bofmgeography, are Navajos Nephites?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_tapirrider
_Emeritus

bofmgeography, are Navajos Nephites?

Post by _tapirrider »

You mentioned that Navajos are in your Stake. Where do they fit in your Book of Mormon geography model?
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Re: bofmgeography, are Navajos Nephites?

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

tapirrider wrote:You mentioned that Navajos are in your Stake. Where do they fit in your Book of Mormon geography model?

in the erratum

An erratum or corrigendum (plurals: errata, corrigenda) (comes from Latin: errata corrige) is a correction of a published text. An erratum is most commonly issued shortly after its original text is published. Patches to security issues in a computer program are also sometimes called errata. As a general rule, publishers issue an erratum for a production error (i.e., an error introduced during the publishing process) and a corrigendum for an author's error.
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

The Nephites were all killed off in about 400 CE. I view the distinction between Nephites and Lamanites as a religiopolitical one.
_tapirrider
_Emeritus

Post by _tapirrider »

The CCC wrote:The Nephites were all killed off in about 400 CE. I view the distinction between Nephites and Lamanites as a religiopolitical one.

Interesting. What is your take on D&C 3:17?

What are you thoughts on B. H. Roberts take on it?
https://books.google.com/books?id=mWekB ... &q&f=false
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

Not sure how the loss of the first 116 pages of the Book of Mormon relates to the destruction of the Nephites in 5th Century CE.
_spotlight
_Emeritus

Post by _spotlight »

Seems plain enough what his point is CCC. The "scripture" defines Nephite and Lamanite identity as genetic, not just "religiopolitical."
Kolob’s set time is “one thousand years according to the time appointed unto that whereon thou standest” (Abraham 3:4). I take this as a round number. - Gee
_SuperDell
_Emeritus

Post by _SuperDell »

They are Lamanites. We know this from SouthWest Indian Mission in the 1960's.
The Brethren would not lie to us, would they?
“Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth.”
― Joseph Joubert
_tapirrider
_Emeritus

Post by _tapirrider »

The CCC wrote:Not sure how the loss of the first 116 pages of the Book of Mormon relates to the destruction of the Nephites in 5th Century CE.

The revelation in section 3 tells Joseph that depite the loss of the pages, the Lord's work would continue so that his people including the Nephites would have knowledge of the Savior. So in 1828, Nephites apparently still lived.

D&C 3:17 is discussed in this LDS Institute curriculum manual:

"Are There Nephites, Jacobites, Josephites, and Zoramites in the land of America Today, or Are There Only Lamanites?"

"It is commonly believed that there are no more Nephites because that nation was completely destroyed by the Lamanites about A.D. 400. However, Nephites dissented to the Lamanites repeatedly before the appearance of Christ. In Captain Moroni’s time, the descendants of these dissenters were almost as numerous as the Nephites (see Alma 43:13–14). When the Savior visited the people of the Book of Mormon, all were united as children of Christ, and there were no Nephites or Lamanites (see 4 Nephi 1:17). When they grew wicked again, they divided into groups called Lamanites and Nephites, only this time the division was not according to descent but according to righteousness—the Nephites were those who wanted to live the commandments of God, and the Lamanites were those who did not (see 4 Nephi 1:38). Other Nephites joined the Lamanites during the last great battle (see Mormon 6:15). Doctrine and Covenants 3:16–18 shows that descendants of Nephi, Jacob, Joseph, and Zoram can be found among Native Americans today."

The LDS apostles used to discuss this in General Conference.

"The word, "Lamanites," denotes, of course, the descendants of rebellious Laman and Lemuel. It also denotes all other descendants of Lehi who defected to them. As used in our text, I think it includes all descendants of Book of Mormon peoples frequently referred to as the remnant of the people of Lehi. The Lord identifies them in the Doctrine and Covenants as ". . . the Nephites . . . Jacobites . . . Josephites . . . Zoramites . . ."

". . . Lamanites . . . Lemuelites, and . . . Ishmaelites" (D&C 3:17-18). "The great day of the Lord" will, of course, be the day when the Savior comes in his power and glory to inaugurate a reign of righteousness and peace."
http://scriptures.byu.edu/gettalk.php?ID=1266

I'm really more interested in bomgeography's ideas of where the Navajo came from. What ties does he think they have with the people of the Hopewell moundbuilders.
_tapirrider
_Emeritus

Post by _tapirrider »

bofmgeography, care to explain how the Navajo fit in your geography model?
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

George P. Lee:

I am proud to declare to you today, brothers and sisters, that I am a descendant of Lehi, Nephi, and all the great Book of Mormon prophets. I am proud to be a child of the Book of Mormon people. I have found my true heritage; I have found my true identity. I am a son of God, a child of God, a child of the Book of Mormon, a child of Lehi, a rich heritage that extends all the way back to my Heavenly Father, through Moses, and Abraham, and other great prophets.

I am also proud to be a descendant of great Indian chiefs of our country. I am proud to be a descendant of Red Cloud, Sitting Bull, Chief Joseph, Chee Dodge, Chief Crazy Horse and all these great Indian chiefs that did so well as leaders of their people. I want you to know that these men were great. I wouldn’t be surprised if they are all in paradise; and I wouldn’t be surprised if some of them are converted, and maybe some of them are on the fourth missionary discussion. I am proud of my rich heritage.

To you my people, the Lamanite people, on Indian reservations and in the cities of our country and through the islands of the sea, I want you to know that Jesus Christ is our Elder Brother. He is our Savior. He is our Redeemer.

We have a choice heritage. I want you to know, you Lamanite people, that Heavenly Father loves you.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... e?lang=eng
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov