Is THIS the Morality 71% of Mormonism Believes In?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Shulem
God

Re: Is THIS the Morality 71% of Mormonism Believes In?

Post by Shulem »

I'm serving up idols to the Church up in the celestial forum. The thread is 6 pages long and is going to grow. I have something special in mind for the Church as I dish up its idols on a silver platter:

New Church Logo of Jesus in a Bell Jar?

Oh, it's going to get good. (rubbing my hands together)

:twisted:
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:16 pm
Most church leaders almost certainly did not vote for Trump. The Deseret News published an editorial that was pretty strongly anti-Trump. Do you think a pro-Trump group of Brethren would have allowed that? Look to Mitt Romney's example if you want a sense of what the leaders of the LDS Church think of Trump. My guess is that Mitt is in harmony with the Brethren on this one.
Should Church leaders have put their mouths where their morality is then?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

I think Cthulhu has a right to be angered at his vote count. Even Hugh Nibley received at least one presidential mail-in vote from some elderly man in Orem Utah yelling at the postman about New Zealand and downvotes.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Moksha wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:47 am
Their tradition is to speak out on legislation that bears on moral issues, not individual candidates. I don't think they would have viewed breaking this tradition as a good idea. Once they speak out about a particular candidate, then they lose any credibility regarding their claims of being politically non-partisan. Whether others buy it or not, the leaders of the LDS Church have a certain practice when it comes to politics, and they are going to stick to it for the long-term health and credibility of the organization.
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

Moksha wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:52 am
I think Cthulhu has a right to be angered at his vote count.
That is not dead which can eternal lie about its vote count.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:30 pm
Moksha wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:47 am
Their tradition is to speak out on legislation that bears on moral issues, not individual candidates. I don't think they would have viewed breaking this tradition as a good idea. Once they speak out about a particular candidate, then they lose any credibility regarding their claims of being politically non-partisan. Whether others buy it or not, the leaders of the LDS Church have a certain practice when it comes to politics, and they are going to stick to it for the long-term health and credibility of the organization.
The difference is also tax law. The Church can take sides on issues without risking its tax exempt status.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:07 pm
The difference is also tax law. The Church can take sides on issues without risking its tax exempt status.
That’s really the crux of the matter. Good point.
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood