MormonLeaks: PP on "Threats to the Church"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Re: MormonLeaks: PP on "Threats to the Church"

Post by _I have a question »

candygal wrote:I am wondering what his former students are thinking now. Quite an impressive past and they would esteem him as a great influence on their lives. This must have shook some people up.

Not to mention the missionaries during his mission presidency.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

"I know there are a lot of people that have been re-baptized," Snuffer told 2News. "I know that there are people that are blogging in the Boise area and talking about meetings that are taking place up there and fellowships that are forming."

But the church denies last weekend’s meeting came in response to any of that. Eric Hawkins, church spokesman, told 2News in a statement, "Elder Oaks was not scheduled for an assignment that weekend so decided to use his free time to visit an area with a concentration of members, knowing that some members have questions from time to time that trouble them."
Snuffer doesn't know what role -- if any -- he played.
Link

After the audio of this meeting was posted online, it sparked a lot of discussion on blogs and other sites. Many speculated Snuffer and others like him were the reason for this meeting. Snuffer told 2News traffic to his website has spiked since the Boise gathering.

But the church insists that's not the case, and that Oaks simply saw the opportunity to visit Boise to teach important doctrines of the church.

Looks like the PowerPoint shows Brother Hawkins, under instruction of the FP, told a bit of a whopper....
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_2bizE
_Emeritus

Post by _2bizE »

Some are debating whether the slides are fake. Surely, they are just as bland as our leaders at the top.
~ 2BizE
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Post by _Sanctorian »

2bizE wrote:Some are debating whether the slides are fake. Surely, they are just as bland as our leaders at the top.

It appears they are real. See here: http://mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45475
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_Juggler Vain
_Emeritus

Post by _Juggler Vain »

I have a question wrote:Looks like the PowerPoint shows Brother Hawkins, under instruction of the FP, told a bit of a whopper....

Directly relevant: http://intellectualpreserve.org/ifm_pr_spin.html
Spice up your Sunday School lessons with Intellectual Preserve.
_SuperDell
_Emeritus

Post by _SuperDell »

"I have to say I'm a little skeptical of this release. Call me a cynic or whatever, but I'm wondering about the authenticity of this release."

01 March 2017 - Las Vegas, NV

MormonLeaks™ Receives Legal Notice From LDS Church

On March 1, 2017 MormonLeaks received the following notice ordering us to take down the PowerPoint presentation that was leaked yesterday. The LDS Church was also successful in getting docdroid.net to take down the document independent of any action on the part of MormonLeaks.

MormonLeaks is committed to making this and all other documents we receive available to the public. We are currently working with our attorneys to find a solution that will allow us to make this document available again and avoid interruptions in the future.

----------------------------------

You don't do a DMCA takedown notice on something that is not real.
“Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth.”
― Joseph Joubert
_CameronMO
_Emeritus

Post by _CameronMO »

I'll happily admit that I was wrong!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Trimble, you ignorant sack of rhinoceros puss. The only thing more obvious than your lack of education is the foul stench that surrounds you.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

The Wizard didn't like being exposed as a bumbling out of touch old man pulling at ropes.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

If anyone downloaded and has a copy of the ppt before it was pulled due to legal threats from the LDS church, please PM me.
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

From reddit, "I feel like one of the leaked slides is way more complicated than it needs to be"