The Question: Are Mormons Christian? A Biblical Approach

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Megacles
_Emeritus

Post by _Megacles »

----------
For this topic to work, I believe there must be some ground rules set forth so that we do not veer off into tangential side-topics. I believe we must also assume--for the sake of argument--that the Judeo-Christian god of the Bible exists, and that the Bible generally (read: not necessarily infallibly) declares God's word to humankind.

• First, for this to work, I think there should not be any other Mormon criticisms brought up in this thread, other than the question of whether Mormons are Christian using the text of the Bible as the standard by which this question shall be resolved.
  • Second, any attempt to discuss other topics as a means of distraction (i.e. Joseph Smith's beliefs, his use of the word 'translation', political issues relating to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, The Book of Abraham, Polygamy and church history, temples, and etc.) will be ignored by me, and, I would hope by others here who are interested in genuine discussion about this single question.
  • Third, any signs of copying and pasting large amounts of text from a website without addressing questions and concerns of other participants here will certainly be ignored by me, and, I would hope by others here who are interested in genuine discussion about this single question.
  • Finally, mocking the sacred beliefs of another faith-group, as well as personal insults toward participants will also be ignored (and reported) by me, and, I would hope by others here who are interested in genuine discussion about this single question.

I realize I have no control over what participants say here, but I do have the ability to ignore certain behaviors and will not hesitate to do so.

----------

I will begin:

Mormons are Christian. We believe in the mission of Jesus Christ: that He died so that we might live again, that he is the great redeemer, that he was resurrected on the third day.

Robert L. Millet says it well in his paper entitled Are Latter-day Saints Christian?

Millet wrote:The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has always accepted Jesus of Nazareth as testified of in the Bible: the divine Redeemer and Son of God who atoned for the sins of all mankind and ensured our universal resurrection. The church has never ceased to affirm that there is no other name given whereby man can be saved (see Acts 4:12). Another book that the church reveres as scripture, the Book of Mormon, declares on its title page that it was written "to the convincing of the Jew and Gentile that Jesus is the Christ, the Eternal God, manifesting himself unto all nations."

He goes on to say

Millet wrote:Latter-day Saint beliefs are in harmony with what the Bible calls Christian. The terms Christian or Christians occur only three times in the New Testament (at Acts 11:26; 26:28; and 1 Peter 4:16). In each case these terms simply refer to those who follow Christ, which applies fully to Latter-day Saints.

Some traditional Christians look to the creeds to define, for them, who is or is not Christian. My belief is that the creeds are not in the bible--yes, some of the ideas are found therein, but the most important ideas are not (trinitarianism, for example).

Christianity is about inclusion, not exclusion. Jesus accepted all who sought Him, and we as Christians should do the same.

I invite all who are interested to participate in this discussion.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sincerely,
/\/\EGACLES
_sleepyhead
_Emeritus

Re: The Question: Are Mormons Christian? A New Approach

Post by _sleepyhead »

Megacles wrote:I will begin:

Mormons are Christian. We believe in the mission of Jesus Christ: that He died so that we might live again, that he is the great redeemer, that he was resurrected on the third day.

I agree with you. As long as you define a Christian as one who believes in a certain set of beliefs then if you believe in those beliefs you are a Christian. You can certainly claim your Christian among yourselves. Of course many Christians might list a slightly different set of beliefs. For example you consider resurrecting on the third day important. Was he crucified on a Wednesday or a Friday? Did he rise from the dead on Saturday night or Sunday morning? If it wasn't for Jesus would people not live?
May all your naps be joyous occasions.
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

What was the mission of Christ?
_Megacles
_Emeritus

Post by _Megacles »

sleepyhead wrote:I agree with you. As long as you define a Christian as one who believes in a certain set of beliefs then if you believe in those beliefs you are a Christian. You can certainly claim your Christian among yourselves. Of course many Christians might list a slightly different set of beliefs. For example you consider resurrecting on the third day important. Was he crucified on a Wednesday or a Friday? Did he rise from the dead on Saturday night or Sunday morning? If it wasn't for Jesus would people not live?

Thank you for participating, sleepyhead.

The premise of this thread is whether the Bible's definition of what is and is not Christian includes Mormons. As far as I am aware, the Bible does not define which day Christ was crucified, resurrected, or the particulars of the atonement that you list. Neither does it say that these particulars must be accepted to be considered Christian.

LittleNipper wrote:What was the mission of Christ?

