Abducted in Plain Sight

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: Abducted in Plain Sight

Post by _Kishkumen »

Res Ipsa wrote:One of my fears about being a parent has been that my kids would be harmed because I exposed them to danger that I should have seen.

I’m right there with you, brother. But these people were unbelievably pliable and naïve. It’s almost inexplicable.

Consider that the mother nearly left her husband for the kidnapper after the first kidnapping and the perp’s threat to reveal the dirt on the parents unless they sign the affidavits exonerating him.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Kishkumen wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:One of my fears about being a parent has been that my kids would be harmed because I exposed them to danger that I should have seen.

I’m right there with you, brother. But these people were unbelievably pliable and naïve. It’s almost inexplicable.

Consider that the mother nearly left her husband for the kidnapper after the first kidnapping and the perp’s threat to reveal the dirt on the parents lest they sign the affidavits exonerating him.

I read the Daily Mail article. Unreal. The dad breaks down during filming over giving the perp a hand job, saying it’s the worst thing he ever did in his life. Hello??? How about letting an adult man sleep in the same bed as your 12 year old daughter? How about helping the perp get out of serving his sentence? How about failing to either move or keep the perp away from your daughter after he’s already kidnapped and raped her?

But no, the handjob is the worst thing ever.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

From the article:

Bob Berchtold was a master manipulator, he used charm and charisma to insert himself into the Broberg family and drive a wedge between Bob and Mary Ann.

Bob had well inserted himself into the Broberg family; winning their trust and confidence.

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree that he inserted himself into the Broberg family, all right.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Madison54
_Emeritus

Post by _Madison54 »

Kishkumen wrote:The pedo rapist piece of garbage was a temple worker for 7 years.

He was only disfellowshipped and never was excommunicated. He served a year in prison for raping another child and still was not ex'd.

He not only went on to serve in the temple after this, but he also served in a bishopric (where he held one on one interviews with children and teens).
_GameOver
_Emeritus

Post by _GameOver »

Thanks for the rundown on this film. I think I’ll avoid it (too triggering of outrage).
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

It's a horrific result of not just communal trust but also of misunderstanding evil. Evil can walk in with a warm smile and flowers. It can look authentic and vulnerable. It can look so pitiable that you don't know what it is, especially when there are no boundaries for your being nice to others.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Res Ipsa wrote:But no, the handjob is the worst thing ever.

Yup. That’s the thing that reduced him to a puddle of tears.

That bit was jaw-droppingly disturbing.

As were so many other parts of this documentary.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Madison54 wrote:He was only disfellowshipped and never was excommunicated. He served a year in prison for raping another child and still was not ex'd.

He not only went on to serve in the temple after this, but he also served in a bishopric (where he held one on one interviews with children and teens).

Absolutely outrageous.

A big turd on the turd mountain of evidence that the LDS Church is systemically broken when it comes to protecting children from sexual abuse.
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

Kishkumen wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:But no, the handjob is the worst thing ever.

Yup. That’s the thing that reduced him to a puddle of tears.

That bit was jaw-droppingly disturbing.

As were so many other parts of this documentary.

My teen daughter and I watched it together and were exclaiming profanities throughout. It was enraging! It was sumultaneously understandable, though, and eerily familiar. I totally get the environment of trust and shame. I can imagine how unspeakable things can cease to exist in our minds if we think they're impossible, even when presented with the evidence.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Meadowchik wrote:My teen daughter and I watched it together and were exclaiming profanities throughout. It was enraging! It was sumultaneously understandable, though, and eerily familiar. I totally get the environment of trust and shame. I can imagine how unspeakable things can cease to exist in our minds if we think they're impossible, even when presented with the evidence.

True, MC. I think it is much more the case in the homogenous LDS communities of the Mountain West. I grew up outside of Washington, D.C., and I just can't see the level of naïve trust in others that would allow something like that to happen occurring too often in my LDS environment. Won't say it didn't or couldn't happen, but those homogeneously LDS communities out West make a better hunting ground for the predators, in my opinion. Just my two cents.