Denver Snuffer and My Lifelong TBM Mother

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_DrW
_Emeritus

Re: Denver Snuffer and My Lifelong TBM Mother

Post by _DrW »

Sethbag wrote:Well that's certainly interesting DrW. I couldn't imagine that happening with my parents, but then, you couldn't imagine it either with your mother, and look what's happened. So who knows?

While I'm happy to see the Morg bleeding like this, it still saddens me in a way that people are leaving it not for the freedom from Joseph's Myth that they so richly deserve, but rather to burrow in even deeper.

I'd be far happier to see Mormons realize that Joseph Smith wasn't what they were taught to believe at all, rather than just that Thomas Monson isn't faithfully enough carrying on Smith's standard.

To me, burrowing even deeper into Josephs' myth is not of much concern on a practical level. Compared to the burden of money and time that the LDS Church requires from folks in order to be a member in good standing, meeting in a small group, taking the sacrament and praying is not of much consequence, especially if one feels uplifted by these rituals.

When one considers the cost of full participation in the LDS Church, including tithing, fast offerings, travel time, gas, time spent in Church meetings, time spent visiting teaching, time in the temple, etc., the burden on older individuals on fixed incomes, and often with limited mobility, can be substantial - even overwhelming.

Some time ago, I suggested to my mother that I would feel better if she would not pay tithing on the money she received from me each month - and left it at that. During the conversation reported in the OP, she stated that she had stopped paying tithing on this money a long time ago, and was glad to have had a reason (my request) to do so.

She said that more recently she had stopped paying tithing altogether and felt much less anxious about her finances as a result.

People don't seem to realize what full participation in the LDS Church actually costs them until they stop participating.
Last edited by Guest on Fri May 20, 2016 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

So members are seeking, but wait Snuffer is a believer in Joseph Smith as PSR so that tells me he is as whacked out as the Hamlins and Peterson's on the other side of the equation. These seekers of the good ole days are grasping for something to believe is true but believing Joseph Smith is a prophet is
Not the answer IMHO. He initiated the scam!
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

kairos wrote:So members are seeking, but wait Snuffer is a believer in Joseph Smith as PSR so that tells me he is as whacked out as the Hamlins and Peterson's on the other side of the equation. These seekers of the good ole days are grasping for something to believe is true but believing Joseph Smith is a prophet is
Not the answer IMHO. He initiated the scam!

I don't think you and I are Mr. Snuffer's target audience. :biggrin:
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

It would have been easy for her to maintain the status quo at her age, but no, the lady got balls!

I'm pleased for you Doc.

The anecdote about what is happening Utah is supported by Ballards recent rant at those members for not turning up to General Conference and for not heeding the words of the Apostles. If the heart is bleeding, then you got problems.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

I have a question wrote:It would have been easy for her to maintain the status quo at her age, but no, the lady got balls!

I'm pleased for you Doc.

The anecdote about what is happening Utah is supported by Ballards recent rant at those members for not turning up to General Conference and for not heeding the words of the Apostles. If the heart is bleeding, then you got problems.

Well, as Consig puts it:
consiglieri wrote:Members are hemorrhaging out the right and left aorta.

Just read ^ this ^ again. The mental picture is a bit disturbing, but captures the developing situation quite well. Consig does have a way with words sometimes. :biggrin:
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Post by _Sanctorian »

This is an amazing story DrW and your mother sounds like an amazing person.
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

sweet, I await the day my kids face it and act on it.
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

DrW wrote:She said that more recently she had stopped paying tithing altogether and felt much less anxious about her finances as a result.

Well, she found a good way to give her fixed income a 10% raise (probably more, really). Good for her!
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen
_Franktalk
_Emeritus

Post by _Franktalk »

I am waiting for the day when the exodus makes the leaders change tithing to 15%.
_The Dude
_Emeritus

Post by _The Dude »

Very cool about your mother, DrW. But in a way, sad as well because you suggest she might feel betrayed for her lifetime of sunk costs.

DrW wrote:
consiglieri wrote:Members are hemorrhaging out the right and left aorta.

Just read ^ this ^ again. The mental picture is a bit disturbing, but captures the developing situation quite well. Consig does have a way with words sometimes. :biggrin:

yeah, because there's no such thing as right/left aorta. :lol:
"And yet another little spot is smoothed out of the echo chamber wall..." Bond