Sexually assaulted on newly dedicated Temple grounds...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Sexually assaulted on newly dedicated Temple grounds...

Post by _I have a question »

PROVO, Utah, April 12, 2016 (Gephardt Daily) — Provo police officers have arrested a man they suspected of sexually assaulting a women on the grounds of the Provo City Center Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Casey William Logan was taken into custody Sunday, immediately after the incident.

The suspect reportedly approached the woman from behind, put his arm around her chest, and used his other arm to grab between her legs.

The victim screamed and escaped, according to witnesses interviewed on the scene by officers.

PPD officers said Logan told them he thought the woman was his former girlfriend. The victim said she does not know Logan. Witnesses reported the suspect was yelling at various Provo City Center Temple visitors prior to the arrival of police.

Logan, described by police as a transient, has been booked into the Utah County Jail 26 times, according to Provo Police Department records.

The Provo City Center Temple was dedicated just three weeks earlier, on March 20, by Dallin H. Oaks, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles in the LDS Church.

http://gephardtdaily.com/religion/woman ... n-custody/
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Enzo the Baker
_Emeritus

Re: Sexually assaulted on newly dedicated Temple grounds...

Post by _Enzo the Baker »

I guess Dallin forgot to ask Heavenly Father to protect temple patrons from sexual assault in his dedicatory prayer.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Enzo the Baker wrote:I guess Dallin forgot to ask Heavenly Father to protect temple patrons from sexual assault in his dedicatory prayer.

Oh no, he didn't forget....

In this day of wickedness and selfishness, when men’s hearts fail them in turmoil and perplexities, we pray that Thou will blunt the powers of evil against Thy work and Thy children, and bless Thy covenant people with protection and strength to persist and stand fast in the works of righteousness.

We pray that Thou wilt bless our prophet-leader, President Thomas S. Monson, and his counselors and all of our leaders carrying out Thy great plan.

And now, acting in the authority of the holy Melchizedek Priesthood and in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, we dedicate this the Provo City Center Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to Thee, our Holy Father, and to Thy Beloved Son, and we ask Thee to accept of this house of the Lord, which Thou didst direct Thy prophet, President Monson, to restore and establish in this place.

We dedicate to Thee every part of this sacred structure and its surroundings, including its underlying grounds and its ancillary structure and surrounding landscaping and decorations. We dedicate all of their structural parts from their foundations to their roofs. We pray that Thou wilt protect this temple and all of its surrounding facilities from every destructive influence of any kind.

https://www.lds.org/church/news/provo-c ... r?lang=eng

What does this tell us about the effectiveness of Oaks special apostolic pleadings?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Enzo the Baker
_Emeritus

Post by _Enzo the Baker »

Meh, LDS god thinks Dallin should have been more specific.
_Rino
_Emeritus

Post by _Rino »

Previously gloating because missionaries were attacked.

Now gloating because women are being sexually assaulted.

At what point does it sink in that it has nothing to do with Mormonism, or Christianity, or Daniel Peterson, or anything. It's just that you're very, very unhappy and disturbed people. Mormonism did not do this to you, you choose to be miserable.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Rino wrote:Previously gloating because missionaries were attacked.

At what point does it sink in that it has nothing to do with Mormonism, or Christianity, or Daniel Peterson, or anything. It's just that you're very, very unhappy and disturbed people. Mormonism did not do this to you, you choose to be miserable.

Naah. They're not miserable - they are giggling disrespectfully.

I mean, an apostle prayed

We pray that Thou wilt protect this temple and all of its surrounding facilities from every destructive influence of any kind.

And shortly afterwards an innocent woman undergoes a very unpleasant experience in the grounds that he has prayed will be put under divine protection. It just shows how much use prayer is, compared to paying for a security patrol, doesn't it?
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Why did God choose to divert the bomb in Brussels away from killing missionaries (as Oaks claimed) but not choose to divert harm from this woman on temple grounds (as specifically prayed for by Oaks citing his priesthood)?

*It's a fair question given how Oaks proclaimed at Conference that God intervened in Brussels.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Rino
_Emeritus

Post by _Rino »

I have a question wrote:

Why did God choose to divert the bomb in Brussels away from killing missionaries (as Oaks claimed) but not choose to divert harm from this woman on temple grounds (as specifically prayed for by Oaks citing his priesthood)?

I'm sure the family that lost their mother would be glad to know you take such glee at the opportunity to mock Mormons.

It's not the Church that makes you unhappy or angry, you're really just a terrible person. And no one made you this way, you just want to be this way. And ultimately you are getting what you want out of this, but in the end I'm not sure it is worth it.

Honestly, if becoming you is what leaving the Church means, why would anyone want to do it. The Brussels bombing is still impacting the local community, could you hold off on the glee until after the funerals?
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Rino wrote:I'm sure the family that lost their mother would be glad to know you take such glee at the opportunity to mock Mormons.

If her family and friends asked you why God didn't divert harm from her as He did with the Missionaries in Brussels, even though Apostle Oaks specifically requested she be protected, how would you answer them?
Last edited by Guest on Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

There's nothing particularly Mormon about this. Just violence and sadness. I hope the victim and their family gets the support that they need. I wish them well.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov