BYU Prof John L Lund Stealing Artifacts - What Happened?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Daheshist
_Emeritus

Re: BYU Prof John L Lund Stealing Artifacts - What Happened?

Post by _Daheshist »

I believe John L. Lund was threatened with a Church Court for embarassing the Church in the Media, so he resigned and became a Baha'i.
_Joey
_Emeritus

Post by _Joey »

It would not surprise me in the least if he just walk on the bail/bond he posted and decided to never go back to Israel and face charges. The cost of defense and publicity to the Church are most likely driving his decision.  I suspect his hands are not clean and he concluded a $7500 bond was a cheap price to pay. He never goes back to Israel but can do his tour schtick elsewhere.  He just has to stay out of the artifact trade.
"It's not so much that FARMS scholarship in the area Book of Mormon historicity is "rejected' by the secular academic community as it is they are "ignored". [Daniel Peterson, May, 2004]
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Joey wrote:It would not surprise me in the least if he just walk on the bail/bond he posted and decided to never go back to Israel and face charges. The cost of defense and publicity to the Church are most likely driving his decision.  I suspect his hands are not clean and he concluded a $7500 bond was a cheap price to pay. He never goes back to Israel but can do his tour schtick elsewhere.  He just has to stay out of the artifact trade.

Makes me wonder who paid his bail, if he's worried about publicity to the church.
(Nevo, Jan 23) And the Melchizedek Priesthood may not have been restored until the summer of 1830, several months after the organization of the Church.
_Joey
_Emeritus

Post by _Joey »

harmony wrote:
Joey wrote:It would not surprise me in the least if he just walk on the bail/bond he posted and decided to never go back to Israel and face charges. The cost of defense and publicity to the Church are most likely driving his decision.  I suspect his hands are not clean and he concluded a $7500 bond was a cheap price to pay. He never goes back to Israel but can do his tour schtick elsewhere.  He just has to stay out of the artifact trade.

Makes me wonder who paid his bail, if he's worried about publicity to the church.

I'm sure he got help from contacts at BYU Jerusalem.
"It's not so much that FARMS scholarship in the area Book of Mormon historicity is "rejected' by the secular academic community as it is they are "ignored". [Daniel Peterson, May, 2004]