Holland doubles down on Adam and Eve... Hey BC!?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_ZelphtheGreat
_Emeritus

Re: Holland doubles down on Adam and Eve... Hey BC!?

Post by _ZelphtheGreat »

Adam and Eve were real and lived in Missouri. You can can visit Missouri. Even visit the altar Adam personally built in Missouri.

See, proves it... right?
“If paying tithing means that you can’t pay for water or electricity, pay tithing. If paying tithing means that you can’t pay your rent, pay tithing. Even if paying tithing means that you don’t have enough money to feed your family, pay tithing." Ensign/2012/12
_No_Hidden_Agenda
_Emeritus

Post by _No_Hidden_Agenda »

Clarification of this statement or reconciliation with science is not essential for your salvation, so just believe mmkay?

Of course, it is on the list of reasons why I CAN'T believe, so it is very important to my salvation if Mormonism is true...
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

I love Mormonism. One can simply throw out all of the ridiculous crap that former "prophets" taught as absolute truth and make up whatever you want to justify doing so. The built on sand analogy comes to mind here with full force.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

There will be many willing to accept the philosophies of men, mingled with scripture.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

KevinSim wrote:
cinepro wrote:I think the explanation is that the humanoid pre-adamites weren't "human". They had animal spirits that looked "human", but they weren't spirit children of God. So Adam was the first "human" with a real human spirit.

It's simply wonderful and wonderfully simple.

There's so much emphasis in Genesis 2-3 about the knowledge of good and evil, that my personal opinion is that Adam and Eve were the first two humans who really understood the difference between good and evil; before them all humans (or near-humans) were innocent, in the same way that children younger than eight are innocent. So, yes, the humans before Adam and Eve would look human; in many ways they were human, but they hadn't advanced to the point of understanding the difference between good and evil.

So God finds two people who have the potential of understanding the difference between good and evil, and puts them in a garden, and gives them immortality until they partake of the fruit of the tree, at which point God takes their immortality away from them? That's a possibility, I guess. Although, unlike Holland, I don't really see the need for there to have been the immortality in the first place. I respect Holland, so if he tells me there was immortality I'll try to believe that, but like I said, I don't really see the need.

Worth it! Sending SLC my 10%! ;)

-V/R
Dr. Cam "Reporting in from the Walasi-Yi Inn" NC4Me
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

SteelHead wrote:Did he not say he didn't know what happened on Earth before the fall, except there was no human death?

Your pre-adamite theory just took an ecclesiastical hit.

How so? I've always said there was no death before the Fall.
Machina Sublime
Satan's Plan Deconstructed.
Your Best Resource On Joseph Smith's Polygamy.
Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

cinepro wrote:I think the explanation is that the humanoid pre-adamites weren't "human". They had animal spirits that looked "human", but they weren't spirit children of God. So Adam was the first "human" with a real human spirit.

It's simply wonderful and wonderfully simple.

It's only one possibility meant to explain why homo sapiens have been around for more than 250,000 years without developing civilization until recently. The 1931 statement allows for the existence of preAdamite races of man; fully intelligent or otherwise.
Machina Sublime
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

Maksutov wrote:This is one of the primary LDS anti-evolution arguments as well. Death before The Fall negates The Atonement, therefore if Jesus and the Church are true then science is wrong. If science is wrong and opposed to the Church it is because science is inspired by and a tool of the adversary.

It's not a valid argument imho. What would cripple the need for the Atonement is if the Fall had never taken place. That death existed before the garden state is neither here nor there.
Machina Sublime
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

No_Hidden_Agenda wrote:Clarification of this statement or reconciliation with science is not essential for your salvation, so just believe mmkay?

Of course, it is on the list of reasons why I CAN'T believe, so it is very important to my salvation if Mormonism is true...

And since evolution is not in conflict with LDS creation doctrine, you can cross it off your list.
Machina Sublime
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

DarkHelmet wrote:BC Space is the authority on official doctrine. If Holland contradicted BC Space, then Holland is wrong.

But is Holland wrong as a man or an Apostle of the Lord® ?
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !