The Nephites vs. Lamanites chess set is a real thing

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Darth J
_Emeritus

The Nephites vs. Lamanites chess set is a real thing

Post by _Darth J »

I linked to this in the "Kate Kelly is a self-absorbed, self-promoting diva complains about Sunstone accommodations" thread, but really it deserves its own thread.

http://stores.lehi.com/new-nephite-vs-l ... set-vinyl/

Book of Mormon chess & checkers set
Nephite vs Lamaite chess & checkers set, made from vinyl. The Book of Mormon figure Nephi (chess king) holding the Liahona in his left hand and the sword of Laban in his right. 3-7/8" tall. The chess board 14" x 14". Ages 4 and up

This...this, friends, is where religious kitsch reaches the heights we all knew it could. A Last Supper TV tray is passe compared to seeing this lovingly designed vinyl tribute to the keystone of our religion on someone's coffee living room table.
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Re: The Nephites vs. Lamanites chess set is a real thing

Post by _SteelHead »

Hey look, the knights have horses instead of tapirs....
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Darth J
_Emeritus

Post by _Darth J »

I have often thought that in the realm of toys based on the Restored Gospel, a Liahona Magic 8-ball is just begging to be made. And someone has made something close to it: a toy Liahona with words that change.

http://stores.lehi.com/4-liahona-plastic/

The Liahona compass was given to Lehi to direct his family through the "more fertile parts of the wilderness" to the Promised Land. "And it came to pass that as my father arose in the morning and went forth to the tent door, to his great astonishment he beheld upon the ground a round ball of curious workmanship; and it was of fine brass. And within the ball were two spindles; and the one pointed the way whither we should go into the wilderness." (1 Nephi 16:10) The Liahona only worked according to faith and diligence. When there was disobedience, the spindle stopped working. At times, writing would appear on the Liahona to "give us understanding concerning the ways of the Lord". Lehi passed it on to Nephi. The Book of Mormon records that it was passed down through Nephite Prophets. King Benjamin gave the Liahona to Mosiah. In the Doctrine and Covenants 17:1 we learn that by faith the Three Witnesses would also be able to see the Liahona. 4" Denver International Airport. ball. Looks like brass with spindle, compass and writing that changes. Made out of durable plastic. Ages 4 and up.

_Darth J
_Emeritus

Post by _Darth J »

Items like these invoke sort of a merchandising Poe's Law: are people sincerely capitalizing on their faith in the record of the ancient Nephites, or are they making this to troll the faithful? While we ponder that question, consider the three-inch vinyl figure (think Smurfs) of the Brother of Jared holding stones that glow in the dark.

http://stores.lehi.com/brother-of-jared ... rk-stones/

The Book of Mormon tells how he was instructed to build 8 barges to "...go forth across this raging deep in darkness." So the people could have light, he "...did molten out of a rock sixteen small stones." He asked the Lord to light them. The Lord touched the stones one by one with his finger. Because of his perfect faith "...the veil was taken from off the eyes of the Bother of Jared, and he saw the finger of the Lord." Come with glow in the dark stones. Ages 4 and up.

_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

The chess set is what....half "medieval" half "maya?"

That Liahona, though. I want that.

Of course what I really want is this: https://www.etsy.com/listing/182582558/ ... -1947-very
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered with/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

Darth J wrote:

Ah, I see that the Lamanite pieces have lost their color of blackness and evolved into a nice, non-controversial, delightsome blue.
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Hey, the missionary set for under $10 would be very useful for the figurines to top a gay wedding cake if two RMs are getting married.
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Post by _Tobin »

I wish the horses were tapirs or lamas though.
"You lack vision, but I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night.... Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful." -- Judge Doom
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

canpakes wrote:
Ah, I see that the Lamanite pieces have lost their color of blackness and evolved into a nice, non-controversial, delightsome blue.

They're still filthy primitive natives. The good guys are more obviously civilized in their chaste and loomed apparel.
Last edited by Ahoody on Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered with/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Spanner
_Emeritus

Post by _Spanner »

Good grief,
With only three named women in the Book, who would they select as queens? Sariah for the Nephite queen maybe. Was Isobel the harlot a Lamanite?

The product description doesn't name anyone other than Nephi.