Discussion of the ''DCP / plagiarism'' thread

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Re: DCP's ongoing problem with plagiarism

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tator wrote:I conclude that it will not make any difference if a charge of Pasterson's plagiarism was initiated with BYU or any church organization. I make that claim because Pasterson's documented offenses have gone on for years with no effect what so ever. BYU is aware, as well as I am sure, the SCMC is aware and a slew of other "bought and paid for" apologists. They do nothing which is the same as condoning and maybe even encouraging the behavior. Either way Pasterson gets a pass, a sort of Second Anointing "get out of jail free" award for plagiarism.

There is no integrity in the church, BYU, SCMC, paid apologists or especially within DittoCopyPasterson.

Well There's a reason the PAC12 took a hard pass on the Y. If the school doesn't police itself it'll be disregarded as the Mormon version of Oral Roberts U.

- Doc

The main thing BYU needs to do to keep that from happening is to make sure that their SACS accreditation stays current.

When I was attending BYU, they were really bent on trying to represent themselves as the “Harvard of the West”. I think that is why they have purposely raised their application standards as much as they have. You can’t just attend BYU if you’re a member of the Church in good standing. It is actually quite difficult to get in. (At least to BYU Provo campus). The standards are a little easier for BYU Idaho.
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Philo Sofee wrote:I just finished reading the big hullaballoo over at Faith Promoting Rumor about Peterson's plaguing plagarism. One good side effect it has had (on me) is I found another Historical Jesus book I am going to read now! Lol! I am more than seriously curious if it is just more of the same. Peterson, as usual, will always make more out of this issue evidence wise than there is, and misrepresent the mythic case. I can't wait to see how Hutchison does it so I can review it here.

Do you have the link for that? And what new book did you find?

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _Lemmie »

Jesse Pinkman, in your last three posts, in a row and all within about a 10 minute span, you are quoting people whose responses have been about the topic, then you are spinning off a tiny part of each of them into completely different topic: 1) your experience with Nibley, 2) your assessment of BYU standards, 3) your interest in a book about Historical Jesus.

I repeat, the topic is "DCP's ongoing problem with plagiarism."

As the OP, I am asking you, AGAIN, please do not derail further.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Jesse Pinkman wrote: I would just like to see the man left alone.

The man himself doesn't want to be left alone.

Narcissistic bullies never do.

This whole thread is full of sads and bad faith. And derails.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered with/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Lemmie wrote:Jesse Pinkman, in your last three posts, in a row and all within about a 10 minute span, you are quoting people whose responses have been about the topic, then you are spinning off a tiny part of each of them into completely different topic: 1) your experience with Nibley, 2) your assessment of BYU standards, 3) your interest in a book about Historical Jesus.

I’m sorry but I think you’re being a tad over sensitive. Threads off-shoot slightly all the time. Doc made the comment about Nibley. I was responding to his comment. You are welcome to split off my posts, but I honestly don’t see anything that I have posted that was an intentional derail. If you would prefer, I will simply completely refrain from participating any further in the thread at all.

ETA-I asked Philo about a link that he had mentioned that was on topic, and simply asked what the title of the book was that he mentioned. So again, I think you are dissecting my posts for derailment a little too intensely.

Post by _Lemmie »

Jesse Pinkman wrote:
Lemmie wrote:Jesse Pinkman, in your last three posts, in a row and all within about a 10 minute span, you are quoting people whose responses have been about the topic, then you are spinning off a tiny part of each of them into completely different topic: 1) your experience with Nibley, 2) your assessment of BYU standards, 3) your interest in a book about Historical Jesus.

I’m sorry but I think you’re being a tad over sensitive. Threads off-shoot slightly all the time. Doc made the comment about Nibley. I was responding to his comment. You are welcome to split off my posts, but I honestly don’t see anything that I have posted that was an intentional derail. If you would prefer, I will simply completely refrain from participating any further in the thread at all.

I have reported your last four posts as well as any others on page 15 that did not address the topic; while waiting for the mods to deal with those I will repeat, AGAIN:
Lemmie, to JP, wrote:I invite you to respond to the facts of the case if you would like to comment further on this thread.

Also, please don't send me any more PMs about this thread. It is unnecessary and bordering on inappropriate.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Philo Sofee wrote:I just finished reading the big hullaballoo over at Faith Promoting Rumor about Peterson's plaguing plagarism. One good side effect it has had (on me) is I found another Historical Jesus book I am going to read now! Lol! I am more than seriously curious if it is just more of the same. Peterson, as usual, will always make more out of this issue evidence wise than there is, and misrepresent the mythic case. I can't wait to see how Hutchison does it so I can review it here.

Since Lemmie thinks my other post that asked this question was off topic because I dared to ask a second question, :rolleyes: Philo, could you please provide the link of where this topic is being discussed on MDDB?

Thanks.

Post by _Lemmie »

Jesse Pinkman wrote:Since Lemmie thinks my other post that asked this question was off topic ...<SNIP!>
Your post has been reported, as there is no legitimate reason that you need to make this request on a thread where I have repeatedly asked you to stay on topic. This is your fifth off-topic post on this page alone, and there is no reason for you to keep it up, other than because you want to troll, a la Tobin.

For the FOURTH time:
Lemmie, to JP, wrote:I invite you to respond to the facts of the case if you would like to comment further on this thread.

bumped once again to get thread past Jesse Pinkman's derails:
DrW wrote:Jesse,

Where I work, a supposed professional who behaved as DCP continues to, and whose work products were of the general quality of DCP's, would have been terminated by now. The ethics and culture of an organization are judged by the behavior and public image of its senior professionals and long term staff.

I can't imagine any successful professional organization that would tolerate the poor quality work DCP manages to produce on a near daily basis.

We have just finished the long and expensive process of terminating a senior executive in our company because his work products and behavior were negatively affecting the entire organization and alienating the clients and counter parties with who we do business. The reputation of our company was important enough to us and our shareholders that we ended up spending a lot of time and money to get rid of this guy.

Just as this guy's behavior and persona corroded the reputation of our company, DCP's poor professional behavior reflects badly on BYU, on the LDS Church, and on Deseret News - at a minimum. As described by Gerald Bradford in his now famous letter to DCP, there was a reason that DCP was removed from his post at FARMS in 2012.
Gerald Bradford wrote: The time has come for us to take the Review in a different direction. What we need to do to properly affect this change in the Review is to ask someone else, someone working in the mainstream of Mormon studies, who has a comparable vision to my own for what it can accomplish, to edit the publication.

DCP's behavior subsequent to that event demonstrated very clearly why removing him was the right decision for FARMS and the Church.

Back in 2012 the it was ad hominem attacks. Today it's plagiarism.

In my opinion, and clearly in that of others on the board, the public image and reputations of the above named organizations that continue to hire, employ, or financially support DCP, and his public persona, are diminished by association for doing so. While granting that DCP probably retains a following within the rank and file of the Mormondom, the perceptions of the general public at large are what is important to the Church in the long run.

To get the thread back on track, I wanted to come back to this very important observation by DrW.

Gerald Bradford made additional observations at the time, in effect stating that the approach taken in the past was simply not professional and did not reflect well on the University.

I doubt he would brook any possibility that the approach he oversees now would be allowed to be tainted, repeatedly, with documented plagiarism.
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Your post has been reported, as there is no legitimate reason that you need to make this request on a thread where I have repeatedly asked you to stay on topic. This is your fifth off-topic post on this page alone, and there is no reason for you to keep it up, other than because you want to troll, a la Tobin.

Then I assume you will be reporting Philo’s post as well? Philo made a comment about a comparison thread to yours on MDDB and was discussing the differences. Doc and I actually BOTH asked for the link to the other discussion. Shades also regularly asks for links of other threads that are mentioned. So again, you are being overly sensitive and accusing me of trolling which was not my goal. So please, continue to report away. I would frankly think that you would welcome my receiving the link to a thread on a different board discussing this topic because it means I will spend less time on this thread.

Also, please don't send me any more PMs about this thread. It is unnecessary and bordering on inappropriate.

I didn’t threaten you in any way, nor did I curse you out. I simply told you to get off your high horse.

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Jesse Pinkman wrote:Then I assume you will be reporting Philo’s post as well? Philo made a comment about a comparison thread to yours on Mormon Dialogue & Discussion Board

JP, Philo never mentioned "Mormon Dialogue" at all. He explicitly mentioned it was "Faith Promoting Rumor." As you are well aware, they are completely different websites/forums.

Please just leave this thread alone. Your contributions on his thread amount to nothing more than several unsuccessful attempts to bully, derail and feign ignorance.

Please do not respond to this post unless you want to discuss the numerous examples set forth in this thread about Peterson's plagarizing.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014