19th Century Protestant Phrases in the Book of Mormon

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

19th Century Protestant Phrases in the Book of Mormon

Post by _Craig Paxton »

I was reading an interesting blog post today in https://wheatandtares.org/2017/11/08/19 ... of-mormon/.

I won't repeat the blog here but found it to be quite interesting...thought some here might enjoy reading it also. Seems the book is firmly grounded not in the 4th century AD but 19th century AD...but then we already knew that didn't we.
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: 19th Century Protestant Phrases in the Book of Mormon

Post by _moksha »

Easy explanation. The seer stone was programmed to convert Reformed Egyptian text into 19th Century expressions and then make it sound like Jacobean English so as to be pleasing to the Lord.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

It's amazing how smart people still believe the Book of Mormon is somehow divinely inspired and/or historical. Clearly it is neither of those and from the 19th century. I guess social and family pressure, or stubborness overcomes reason for these people.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

I haven't been on MD&D in over a month (yeah) but in doing a google search on this subject I discovered that there is a parallel thread going on over there if anyone is interested in seeing this subject through a believers eyes.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

Craig Paxton wrote:I haven't been on MD&D in over a month (yeah) but in doing a google search on this subject I discovered that there is a parallel thread going on over there if anyone is interested in seeing this subject through a believers eyes.

Crap...I am missing you a bunch over there...Kennego has run out of emoticons waiting for you to return. :smile:
_churchistrue
_Emeritus

Post by _churchistrue »

Thanks for posting my article. I post from here from time to time, discussing especially my "New Mormonism" stuff.
Sharing a view of non-historical/metaphorical "New Mormonism" on my blog http://www.churchistrue.com/
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

MG:
Link?

OK. I got off my duff and went and found it:

http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/698 ... -emodeers/

Does this poster post on this board?

hope_for_things

For example, on this thread:

http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/698 ... at-nauvoo/

I'm impressed with that poster's patience and knowledge...and basic civility. Just wondering if they post here too.

Regards,
MG
Last edited by Guest on Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Craig Paxton wrote:I haven't been on MD&D in over a month (yeah) but in doing a google search on this subject I discovered that there is a parallel thread going on over there if anyone is interested in seeing this subject through a believers eyes.

Congrats on earning your 1 month pin.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Cinepro helped pick out the salient point from Dr. Peterson's article:
In Nauvoo, Joseph "hired" two jobless immigrant men to dig a ditch near his store. After finishing, Joseph complimented their work and compensated them with two large pieces of meat and two sacks of flour, a far more generous payment than they felt they deserved. They had a strong testimony that Joseph was a Prophet.

I would have described this behavior as generous rather than necessarily denoting a prophet. However, this story is so vivid. "Holy moly Mr. Smith, we would dig a ditch any day for two large pieces of meat and two sacks of flour. We can make some rather tasty homeless immigrant food with this bounty. Bless our lucky stars, you are one true prophet for sure!"

by the way, Ed Smart (the father of Elizabeth Smart) also liked to hire the homeless and then compensate them with goods.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

candygal wrote:

Crap...I am missing you a bunch over there...Kennego has run out of emoticons waiting for you to return. :smile:

Haha thanks but you're probably the only one. I'm done, never going back unless they offer me full and complete access...and we both know that's never gonna happen