DCP Wonders if Dr. Shades is a "bigot"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

DCP Wonders if Dr. Shades is a "bigot"

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

It would seem that, despite a clear message that politics should be eliminated from "Sic et Non," the proprietor has nonetheless found himself unable to resist from engaging. Just take a look at some of these recent exchanges with "Sledge," who, If I recall correctly, some have suggested is a Will Schryver sock puppet:
DCP wrote:I'm a libertarian-leaning conservative, noel. Why would I vote for Clinton?

And why do you persist in addressing me as if I were a vocal Trump-booster? Have I endorsed Mr. Trump here?
Sledge wrote:Because the well being of the country is more important than your party lines?
DCP wrote:No, the well-being of my country is not more important to me than my principles -- the principles that I believe to be essential to its well-being.

I said absolutely nothing about either parties or party lines.
Yeah, watch out, Dr. Peterson! You've been warned about discussing politics! You wouldn't want your funding to disappear, would you?
Sledge wrote:Have you thought about reconsidering? This is one of the problems on the right—it’s always about “me, me, me, me, me” and not what’s best for all of us.
DCP wrote:Your slanderous characterization of the right is contemptible, Sledge, and your attempt to depict commitment to principle as selfishiness is painfully ludicrous.
Wow! Why so sensitive?
Sledge wrote:“The right” is not a person, and so can it really be slanderous to call out its immorality?
DCP wrote:"The right" is a group of persons, so it's slanderous and bigoted to baselessly stigmatize them all as immoral.

Not to mention ignorant, foolish, and false.

As I believe that I've said before, Sledge, you're a bigot.
Whoa! That is *very* harsh. "Bigot" is not a term to be thrown around lightly, is it? I mean, I don't think that *I* have ever called any of the Mopologists a straight-up "bigot," have I? I've pointed out deficiencies in their handling of race- and -religion-related issues. But "bigot"? (And I admit that I can't remember: I don't *think* that I have. Though maybe I have. Perhaps they'll comb through their dossiers in order to provide proof?) In any event, the whole thing starts to unravel in a hurry:
Sledge wrote:Ouch! Strong words. I’ve only used them for one other person, and that’s Mr. Shades.

It’s true that I regard the philosophy and values of right wing thought as morally reprehensible, but I certainly do not hate anyone because they espouse them.
I'm not sure what issue Sledge might have with Dr. Shades. Still, he seems to have found common ground with Dr. Peterson:
DCP wrote:You post as if you DO hate them.

You don't understand conservatism. You know nothing or next to nothing about it. You're not so very different from someone who knows nothing about Latinos or Jews or Blacks or Catholics or Muslims, except that they're all __________ (fill in the blank with the comprehensive expression of disdain that you choose).

I'm not sure that Shades deserves the term bigot, by the way, though maybe he does. Certainly some of the people to whom he's given a public platform deserve it (among other very negative descriptors).
Hmmmm. Why go after Dr. Shades in this manner, especially after Shades was banned from commenting (and defending himself)? And didn't Dr. P. promise--for a substantial sum of money--to not say derogatory things about this message board?

Whatever the case may be, this seems like a very serious slip-up to me, especially in light of the prohibition that was given to him concerning politics.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Re: DCP Wonders if Dr. Shades is a "bigot"

Post by _Gadianton »

Things are getting buttoned up there fast and I won't be surprised if "Sledge" is the next victim of censorship.

Note that it appears as if the "downvote" function has been universally revoked. "All positive" "everything is going great"-- posted from Pyongyang.

But censorship takes its toll. He can still get a response out of Gemli, but lately it's been post after post after post with zero to four comments.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Temp. Admin.
_Emeritus

Post by _Temp. Admin. »

(Dr. Shades here, posting under our "Temp. Admin." account.)
DCP wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:07 am
I'm not sure that Shades deserves the term bigot, by the way, though maybe he does.
"Maybe he does?" Ouch!
Hmmmm. Why go after Dr. Shades in this manner, especially after Shades was banned from commenting (and defending himself)?
Oh, it's certain that DCP wouldn't have mentioned me had Sledge not done so first. But if you're referring to why Sledge is going after me, it's because I'm convinced that Sledge is a sock-puppet of Smokey.*

*If anyone needs a refresher on why Smokey hates me, just ask.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Bigotry = mere disagreement for Dr. P and his trusty waterboy kiwi57. They love to label anyone a "bigot" who doesn't worship/agree with the mopologist version of Mormonism. It gets tiresome.

However, how else can they defend pure fantasy except through name calling? Dr. Ritner just finished showing how the book of abraham is definitely not from the papyri and Dr. Muhlestein is left to fumble around trying to force a years long book project onto a dying man instead of just engaging with the issues. Still no good response to Dr. Jenkins and the brethren just got caught hiding the loot from the loyal members. Mormonism is dead as a historical reality and so detractors who point out the obvious must be bigoted.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:23 am
Things are getting buttoned up there fast and I won't be surprised if "Sledge" is the next victim of censorship.

Note that it appears as if the "downvote" function has been universally revoked. "All positive" "everything is going great"-- posted from Pyongyang.

But censorship takes its toll. He can still get a response out of Gemli, but lately it's been post after post after post with zero to four comments.
Yes: it's deeply gratifying to know that his readership is dwindling away.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Smokey the alt-right bigot? Who believes in a bizarre anti-Semitic conspiracy theory? How could that be the same person as Sledge?
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Sledge is Waterdog. He has admitted the same.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:50 pm
Sledge is Waterdog. He has admitted the same.
Which is, frankly, still very surprising. Waterdog lashed out at some of us more than once for being “leftists.”
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Well, when it comes to the "alt-right" there is a huge trolling aspect to it, and so it would never surprise me if the same person who on Tuesdays is an anti-Semite, is an unhinged liberal on Thursdays.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Gadianton wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:40 am
Well, when it comes to the "alt-right" there is a huge trolling aspect to it, and so it would never surprise me if the same person who on Tuesdays is an anti-Semite, is an unhinged liberal on Thursdays.
True. I just never saw Waterdog as the trolling type.