Russell Nelson to speak at NAACP national convention

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.

Will Russell apologize for the past racists teachings and the priesthood ban

Total votes: 0

_Stem
_Emeritus

Re: Russell Nelson to speak at NAACP national convention

Post by _Stem »

I thought his speech was pretty good all things considered. I did wonder, though, if he in 1965 saw himself giving this speech in 2019 if he'd cheer himself.

It would have been exceptional if he acknowledged that the church was racist and that is was wrong to do so--that the Church is changing, learning and growing in that regard. But you know...what can you say?
_Fiannan
_Emeritus

Post by _Fiannan »

moksha wrote:
jfro18 wrote:But I doubt it... although I do wonder how much $$ the church donated to get a speaking slot at their convention.

I think the Church made a hefty contribution last year before the 40th anniversary of the racial purity ban, and that the NAACP would like an ongoing relationship of this sort.

How much?
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Fiannan wrote:How much?

That part is unknown since an angel came around and confiscated all written and digital data lest it fall into the hands of the gentiles.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Stem wrote:I thought his speech was pretty good all things considered. I did wonder, though, if he in 1965 saw himself giving this speech in 2019 if he'd cheer himself.

It would have been exceptional if he acknowledged that the church was racist and that is was wrong to do so--that the Church is changing, learning and growing in that regard. But you know...what can you say?

I thought his speech was powder puff, cheap and meaningless platitudes.

Here's the transcript:
https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... on-remarks

As recorded in the Book of Mormon, which we esteem as a scriptural companion to the Holy Bible, the Savior invites “all to come unto him and partake of his goodness; and he [denies] none that come unto him, black and white, bond and free, male and female; . . . all are alike unto God” (see 2 Nephi 26:33).
Sadly Mr Nelson didn't go on to quote the earlier passage from 2nd Nephi.

Had he made a commitment to stop printing and distributing racist hate speech (committing to remove 2nd Nephi 5:21 for example), he would have sent a message to not just the NAACP, but also to stalwart members like "moinmoin" who maintain the belief that Race & The Priesthood is simply PR spin and black skin really is a sign of a curse from God.

It's all just words, just PR. Let's see the action Mr Nelson, let's see some actual action.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

I have a question wrote:It's all just words, just PR. Let's see the action Mr Nelson, let's see some actual action.

Well, it was a speech, so I"m not sure why he's criticized for using words.

I suppose we'll disagree. I'm not saying it was a great speech, nor that he did much more than what was likely his assignment in such an environment. I'm not saying he did anything great. I'm saying it was ok. He said some good things and at the very least did his job.
_jfro18
_Emeritus

Post by _jfro18 »

Fiannan wrote:
moksha wrote:I think the Church made a hefty contribution last year before the 40th anniversary of the racial purity ban, and that the NAACP would like an ongoing relationship of this sort.

How much?

The church donated $2 million last year to create a new outreach for African American geneology, which would surely buy you a spot to speak for a photo op at an event like this.

Here's a link to donating $2M to create an African American family history museum: https://kutv.com/news/local/lds-church-donates-2-million-to-create-african-american-genealogy-museum

Not sure if they've done a separate NAACP donation beyond this.