Official - LDS Charities spent only $100 million in 2019

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Latter-day Saint Charities helped millions of people through more than 3,000 humanitarian aid projects with 2,000 partners in 142 countries last year, according to its 2019 Annual Report.

The report reflected increases from 2018, when the charity completed 2,885 projects in 141 countries.

Monday’s report* did not say how much money was distributed during 2019, but it did say that the charity has now provided more than $2.3 billion worth of assistance since it was founded in 1985 by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In 2018, the charity noted it had provided $2.2 billion in assistance since 1985.

https://www.deseret.com/faith/2020/2/24 ... n-aid-2019

$2.3 billion since 1985, $100 million in 2019, are both a long way off Mr Causse's recent claim.
The church conducts myriad other humanitarian and welfare projects, including its fast-offering program. Together with Latter-day Saint Charities, the total humanitarian and welfare spending of the church approaches $1 billion per year**, according to the Presiding Bishopric.

LDS Charities in 2019 spent the equivalent of 0.08% of the secretly hoarded widows mite.

*Note - No Ensign Peak Funds were harmed in the making of this report.
**Starting to look more and more like he’s included operating expenses in that figure

The email to members on Monday also noted that Latter-day Charities has an updated website, LatterDaySaintCharities.org and a new Instagram account, @LatterDaySaintCharities.
Gotta get some lipstick on that pig, and fast....

Mr Causse needs to provide a more detailed breakdown of his claim. But he won't.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Re: Official - LDS Charities spent only $100 million in 2019

Post by _Dr. Shades »

So far, so good. . .

Monday’s report* did not say how much money was distributed during 2019, . . .

If the report didn't say how much money was distributed during 2019, how do you know it was $100 million?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Dr. Shades wrote:

So far, so good. . .

Monday’s report* did not say how much money was distributed during 2019, . . .

If the report didn't say how much money was distributed during 2019, how do you know it was $100 million?

Simple math...

Monday’s report* did not say how much money was distributed during 2019, but it did say that the charity has now provided more than $2.3 billion worth of assistance since it was founded in 1985 by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In 2018, the charity noted it had provided $2.2 billion in assistance since 1985.

2.3 billion up to 2019 - 2.2 billion up to 2018 = 100 million 2019 spending
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

I have a question wrote:Simple math... 2.3 billion up to 2019 - 2.2 billion up to 2018 = 100 million 2019 spending

Got it; thanks.

Now, are we sure that that's actual money that was handed out, or are they assigning a dollar value to man-hours donated by Mormon volunteers?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Dr. Shades wrote:
I have a question wrote:Simple math... 2.3 billion up to 2019 - 2.2 billion up to 2018 = 100 million 2019 spending

Got it; thanks.

Now, are we sure that that's actual money that was handed out, or are they assigning a dollar value to man-hours donated by Mormon volunteers?

Given that the actual report declares it as “$2.3 billion worth of assistance” I think we can be sure that it’s not actual money. rather it’s Cash + Value Of Goods & Services + Value Assigned To Volunteer Man Hours. When it was reported annually under Provident Living that distinction was made explicitly.
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Moore »

Also keep in mind that LDS Philanthtopies raises money in a separate motion from ecclesiastical funds. They use dedicated area fund raisers who travel around, take people to breakfasts, lunches, dinners, get to know who has money, and ask for more of that money so the church can have funds to do charitable works outside of the church.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

I would not be surprised to find out that the 1 billion per year included any and all expenses and volunteer work done in temples or in building them, after all, the dead are as important if not more important to Mormons than the living. The temple in Italy was $200-$300M alone.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Flaming Meaux
_Emeritus

Post by _Flaming Meaux »

Dr. Shades wrote:

Got it; thanks.

At least in years gone by, when they reported the 'massive' amount of charity since 1985, the description certainly implied they were including the value of donated man-hours of members. I forget the exact phrasing they used and don't know whether I could find it in the wayback machine.

Here is an article from 2016, though, where Oaks says the value of humanitarian efforts averages $40 million a year (or 1.2 billion over 30 years), but then goes on to mention the number of 'volunteer hours' also contributed by the membership (something like 25 million hours in 2015 according to Oaks):
_Symmachus
_Emeritus

Post by _Symmachus »

Assuming the $100 million represents actual dollars and not the value of labor or services, how much should they have spent?
"As to any slivers of light or any particles of darkness of the past, we forget about them."

—B. Redd McConkie
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Symmachus wrote:Assuming the $100 million represents actual dollars and not the value of labor or services, how much should they have spent?

It would be nice to have some financial transparency in order to answer that question. I think the better question is what percentage of the intake goes to charity and how is that calculated. We don't know because they don't tell us and the $Billion claimed by Causse to have been spent last year is misleading at best and an outright lie at worst. The church clearly wants to hoard their money and only do as much as it barely needs to do to prevent disaffection and keep up appearances that it is like what members envision a church to be and not a hedge fund.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen