"Brand" - the intangible asset

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

"Brand" - the intangible asset

Post by _subgenius »

Images of Christianity: How America’s Top 20 Churches “Brand” Their Message
The list below is ordered from largest denomination to smallest.
"of the top 20 Christian churches, only 3 actively use images of Jesus Christ on their site. Most churches don’t visually emphasize church doctrine or principles, but rather emphasize recent news in the church or upcoming conventions, concerts, and speaking series."

:arrow: The Catholic church’s official website has a heavy visual emphasis on the leadership of the church (primarily the Pope and cardinals) and on great edifices and other structures owned by the church.

:arrow: The Southern Baptist Convention has a heavy visual emphasis on upcoming events (revivals, speakers, and annual meetings) and donations

:arrow: The United Methodist Church has a strong visual emphasis on multiculturalism and global collaboration.

:arrow: Perhaps the most image-rich of all the denominations’ websites, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormon Church) has a heavy visual emphasis on daily living according to Jesus Christ’s teachings. Images emphasize service, strong family relationships, praying, friendship, forgiving, marriage, giving humanitarian aid, sharing the gospel, and remembering heritage. It is one of the few websites that displays actual images of Jesus Christ.

:arrow: The Church of God in Christ has a heavy visual emphasis on registering for upcoming events, mostly large conferences and convocations

:arrow: The National Baptist Convention has a heavy visual emphasis on upcoming events. There is also a strong visual connection to church leadership and voting.

:arrow: Another image-rich site, the Evangelical Lutheran Church has a strong visual emphasis on global outreach and service to the community.

:arrow: The National Baptist Convention of America has a strong visual emphasis on attending upcoming events.

:arrow: Assemblies of God’s website is design much a like a news website with images emphasizing articles and stories around the church

:arrow: A site with relatively fewer images than the others, the images from the Presbyterian Church’s website spotlight local congregations, advertise news and events, and encourage attending workshops and summer camps for youth.

:arrow: One of the least image-rich of the churches listed here, what few visuals exist on the website strongly emphasize leadership and church hierarchy.

:arrow: Another site with relatively few images, the National Missionary Baptist Conventional of America has a visual emphasis on leadership in the church and attending conventions.

:arrow: The Lutheran Church Missouri Synod has a strong visual emphasis on upcoming events and conventions.

:arrow: The Episcopal Church takes an artistic approach to their website. Their images depict events within the church, both historical and contemporary that define what the church is today. This is one of the few websites that actually includes images of Jesus Christ.

:arrow: A very commercial website, the Pentecostal Assemblies of the World has a heavy visual emphasis on attending their conventions.

:arrow: With virtually no photographic images on their website, the Churches of Christ has little visual emphasis. Clipart icons and flashing bullets suggest a lack of funding to build the website.

:arrow: With the use of artwork and imagery of older leadership, the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America has a strong visual emphasis on history and antiquated approaches to Christianity.

:arrow: Very image-rich, the website for the African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church has a strong visual emphasis on taking care of oneself and taking care of others. Images emphasize having health insurance

:arrow: The American Baptist Churches USA has a strong visual emphasis in highlighting church activities.

:arrow: Another image-rich site, Jehovah’s Witnesses emphasize the preaching of the gospel to all the world.

http://thevisualcommunicationguy.com/20 ... r-message/

The link above provides a visual sample of each website as well as a link to each website mentioned. Please, evaluate the author's opinion with the evidence provided....i consider the author's opinion to be fair and accurate. Also, ignore any of the obvious racial/politcal implications, the author mentions none, but they are obvious.

However, is there any significance in how a church brands itself on the internet?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Re: "Brand" - the intangible asset

Post by _Bazooka »

Why does God need a brand?
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Bazooka wrote:Why does God need a brand?

I am not sure that He does, perhaps that is another thread....my question was about churches and branding.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
_sr1030
_Emeritus

Post by _sr1030 »

subgenius wrote:Images of Christianity: How America’s Top 20 Churches “Brand” Their Message
The list below is ordered from largest denomination to smallest.
[i]"of the top 20 Christian churches, only 3 actively use images of Jesus Christ on their site.

:arrow: Perhaps the most image-rich of all the denominations’ websites, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormon Church) has a heavy visual emphasis on daily living according to Jesus Christ’s teachings. Images emphasize service, strong family relationships, praying, friendship, forgiving, marriage, giving humanitarian aid, sharing the gospel, and remembering heritage. It is one of the few websites that displays actual images of Jesus Christ.

I visited the LDS site and found that you had to search for the paintings of Christ, I found some in their image library. I wouldn't call this "actively" using the images. Not that this is significant anyway. Some people just don't like paintings of Christ when we are not sure what he looked like.

I wonder how many of these sites show an image of a cross.

sr
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

While all the groups understand show business, our experience in merchandising really shines through. We could give Tiger Direct a run for their money!!!
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

sr1030 wrote:I visited the LDS site and found that you had to search for the paintings of Christ, I found some in their image library. I wouldn't call this "actively" using the images. Not that this is significant anyway. Some people just don't like paintings of Christ when we are not sure what he looked like.

sr

your visiting skills must be inept, because an image of Christ is on the landing page.
His actual hair color is irrelevant with regard to the imagery being used today, no one is trying to pick him out of a line up.
The idea is "branding"...conveying a principle...creating an identity.
Obviously many churches, of those listed, convey a different identity through different images.

Your post above, as well as others, brings question to the sincerity of your opinion and the ability for you to perform a simple "browse".
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

subgenius wrote:
sr1030 wrote:I visited the LDS site and found that you had to search for the paintings of Christ, I found some in their image library. I wouldn't call this "actively" using the images. Not that this is significant anyway. Some people just don't like paintings of Christ when we are not sure what he looked like.

sr

your visiting skills must be inept, because an image of Christ is on the landing page.
His actual hair color is irrelevant with regard to the imagery being used today, no one is trying to pick him out of a line up.
Obviously many churches, of those listed, convey a different identity through different images.

Your post above, as well as others, brings question to the sincerity of your opinion and the ability for you to perform a simple "browse".

Why is the LDS Brand's version of Christ look like a 6 foot Scandinavian, rather than a middle eastern Jew?
(P.S. Visit the LDS.org home page and see who's image takes pride of place....Clue: It's not Christ)
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_sr1030
_Emeritus

Post by _sr1030 »

subgenius wrote:

sr

Due to your insult, I went back to look again. All I saw that you may have been referring to was an ad for a movie about Christ and John the Baptist. Is this what you are referring to? I did not see that as a display of an image of Christ. Not saying it is wrong, I just simply wasn't thinking along those lines.

This is the claim from the site with the link to the LDS site: " It is one of the few websites that displays actual images of Jesus Christ."

What is an actual image of Jesus Christ?

sr
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

sr1030 wrote:Due to your insult, I went back to look again. All I saw that you may have been referring to was an ad for a movie about Christ and John the Baptist. Is this what you are referring to? I did not see that as a display of an image of Christ. Not saying it is wrong, I just simply wasn't thinking along those lines.

This is the claim from the site with the link to the LDS site: " It is one of the few websites that displays actual images of Jesus Christ."

sr

You're not wrong sr1030, and that video is a temporary feature on the home page ranking fourth place in the 'features' section.
Pride of place goes to Monson's picture.

subby appears to have resorted, in the absence of any credible argument, to trolling on this and other threads.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

sr1030 wrote:Due to your insult, I went back to look again. All I saw that you may have been referring to was an ad for a movie about Christ and John the Baptist. Is this what you are referring to? I did not see that as a display of an image of Christ. Not saying it is wrong, I just simply wasn't thinking along those lines.

sr

1. obviously you ignored the link provided for reference back to the original article, and author's summary for the 20 sites noted.
2. obviously colloquial English escapes you.
3. obviously, the original claim is correct.