I am not going to entertain your question because I have already answered it in my first post. If you do not take the time to read my post, I cannot take the time to respond to your question here.
Sincerely,
/\/\EGACLES
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

Mormons are so obviously Christian that it is hard to imagine a bone to pick. I think they have some wrong beliefs. So does everybody else including me.

Those for whom Jesus is Lord are Christian.
_The Erotic Apologist
_Emeritus

Post by _The Erotic Apologist »

Megacles wrote:[list][*]First, for this to work, I think there should not be any other Mormon criticisms brought up in this thread, other than the question of whether Mormons are Christian using the text of the Bible as the standard by which this question shall be resolved.
The problem is that too many contemporary Christians rely on the Trinity as a measuring stick to determine who is and is not Christian. To barrow a phrase from Moksha, they're hung up on a "dogmatic checklist". Moreover, they equate scripture study with legalistic word-mincing to such an extent that one wonders whether they venerate the Bible more than Christ.

Megacles--Just to be clear, I'm not criticizing the topic. I think it's great.
Surprise, surprise, there is no divine mandate for the Church to discuss and portray its history accurately.
--Yahoo Bot

I pray thee, sir, forgive me for the mess. And whether I shot first, I'll not confess.
--Han Solo, from William Shakespeare's Star Wars
_Megacles
_Emeritus

Post by _Megacles »

huckelberry wrote:Mormons are so obviously Christian that it is hard to imagine a bone to pick. I think they have some wrong beliefs. So does everybody else including me.

Those for whom Jesus is Lord are Christian.

I agree with you, huckelberry.

The Erotic Apologist wrote:The problem is that too many contemporary Christians rely on the Trinity as a measuring stick to determine who is and is not Christian. To barrow a phrase from Moksha, they're hung up on a "dogmatic checklist". Moreover, they equate scripture study with legalistic word-mincing to such an extent that one wonders whether they venerate the Bible more than Christ.

Megacles--Just to be clear, I'm not criticizing the topic. I think it's great.

Thank you, T.E.A.

I agree with your statement. I thought that, if we could get past the "Bible doesn't include Mormonism as a Christian faith" belief that our friends Jason15 and LittleNipper have put forth, we could move on to other topics (in other threads).

Unfortunately, it looks like Jason15 and LittleNipper are not participating in this thread. (Not enough drama, perhaps?)
Sincerely,
/\/\EGACLES
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

I remember looking the word Christian up in a dictionary one time and the prime definition was one who confesses (believes) Jesus to the Christ.

Of course, there are those who say that to truly follow the path of Jesus you must do good things to help others. Perhaps a combination of those two items are in order. No need to make it more complicated than that unless you are really into bureaucratic gobbledygook and legalisms.

Anyway, let the Priest who is without frock lift the first skirt. Any takers?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_sleepyhead
_Emeritus

Post by _sleepyhead »

LittleNipper wrote:What was the mission of Christ?

Hello LN

It starts at 3 Nephi 27:13 These verses held a great deal of significance for me back when I held to the more traditional Christian beliefs.
May all your naps be joyous occasions.
_jordon3
_Emeritus

Post by _jordon3 »

Hello Megs...good topic and criteria. I hope I can add something of value. I would like to explain why the Christian church does not believe Mormons are Christian. There of coarse are numerous reasons. Information like below push Christians further and further away from accepting Mormons as part of the Christian family. Many would find such statements blasphemy. It seems the Christian church on the larger scale did not really understand what Mormons believed. This is rapidly changing...not sure if it was brought in the light more recently by the Romney situation or the internet...or a combination of both. I do know that people seem to becoming more aware. It might appear that the polls state otherwise, but the tides are changing.

Doctrine And Covenants 135:3 “Joseph Smith, the Prophet and Seer of the Lord has done more, save Jesus only, for the salvation of men in this world than any other man that ever lived in it.”

Doctrines of Salvation: Joseph F. Smith: “There is not salvation without accepting Joseph Smith. If Joseph Smith was verily a prophet, and if he told the truth…then this knowledge is of the most vital importance to the entire world. No man can reject that testimony without incurring the most dreadful consequences for he cannot enter the kingdom of God.” Vol. 1, pp. 189-190

History of the Church: Brigham Young: “Every spirit that confesses that Joseph Smith is a Prophet, that lived and died a Prophet and that the Book of Mormon is true, is of God, and every spirit that does not is of anti-Christ.” Vol. 7, p. 287