Benchmarking the Q15's performance...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Benchmarking the Q15's performance...

Post by _I have a question »

A major drive to engage every church member in Total Member Involvement has helped propel the Seventh-day Adventist Church past 20 million members for the first time in its history.

The Adventist Church had 20,008,779 members as of Dec. 31, 2016, a net increase of 882,332 people, or 4.6 percent, from the previous year, the church’s Office of Archives, Statistics, and Research said.

In another milestone, a record 1.2 million people were baptized last year, including an unprecedented 110,000 in Rwanda, while new churches continued to be planted at a rapid rate.

“What these statistics tell me about the church’s efforts to fulfill its mission is that church leaders and, increasingly, church members are putting considerable resources into reaching new souls for God’s kingdom,” said David Trim, director of the Office of Archives, Statistics, and Research. “Total Member Involvement has a huge role to play here, and the record baptisms in 2016 already reflect TMI.”

Total Member Involvement (TMI), implemented in its first full year in 2016, is a world church initiative that encourages every church member to actively share the gospel in his or her community. Outreach efforts include literature distribution, Bible studies, cooking classes, health seminars, free clinics, and public evangelistic meetings.

Reacting to the new membership figures, Seventh-day Adventist Church president Ted N.C. Wilson emphasized the connection between church growth and the involvement of every church member, especially lay people.

“The engagement of lay people in Total Member Involvement is so important to what we are seeing happen in the world church,” Wilson said.
Link

What's the secret of this success?

“The Holy Spirit is leading our church members to be so actively involved in every aspect of personal and public witness,” he said by e-mail. “Let us never forget the counsel given to us in ‘Testimonies for the Church, Vol. 9,’ page 117: ‘The work of God in this earth can never be finished until the men and women comprising our church membership rally to the work and unite their efforts with those of ministers and church officers.’”

Duane McKey, TMI coordinator for the world church, said the membership growth is “clearly an indication that TMI is blessed by God.”

“When the whole church is mobilized like in Rwanda, when every member is doing something, God is there and God will bless,” McKey said. “This truly is an illustration as to how the work can be finished!”

Clearly God and the Holy Ghost are actually 7th Day Adventists, not Mormons.

Record Accessions

Statistics indicate that the Adventist Church, founded in 1863 with only 3,500 members, is going from peak to peak in membership growth. The church has witnessed record accessions in each of the past three years, with 1,167, 506 new members in 2014, followed by 1,260,880 new members in 2015, and 1,314,950 in 2016, Trim said.

Last year also was the first year that baptisms — as opposed to professions of faith — exceeded 1.2 million, he said. In all, there were 1,271,305 baptisms and 43,645 professions of faith in 2016.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Re: Benchmarking the Q15's performance...

Post by _Fence Sitter »

It is interesting to see responses at MAD from the faithful LDS on this.

Ahab, doing a very funny and unintentional imitation of Groucho Marx says:

Ahab @ MAD wrote:The fastest growing church in the world is probably the church that the world likes the most, and with the values of the world these days I don't think I would want to be in the church that the world thinks is the best church to join.
vs Groucho Marx

Groucho Marx wrote:I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER.

See here
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Post by _deacon blues »

The LDS would probably have 20 million if they hadn't messed around with polygamy and racism for so long. Now they have to play catch up. Whose ideas were those anyway?
_malkie
_Emeritus

Post by _malkie »

Fence Sitter wrote:It is interesting to see responses at MAD from the faithful LDS on this.

Ahab, doing a very funny and unintentional imitation of Groucho Marx says:

Ahab @ MAD wrote:The fastest growing church in the world is probably the church that the world likes the most, and with the values of the world these days I don't think I would want to be in the church that the world thinks is the best church to join.
vs Groucho Marx

Groucho Marx wrote:I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER.

See here

When we are the fastest growing it's because we're the only true church and god is with us.

When the opposition is the fastest growing it's because they are easy-going and worldly.

Obviously, right?
NOMinal member

Maksutov: "... if you give someone else the means to always push your buttons, you're lost."
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Not so long ago Uchtdorf tied the legitimacy of the claim of Mormonism being the one true religion to the Church's growth rate. he said:
Why Would Anyone Join Such a Church?

At a time when many churches throughout the world are experiencing significant decreases in numbers, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints—though small in comparison with many others—is one of the fastest growing churches in the world. As of September 2013 the Church has more than 15 million members around the world.

There are many reasons for this, but may I offer a few?

The Savior’s Church

First, this Church was restored in our day by Jesus Christ Himself. Here you will find the authority to act in His name—to baptize for the remission of sins, to confer the gift of the Holy Ghost, and to seal on earth and in heaven.1
Link

So if a fast growth rate is one of the key hallmarks of the Saviour's Church, Uchtdorf must now believe the Seventh Day Adventists are more likely to be The Saviour's Church. Tying legitimacy to growth rate was a foolish thing to do and anyone could and should have seen the foolishness of doing so.

From a strategic point of view, the Saviour's 15 legitimate Apostles, who meet with Jesus weekly to discuss things like missionary work etc, whose decisions are ratified through divine guidance, are being outsmarted by a bunch of Seventh Day Adventists who lack such superior guidance. How come?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Smackdown: 7d Adventist's "Total Member Involvement" v. LDS "every member a missionary".

Maybe 7dAdv's are not as ashamed and bashful to mention their religion/beliefs to others as LDS are.
_reflexzero
_Emeritus

Post by _reflexzero »

sock puppet wrote:
Maybe 7dAdv's are not as ashamed and bashful to mention their religion/beliefs to others as LDS are.

Even as a full-on TBM I wouldn't wish the Church on my worst enemy.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

_GameOver
_Emeritus

Post by _GameOver »

They are probably lying about their membership numbers just like the Mormon Church does. They are simply another cult who reveres the false prophetess - Ellen G. White.
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

I have a question wrote:
Clearly God and the Holy Ghost are actually 7th Day Adventists, not Mormons.

The way I see it is that God is looking out for the earth and its people as a whole...including SDA's. Afterall, he created it and is running the show. All folks around the world aren't all 'eating off the same plate'. But they are all being serviced in one way or another. And if they're not being serviced adequately by our standards, God will make do with what is available and make things right somewhere/somehow.

Atonement of Christ fits in here.

Seventh Day Adventists. Cool folks. I'm sure God loves them and the work they do to bring souls to Christ. I'm sure the Holy Spirit and/or the Light of Christ works among them to lead towards greater happiness and a greater good.

I met a family of SDA's on my mission. Nice folks. The church and their beliefs were serving them well.

Check this out:

https://news.adventist.org/en/all-episo ... t-members/

Doesn't this guy...the white guy...look like a composite of Elton John, Ben Franklin, and the Cowardly Lion in the Wizard of OZ? :lol:

Hey IHAQ, I still would like to hear what you have to say in response to some questions I asked you over here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45497

If you have time. Thanks.

Regards,
MG