Over/Under on the next apostle?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: Over/Under on the next apostle?

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

BROZILIAN.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_moinmoin
_Emeritus

Post by _moinmoin »

There is a highly-disproportionate number of apostles called from the ranks of a) the presiding bishopric, and b) university presidents.

I'll go with Bishop Chausse (French) and Kim Clark (former BYUI president), with current BYU president Worthen as an alternate.
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

Stem wrote:I'll toss in 5 bucks for a Latin American guy getting promoted.

one like pope francis? no, sir, this is not that type church.
Pope discusses life's biggest questions with International Space Station crew

any policy change? maybe after two thousand years...

see from Joseph Fielding Smith :
In early 1961, Smith preached to a stake conference congregation in Hawaii:

We will never get a man into space. This earth is man's sphere and it was never intended that he should get away from it. The moon is a superior planet to the earth and it was never intended that man should go there. You can write it down in your books that this will never happen.
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

Because no one else picked this guy, I will follow the money... my prediction will be on Michael John U. Teh. The Philippines is one of the last places the church is actually growing, so they say... so to me it makes sense, but LDS sense doesn't always make sense in picking a seer and revelator.

If we were betting real money... Christensen even money, club rules almost demand it.
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

SteelHead wrote:I'll put $5 on it being a geriatric white guy. Once we get a few more bets we can start calculating the odds.

Here's the problem facing those who are tasked with extending a calling to the next apostle...there is an almost undetectable under current taking place within the church. Members have become sensitive to the fact that all of the apostles are rich white guys. I think we are past the time when we can safely say that no believer will rise an eyebrow if yet another white guy gets called. This subtle awareness taking place is a small fissure within the church. Members are becoming sensitive and aware of the message being sent by the all white leadership church to a culturally and ethically diverse world. And they are quietly embarrassed by the lack of diversity among the twelve.

Will this be enough to influence those who are choosing the next man? Maybe, maybe not. But I'm going to guess that it will be on their minds as they make this choice. But I'm going to also guess that their core bias and deeply held racist, ethnocentric viewpoints will prevail. We'll get another white guy...I mean come on, these guys can't risk putting a brown or black man into the apostleship who could possibly outlive others and become Prophet of the church could they...that would be a disaster right?
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Post by _Water Dog »

Last edited by Guest on Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

There are a couple of dark pieces of chocolate in the Mormon candy box but everyone knows that a new apostle is going to be white as snow and a chip off the old block. You can be sure, he's going to be white and almost certainly American. Mormon Jesus only trusts the white ones to rule. The dark ones (lower down) are there for display purposes only, they are tokens to represent the darker skinned people who can someday become white as they are cleansed by the gospel. This church is led by White & Delightsome apostles and prophets. It will always be so.

I say this in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

_Eyepatch
_Emeritus

Post by _Eyepatch »

How about T. Callister? IMHO, he's next.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Denis Diderot
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

Eyepatch wrote:How about T. Callister? IMHO, he's next.

I agree...they tend to go with the biggest ass kisser...and Callister has certainly kissed every ass in the quorum...probably literally.
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Choose me, I'm White & Delightsome.

L. Whitney Clayton

Choose me, I bear the Savior's name.

Craig C. Christensen

Choose me, I make good missionary soup.

Edward Dube