Schryver's Article Is Going To Be Published, Somewhere?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_jon
_Emeritus

Re: Schryver's Article Is Going To Be Published, Somewhere?

Post by _jon »

I'm not saying that it isn't a believable claim, but wouldn't it carry more weight if someone other than the 'author' were the one propogating the announcement?

Say, if Elder Oaks had mentioned it during one of his alleged MI visits...
'Church pictures are not always accurate' (The Nehor May 4th 2011)

Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told.
Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.
_gramps
_Emeritus

Post by _gramps »

Isn't he saying now that he will have a co-author? Or is this already well-known? I haven't been following along as much recently.

I wonder who that would be, if that is indeed the case?
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland
_jon
_Emeritus

Post by _jon »

gramps wrote:Isn't he saying now that he will have a co-author? Or is this already well-known? I haven't been following along as much recently.

I wonder who that would be, if that is indeed the case?

Sidney Rigdon?

_jon
_Emeritus

Post by _jon »

It has to be said that if the content of Mr Schryvers forthcoming and long promised article is anything like the content of his posts on MDD on the same subject he would be better off not publishing it.

Whatever tattered shreds remain of his academic reputation they will surely be laid to waste unless the quality of argument is not of significantly better quality.

_Drifting
_Emeritus

Post by _Drifting »

Will,

in an attempt to be helpful and get your forthcoming treatise on Egyptian (as it relates to the Book of Abraham) peer reviewed by some of the best experts within this field (which I assume you do intend to do) I offer you these:

(University) Departments,Schools & Institutes:
Egyptology:U.S.A: Brown, Memphis, Pennsylvania, American University in Cairo;U.K: Liverpool, University College
Archaeology:U.K;Bristol
Near East:U.S.A; Yale, Michagen, Chicago, California, Princeton, New York, John Hopkins, Harvard, Cornell
History;U.S.A; Columbia, New York
Societies:
The Society for the Study of Ancient Egypt
The Society for the Study of Ancient Egyptian Antiquities, Canada
Sussex Egyptology Society Online
Egypt Exploration Society

Forgive me if you have already been in touch with these organizations.
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Keith McMullin - Counsellor in Presiding Bishopric

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator
_Drifting
_Emeritus

Post by _Drifting »

Drifting wrote:Will,

in an attempt to be helpful and get your forthcoming treatise on Egyptian (as it relates to the Book of Abraham) peer reviewed by some of the best experts within this field (which I assume you do intend to do) I offer you these:

(University) Departments,Schools & Institutes:
Egyptology:U.S.A: Brown, Memphis, Pennsylvania, American University in Cairo;U.K: Liverpool, University College
Archaeology:U.K;Bristol
Near East:U.S.A; Yale, Michagen, Chicago, California, Princeton, New York, John Hopkins, Harvard, Cornell
History;U.S.A; Columbia, New York
Societies:
The Society for the Study of Ancient Egypt
The Society for the Study of Ancient Egyptian Antiquities, Canada
Sussex Egyptology Society Online
Egypt Exploration Society

Forgive me if you have already been in touch with these organizations.

Bump, to ensure Will doesn't miss this offer of assistance...
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”

_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

Do any apologists, other than Will still think Will's theory has merit?

Perhaps I am mistaken but I was under the impression that the theory sort of went the way of the dinosaurs, no?

I wonder why a LDS big wig would want Will's theory published? Wouldn't the more scholarly apologists give a little heads up to inform church leaders that it really doesn't help the cause?

At this point, wouldn't it be more of an embarrassment to the church than anything?

~td~
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Oh, I do hope so! How wonderful that would be! There would then be an easily accessible publication for public consumption... and public critique.

And of course, the public consumption of his online postings would be somewhat of a vindication too.
(Nevo, Jan 23) And the Melchizedek Priesthood may not have been restored until the summer of 1830, several months after the organization of the Church.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

CaliforniaKid wrote:con·spir·a·cy kənˈspirəsē n. Two or more people from different sides of the fence who share the same low opinion of William Schryver's rhetoric.

ROFLMAO!!!

Truest. Statement. Ever.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Drifting
_Emeritus

Post by _Drifting »

William Schryver, on 23 October 2011 - 05:14 PM, said:
At any rate, the article will be published before too long.

Quote taken from MAD (MDD).

So, I'm wondering what the two words Schryver chooses to use actually mean.

"published" - does he mean in a scholarly journal or pinned up on his fridge door at home?

"before too long" he said that nearly two weeks ago. Does he mean this year? Next year? In the Lords own time?

I have a mailing list of scholarly peers to whom I will be sending Will's 'published' work, when and if it manages to see the light of day this side of the next millennium.

Personally, I suspect it's not even written yet and that he is using online posters such as Chris to unwittingly help him flesh it out. Either that or he has nothing to publish and wants to be able to cry 'foul' and 'I'm a victim of a conspiracy' to avoid actually having to publish something but still maintain a perceived ability to claim that he has produced something.

Will - put up or shut up. Publish it or stop talking about it.