God was Sorry

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
bill4long
2nd Counselor

God was Sorry

Post by bill4long »

"And Yahweh was sorry that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart." (Gen 6:6)"

The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Re: God was Sorry

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Had to go look this up. Kind of sad.

If God was omnipotent and knew everything then why would he regret it need to repent making humans. It would certainly explain why it feels like Earth has been abandoned of Gods presence in comparison to how it appears in the Bible. Still makes me feel sadness.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

bill4long wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:26 am
"And Yahweh was sorry that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart." (Gen 6:6)"
And your point is . . . ?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

I think the point is to express the idea how biblical God imagined by the ancient Hebrews is weak and ineffectual. It’s clear to me that Yahweh is a projection of what man thinks of the world and is subjecting God to man’s limitations.

It goes to show that Yahweh is a cruel and vicious concept and the whole idea of establishing him as the head of a religion was to instill fear and maintain control of believers.

Yahweh may be safely dismissed as a false concept of what God and love really is. For me, the idea of worshipping such a being is sickening.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Shulem wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:34 pm
I think the point is to express the idea how biblical God imagined by the ancient Hebrews is weak and ineffectual. It’s clear to me that Yahweh is a projection of what man thinks of the world and is subjecting God to man’s limitations.

It goes to show that Yahweh is a cruel and vicious concept and the whole idea of establishing him as the head of a religion was to instill fear and maintain control of believers.

Yahweh may be safely dismissed as a false concept of what God and love really is. For me, the idea of worshipping such a being is sickening.
Why would describing a god using words like feared, repented, grieved, instil a sense of fear to maintain control? These are very human words. I don't think being made to feel guilty for making god feel grief would give the same sense of control as believing in an all powerful being. If these things were determined by the people then the people who wrote it are the sick ones. But we are taught as Mormons that the Bible isn't pure and that it has been altered by man. So... Not good really. It all just leads to confusion. I only go by what I feel in my being. Maybe God was disgusted by humans, there is a lot of evidence of this in the Bible but the verse above affects the omnipotence of what we are taught. I can't imagine a God that knows all and sees all at once would regret any creation.
High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Post by High Spy »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:25 am

If God was omnipotent and knew everything then why would he regret it need to repent making humans. It would certainly explain why it feels like Earth has been abandoned of Gods presence in comparison to how it appears in the Bible. Still makes me feel sadness.
He gave men agency to muck it up. Noah’s flood was a redo. Now we are mucking up again so the Earth is due to be burned and dissolved. Hopefully we’ll eventually get things right on the new Earth.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:55 pm
Why would describing a god using words like feared, repented, grieved, instil a sense of fear to maintain control?
The bit mentioned in Genesis about God killing off the human race other than 8 saved by water is only the beginning of the Bible. Read the rest and see for yourself. A horrible religion is represented by the Hebrews.

You have read the Bible, right?
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Shulem wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:21 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:55 pm
Why would describing a god using words like feared, repented, grieved, instil a sense of fear to maintain control?
The bit mentioned in Genesis about God killing off the human race other than 8 saved by water is only the beginning of the Bible. Read the rest and see for yourself. A horrible religion is represented by the Hebrews.

You have read the Bible, right?
When I was a kid. I know it's full of horrible stuff but I don't visualise God in the same way as the Old Testament suggests. Not sure I expressed what I was trying to say very well.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

High Spy wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:41 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:25 am

He gave men agency to muck it up. Noah’s flood was a redo. Now we are mucking up again so the Earth is due to be burned and dissolved. Hopefully we’ll eventually get things right on the new Earth.
How do we get to this new earth?
bill4long
2nd Counselor

Post by bill4long »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:15 am
[ow do we get to this new earth?
Wishin' and hopin'?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycbgHM1mI0k
The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.