God was Sorry

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Re: God was Sorry

Post by Dr. Shades »

No, the Jaredite barges were not space ships. If they were, why did they land in the Americas?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Imwashingmypirate
God

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Valo wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 3:57 am
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:15 am

How do we get to this new earth?
New Jerusalem.

The Wicker Man gave an interesting interpretation of Ether from Book of Mormon. I'm posting it below:
The Wicker Man wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:06 pm

In the book of Ether instruction is given for building barges to take the Jaredites to the land that is choice above all other lands. I stipulate that the choice land is where God is. I stipulate that God did not live on this earth. I stipulate that the special barges built were for space travel and that all the ocean and wind effects are metaphors for the dangers of space travel. Please analyze the construction of the barge like ships for the suitability of space travel as opposed to traveling on the ocean. " 16 And the Lord said: Go to work and build, after the manner of abarges which ye have hitherto built. And it came to pass that the brother of Jared did go to work, and also his brethren, and built barges after the manner which they had built, according to the binstructions of the Lord. And they were small, and they were light upon the water, even like unto the lightness of a fowl upon the water.

17 And they were built after a manner that they were exceedingly atight, even that they would hold water like unto a dish; and the bottom thereof was tight like unto a dish; and the sides thereof were tight like unto a dish; and the ends thereof were peaked; and the top thereof was tight like unto a dish; and the length thereof was the length of a tree; and the door thereof, when it was shut, was tight like unto a dish.

18 And it came to pass that the brother of Jared cried unto the Lord, saying: O Lord, I have performed the work which thou hast commanded me, and I have made the barges according as thou hast directed me.

19 And behold, O Lord, in them there is no light; whither shall we steer? And also we shall perish, for in them we cannot breathe, save it is the air which is in them; therefore we shall perish.

20 And the Lord said unto the brother of Jared: Behold, thou shalt make a hole in the top, and also in the bottom; and when thou shalt suffer for air thou shalt unstop the hole and receive air. And if it be so that the water come in upon thee, behold, ye shall stop the hole, that ye may not perish in the flood.

21 And it came to pass that the brother of Jared did so, according as the Lord had commanded.

22 And he cried again unto the Lord saying: O Lord, behold I have done even as thou hast commanded me; and I have prepared the vessels for my people, and behold there is no light in them. Behold, O Lord, wilt thou suffer that we shall cross this great water in darkness?

23 And the Lord said unto the brother of Jared: What will ye that I should do that ye may have light in your vessels? For behold, ye cannot have awindows, for they will be dashed in pieces; neither shall ye take fire with you, for ye shall not go by the light of fire.

24 For behold, ye shall be as a awhale in the midst of the sea; for the mountain waves shall dash upon you. Nevertheless, I will bring you up again out of the depths of the sea; for the bwinds have gone forth cout of my mouth, and also the drains and the floods have I sent forth.

25 And behold, I prepare you against these things; for ye cannot cross this great deep save I prepare you against the waves of the sea, and the winds which have gone forth, and the floods which shall come. Therefore what will ye that I should prepare for you that ye may have light when ye are swallowed up in the depths of the sea?"

ChatGPT
Your interpretation of the Jaredite barges as metaphorical representations of spacecraft for space travel is intriguing. Let's analyze the characteristics of the barges described in the Book of Ether in the context of your interpretation:

Size and Weight: The barges were small and light upon the water, akin to the lightness of a fowl. In the context of space travel, this could suggest a design optimized for maneuverability and efficiency in traversing the vastness of space, where excessive weight could be a hindrance.
Watertight Construction: The barges were exceedingly tight, designed to hold water like unto a dish. In space, maintaining a sealed environment is crucial for survival, protecting against the vacuum of space. The tight construction could symbolize the need for airtight seals to preserve the life-supporting atmosphere within the spacecraft.
Ventilation: The Lord instructed the brother of Jared to create holes in the top and bottom of the barges for air exchange. In the context of space travel, this could represent the need for a controlled ventilation system to regulate oxygen levels and remove carbon dioxide, ensuring the occupants have a breathable atmosphere.
Light: The absence of light in the barges posed a challenge for the Jaredites. The Lord provided a solution by asking what they desired for light. In a spacecraft, windows might not be feasible due to the risk of damage, but alternative light sources, such as artificial lighting systems or advanced display technologies, could provide illumination for the occupants.
Protection from the Elements: The Lord assured the Jaredites that despite the challenges they would face, he would protect them from the waves and winds. In the context of space travel, this could symbolize the need for spacecraft to withstand the harsh conditions of space, including radiation, micrometeoroids, and extreme temperatures.
Overall, when viewed through the lens of space travel, the construction and features of the Jaredite barges align with the requirements for spacecraft designed to transport passengers safely through the inhospitable environment of space. This interpretation adds another layer of depth to the narrative, highlighting the timeless relevance and adaptability of the scriptures to different contexts and interpretations.

I bet that you didn't see that one coming? :D
https://slogbog.com/viewtopic.php?p=2918#p2918
I don't particularly believe the Book of Mormon is the word of God. I'm not even sure that is is the word of Joseph Smith inspired by God. So this makes it hard to consider this view point. I do firmly believe that given the amount of space and uni erse their is, that there is life out there somewhere. I can visualise that life would look different to us depending on the environments life came about it. But I wouldn't expect something too dissimilar. I do not believe Earth is the only habitable planet in existence. I don't think we will ever see real space travel in the sense of taking holidays on other planets any time soon. I doubt it will happen for Earth inhabitants without external influence.

The Christmas song, the space man came travelling does make me think of the possibility that the star was a space craft. But that's like a really low probability in my mind. But an interesting thought for sure. It would be interesting to think that a person with advanced knowledge from the future could have gone back in time and healed using knowledge we don't have yet. But we are taught jesus was born. Would time travel be possible by entering an unborn childs person in a sort of astro projection type travel. Bit out there. But what do we know. Things we have now would be alien to people from centuries ago. Even to some tribes and cultures existing today.
Imwashingmypirate
God

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 10:07 am
No, the Jaredite barges were not space ships. If they were, why did they land in the Americas?
To be fair shades, from my understanding, spaceships seems to like visiting America more than other places. ;) :P :mrgreen: definitely a lot more "UFO" sightings. :lol:
High Spy
Apostle

Post by High Spy »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:46 pm
High Spy wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:48 am

The Bible clearly states that the Earth shall be dissolved.

Hope means something you expect to happen and indeed every word spoken by God shall be fulfilled.
Got the pie thing... Happy pie day spy.
Out of the blue again Gnu’s Kea made smores on 5/2, hopefully representing something good. My Beastly Breakdown picture proved what you said about number 52. Have you ever made a smore?
Valo
Deacon

Post by Valo »

Dr. Shades wrote:
You have the evidence that they landed in the Americas?
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Valo wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 1:35 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
If you believe the Book of Mormon then you have to believe they did. Limhi’s people encountered their remains, Coriantumr found the Mulekites and lived with them for nine months, etc.

No Jaredites in the Americas, no Book of Mormon.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Imwashingmypirate
God

High Spy wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 11:20 am
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:46 pm

Got the pie thing... Happy pie day spy.
Out of the blue again Gnu’s Kea made smores on 5/2, hopefully representing something good. My Beastly Breakdown picture proved what you said about number 52. Have you ever made a smore?
Have made smores with the kids. I'm not a fan. Sticky and messy.
Valo
Deacon

Post by Valo »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 2:48 pm
Valo wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 1:35 pm

If you believe the Book of Mormon then you have to believe they did. Limhi’s people encountered their remains, Coriantumr found the Mulekites and lived with them for nine months, etc.

No Jaredites in the Americas, no Book of Mormon.
Why do I have to believe that?

It's not even established that they landed in the Americas.
Valo
Deacon

Post by Valo »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 10:32 am
Valo wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 3:57 am

New Jerusalem.

The Wicker Man gave an interesting interpretation of Ether from Book of Mormon. I'm posting it below:

https://slogbog.com/viewtopic.php?p=2918#p2918
I don't particularly believe the Book of Mormon is the word of God. I'm not even sure that is is the word of Joseph Smith inspired by God. So this makes it hard to consider this view point. I do firmly believe that given the amount of space and uni erse their is, that there is life out there somewhere. I can visualise that life would look different to us depending on the environments life came about it. But I wouldn't expect something too dissimilar. I do not believe Earth is the only habitable planet in existence. I don't think we will ever see real space travel in the sense of taking holidays on other planets any time soon. I doubt it will happen for Earth inhabitants without external influence.

The Christmas song, the space man came travelling does make me think of the possibility that the star was a space craft. But that's like a really low probability in my mind. But an interesting thought for sure. It would be interesting to think that a person with advanced knowledge from the future could have gone back in time and healed using knowledge we don't have yet. But we are taught jesus was born. Would time travel be possible by entering an unborn childs person in a sort of astro projection type travel. Bit out there. But what do we know. Things we have now would be alien to people from centuries ago. Even to some tribes and cultures existing today.
Maybe it's not black and white. It's possible that most of the book is true while parts of it are not.

But that's not the point either. It's hey, check out this idea! Maybe it's BS but I certainly don't know and I know nobody else really knows either no matter how impressive they sound or look or whatever.

The Sea is greater than we assumed and the adventure is only beginning.
Imwashingmypirate
God

Valo wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 3:10 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 10:32 am

Maybe it's not black and white. It's possible that most of the book is true while parts of it are not.

But that's not the point either. It's hey, check out this idea! Maybe it's BS but I certainly don't know and I know nobody else really knows either no matter how impressive they sound or look or whatever.

The Sea is greater than we assumed and the adventure is only beginning.
This is very true. That's why we have discussions. Everyone perceives things differently and we don't know all the facts. Life would be boring without our imaginations and ideas.