The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: LDS Thoughts and DOCTRINE.

Post by Res Ipsa »

Shulem wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:12 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:09 pm
Shulem,

I don't recall scripture from the Bible or Book of Mormon ever being classified as "not Celestial material." The mention of hell in this portion of the Book of Mormon is an anachronism. It's also not consistent with Smith's later theology -- a good illustration of how he made up his theology as he went along. But it does fit nicely with some strains of 19th century protestantism.

The book has no power over you. The words have no power over you. And Elizabeth has no power over you. If it's a threat, it's one without teeth. And it says lots more about the person who thinks it is necessary or appropriate to threaten fellow humans than it does about the rest of us.

... that they may eat their own dung, and drink their own piss with you? (2 Kings 18:27

Is that also Celestial material? And if so, how might it be quoted and used in this forum?

You need to rethink this matter, Res. It's your choice. You can send this thread into spam and be fully justified. Elizabeth is playing a game and is not on the up and up. Watch out, she bites, and will use vicious scripture to do it!

What would Shades do?
To be honest, I don’t know what Shades would do. Didn’t he permit a thread in Celestial that went through the Bible verse by verse? If so, some of these verses would certainly have been quoted.

Elizabeth is doing what Shades described as building a monument. in my opinion, it’s one of the most hideous monuments to religion that I’ve seen. If she is going to explicitly reveal the dark, ugly side of religion, why should I stop her?

Ask yourself who she is actually hurting here? I think the answer is the sincere LDS folks and Christians who don’t try to justify their racism and hatred of their fellow humans through a warped reading of religious texts. The damage she and others like her do to the LDS brand cannot be repaired by even the most talented PR flacks.

As she doesn’t substantively engage with criticism of her posts, she’s ceded the floor to her critics. So, why not discuss the fact that she obsesses over the vengeful, bloodthirsty god(s) of the Old Testament and not on how Jesus told his followers how to treat their fellow humans?

But all that is my opinion. I’m not the sole arbiter of where her threads belong. There are three of us and, while I will argue for what I think is the best way to do our job, I have no problem with being out voted two to one. I make no claim to knowing the best choice in the many decisions we are faced with.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:57 pm
But all that is my opinion. I’m not the sole arbiter of where her threads belong. There are three of us and, while I will argue for what I think is the best way to do our job, I have no problem with being out voted two to one. I make no claim to knowing the best choice in the many decisions we are faced with.

I hear you. You mods can talk about it and determine a course of action because her threads are likely to get very large and it's just cut and paste materials. I don't think Shades would be happy with it. But oh well. She's playing a game and it will be interesting for you to see where it goes. I'm staying out of it and don't really bother. Besides, she put me on ignore. I just hate to see Shade's board being taken advantage of and feel that the Celestial forum should be held to the highest standards.

Anyway, consult with your fellow mods but don't feel rushed to act. I appreciate your service and the work you do.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Dr. Shades wrote: RULES FOR THE CELESTIAL FORUM:

1. Keep all communications "Rated G."
2. No personal attacks allowed whatsoever. This includes personal attacks against a person's family members.
3. No disrespectful communications allowed. Address the ideas, not the person who posts them.
4. No swear words allowed. Not only does this mean to avoid the "F" and "S" words and any of their many variants, it also means to avoid lesser bad words such as "bitch," "piss," "ass," etc. Altering the spelling or substituting a symbol for a character does not give you a free pass to disregard this rule.
5. No specific temple content allowed.
Shulem
God

Re: ........

Post by Shulem »

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)