Bob Crockett Has Passed Away

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Rivendale
God

Re: Bob Crockett Has Passed Away

Post by Rivendale »

I don't want to die a curmudgeon. That is all I can muster.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

I joined this message board in 2011. Bob probably responded to my posts a couple of hundred times. Every post from Bob I received was either an angry personal attack or a bitter explanation of why I was such a bad person.

I can only imagine the personal demons that haunted him.

Rest in peace Bob.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
MsJack
Deacon

Post by MsJack »

I'm sorry to hear this. He and David Bokovoy were the only Mormon apologists to speak out publicly against William Schryver's behavior, back when that was going on.

He had an interesting sense of humor.

My condolences to his family.
BA, Classics, Brigham Young University
MA, American Religious History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
PhD Student, Church History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

I’m glad his appearance on Mormonism Live was markedly different than his demeanor here. That’s how I’ll remember him, anyway.
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

I guess it’s okay now to share the following story:

Bob made personal contact with me last October when he heard about the upcoming debate with Midnight Mormons.

Turns out Bob lived in the same ward as Cardon Ellis.

Bob said he couldn’t stand Cardon and neither could anyone else in the ward; that Cardon is nothing but a blow hard who makes everything about him.

Bob offered to help me do mock debates and record them to prepare.

Bob said he carries a temple recommend and believes in the church.

But he still wanted me to wipe the floor with Cardon.

After the debate was over, Bob thanked me for answering his wish.
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

I sure hope Cardon Ellis doesn’t find out about this
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

I'm so very sorry to hear this. I always enjoyed crock. Prayers for comfort for all who love him.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Years ago I got so tired of his calling everyone "anonymous cowards" that I was tempted to do nothing for a while when someone doxxed all of his personal information here. You know, just so he could finally understand why others post under pseudonyms.

I was forced to adopt a much less harsh opinion of him when Keene told me the story of how he (Keene) needed to find a way to get from Washington State to Utah, and Bob Crocket a.k.a. "Bought Yahoo" wired him $300.00, free and clear.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
cinepro
CTR B

Post by cinepro »

I'm in Bob's stake, and they announced this in Church today. No cause was mentioned.

I had only met him a few times shortly after moving into the stake 10+ years ago. Our paths never really crossed, and we never went out of our way to talk to each other. We had a mutual friend, so I'm 99% certain that he knew I was "cinepro". I was posting a bit more back then, and I sometimes wondered if Bob would ever "out" me to local leadership, but he didn't (or if he did, they didn't care).

That being said, I do know that as a Bishop and Seminary teacher, Bob would often take positions that ran counter to the conservative/orthodox leanings of my area. The Church is a lesser organization without him.
Dr. Sunstoned
Valiant A

Post by Dr. Sunstoned »

I knew Bob on my mission. He had a good heart, and his bark was always bigger than his bite. I am saddened by this news. Rest in peace Bob.