machina Sublime
Satan's Plan Deconstructed.
Your Best Resource On Joseph Smith's Polygamy.
Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.
_palerobber
_Emeritus

Post by _palerobber »

and yet the Wirthlins filed a federal lawsuit when their 7-year-old read this storybook at school:

it's weird what some people consider appropriate/inappropriate.