Peterson speculates on why the Church hides it?????s finances.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Re: Peterson speculates on why the Church hides it’s finance

Post by _Gadianton »

Nice distraction. None of those things would matter if the church simply took in what it needed to function and actually be a church, including building temples, and then told people to pay less tithing. The reason why it hides its finances is because the vast, vast majority of money it's taken in is somewhere other than providing the services it needs to function as a church, and it's so much money there is no conceivable use for it as a church.

But they beg, and tear up, and demand that tithe paying is the very essence of Sainthood. "Pay your tithing!" It's the absolute most important thing you can do. The less they need it, the more fervently they beg.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I dunno. I think at some point an adult who pays a tithe is solely responsible for supporting the institution or not. Bottom line if a Mormon isn’t happy with the arrangement they can just finagle some sort of mental gymnastics with it a la tithing on their increase or some such thing. Personally, I like Dr. Shades’ take that he knows God takes His cut before giving him his 90%. Perfect!
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Pulling out my high powered apologetics:
God won't let the Church make a financial report because that would make it too easy for members to believe in the fiscal honesty of the Church.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

After the series finalized and the dust settles, the author should sit back and consider, now that he has an array of defenses, possibilities, and reversals on the motives of critics before him; does he, in his quietest and most sincere moment, believe any of it is actually the case?
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

moksha wrote:Pulling out my high powered apologetics:
God won't let the Church make a financial report because that would make it too easy for members to believe in the fiscal honesty of the Church.

That is an awesome apologetic! God always wants to force his children to uncomfortably trust the leaders.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Exiled wrote:That is an awesome apologetic!

Really? I'll try even harder!

Double Apologetics

You can't fault a church that potentially exists in a quantum state of financial transparency.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

Why does Donald Trump hide his finances?

When you under this, you will understand why the church hides its finances.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin