Mormon Interpreter reviews "Shaken Faith Syndrome"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_MCB
_Emeritus

Re: Mormon Interpreter reviews "Shaken Faith Syndrome"

Post by _MCB »

Writing from the perspective of a self-assured and insulated sectarian critic, I think Smoot would have difficulty digesting my review of another book:

The reviews on the back of Barry Bickmore's Restoring the Ancient Church guarantee that critics will suffer shaken faith syndrome and cognitive dissonance upon reading the book. In contrast, I praise it as the best work ever written in the field of Mormon apologetics.

What I find interesting is the book uses the same methodology that I use in my work. There is no cognitive dissonance in my critique of the book. I totally agree that Mormonism is a Gnostic religion, and resurrects some ancient heresies. Mormonism ignores the dissonances within its belief system. Catholics just ascribe our dissonances to mystery. With an ineffable God, we can do that. Mormonism's anthropomorphic God does not allow for mystery.

What has worked for two thousand years must be a reasonable approximation of the Truth. Gnostic speculation does little to encourage ethical behavior, and in some cases, encourages unethical behavior.
Huckelberry said:
I see the order and harmony to be the very image of God which smiles upon us each morning as we awake.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/a ... cc_toc.htm
_Morley
_Emeritus

Post by _Morley »

MCB wrote:What has worked for two thousand years must be a reasonable approximation of the Truth.

I don't agree, Mary. Consider (for example) the institution of slavery.
_MCB
_Emeritus

Post by _MCB »

Slavery in the United States was very different from slavery in Rome. (hereditary and race-based) The New Testament urges slave owners to respect the God-given rights of their slaves. A religion which strongly attacks the values of a society in which it exists will never succeed. God is patient.
Huckelberry said:
I see the order and harmony to be the very image of God which smiles upon us each morning as we awake.

_son of Ishmael
_Emeritus

Post by _son of Ishmael »

MCB wrote:Slavery in the United States was very different from slavery in Rome. (hereditary and race-based) The New Testament urges slave owners to respect the God-given rights of their slaves. A religion which strongly attacks the values of a society in which it exists will never succeed. God is patient.

If God allowed slavery in the Old Testament and New Testament, how do you know that God does not now still condone slavery? When and where did God himself say that it should have ended?
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. - Galileo

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk - Tom Waits
_MCB
_Emeritus

Post by _MCB »

Stock answer-- mystery. However, I know how Jesus would have answered if He had been asked.

Otherwise, I suspect the issue broke to the surface in 1861. :lol:
Huckelberry said:

_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Sethbag wrote:From where I stand, Chap was spot-on in his assessment. Joseph Smith is far, far more susceptible to criticism based on contemporary writings relating to him than Jesus is, much to the advantage of the cult of Jesus.

Indeed.

If all we had about Joseph Smith was John Henry Evans' hagiographical "biography," we would still possess more about Smith than we do about Jesus.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Nightlion
_Emeritus

Post by _Nightlion »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sethbag wrote:From where I stand, Chap was spot-on in his assessment. Joseph Smith is far, far more susceptible to criticism based on contemporary writings relating to him than Jesus is, much to the advantage of the cult of Jesus.

Indeed.

If all we had about Joseph Smith was John Henry Evans' hagiographical "biography," we would still possess more about Smith than we do about Jesus.

If all that the world had about Joseph Smith were the actual words he spoke he would fair well. The evil spoken of him lies in the skulduggery of his naysayers and silly women trying to justify polygamy with adolescent stupidity.
The Apocalrock Manifesto and Wonders of Eternity: New Mormon Theology
https://www.docdroid.net/KDt8RNP/the-apocalrock-manifesto.pdf
https://www.docdroid.net/IEJ3KJh/wonders-of-eternity-2009.pdf
My YouTube videos:HERE
_sunstoned
_Emeritus

Post by _sunstoned »

Does anyone else find it disingenuous that Ash quotes Ron Poelman’s famous "The Gospel and the Church" talk, and references it as a conference talk. He makes no mention that this talk was censored by the brethren.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Nightlion wrote: ... The evil spoken of him lies in the skulduggery of his naysayers and silly women trying to justify polygamy with adolescent stupidity.

What on earth does that mean?

I hope Nightlion is not referring to the affidavits sworn by numbers of faithful LDS women who were plural wives of Joseph Smith, affirming that (surprise!) they had sexual relations with the man they regarded as their husband? Those affidavits were submitted to the court by the church in the Temple Lot case, which took place many, many years after the ladies in question had left adolescence far behind.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

sunstoned wrote:Does anyone else find it disingenuous that Ash quotes Ron Poelman’s famous "The Gospel and the Church" talk, and references it as a conference talk. He makes no mention that this talk was censored by the brethren.

Yes, but then I find the whole of Mormonism disingenuous.