Is the Book of Mormon anti-Masonry or anti-Spurious Masonry?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
dan vogel
CTR A

Is the Book of Mormon anti-Masonry or anti-Spurious Masonry?

Post by dan vogel »

Come see me and the Backyard Professor tonight at 6 pm Mountain Time.

I will be responding to Cheryl Bruno and Nick Literski's mostly feeble rebuttal of my incomplete review of their book Method Infinite. I will also discuss their ill-conceived attempt to make the Book of Mormon pro-Masonic and anti-spurious Masonic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVNx8NcCoJE
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Is the Book of Mormon anti-Masonry or anti-Spurious Masonry?

Post by Philo Sofee »

Coming soon to a forum near you (just a few hours now).
BeNotDeceived
Priest

Post by BeNotDeceived »

The B of M is a work of fiction, does it really matter?
dan vogel
CTR A

Post by dan vogel »

BeNotDeceived wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:20 pm
Yes. I'm not trying to simply debunk Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon. I'm trying to be a scholar of early Mormonism, so accuracy matters.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

BeNotDeceived wrote:
I don’t know about you, but the church (as a whole) being a work of fiction makes it much more fascinating to me than if it was true.

Mormonism is a unique glimpse into how religions are created by man. A process which normally is shrouded behind thousands of years of lost history.

There’s still so much to discover about it.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

Mormon history is one case study in the formation of a religion. It's probably going to show some forms of some common features in religion formation, but you can't overgeneralise from a small sample. Religions can be different in ways one doesn't expect.

Knowing a fair amount about a bunch of Christian denominations, for instance, I was once all set to learn that other religions had different volumes of hairsplitting theology, different deep dives into individual spiritual psychology, different structures of ecclesiastical authority. I was then baffled when I seemed to find that Islam has virtually no theology and makes personal righteousness a straightforward matter of obeying a few concrete rules. And I was surprised to learn that all the Muslim religious officials of which I had heard are really more lawyers than clerics, because Islam seems to violate the basic Christian assumption that religion is about the inner lives of individuals, and focus mainly on how society is supposed to work.

I can't say that I know all that much about any form of Islam, now, but at least I've learned not to think of it as a competing brand in the same product category as Christianity. Islam is a quite different kind of thing from Christianity in many significant ways. From a sufficiently zoomed-out distance one can still find common themes among different religions, but there are a lot of opportunities to misunderstand religions badly by taking one of them as a template for all.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
BeNotDeceived
Priest

Post by BeNotDeceived »

dan vogel wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:25 pm
BeNotDeceived wrote:
Yes. I'm not trying to simply debunk Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon. I'm trying to be a scholar of early Mormonism, so accuracy matters.
I understand. I started watching some of your You-Tube videos a few years ago as I was going down the rabbit hole of learning how I've been deceived my whole life and a member of a con-man's contrived religion pulled out of a hat (pun intended) which is now nothing more than a highly corrupt multi-hundred billion dollar real estate corporation masquerading as a religion while enjoying tax-exemption. :lol: 'Ole Joe would be extremely proud of what his fraudulent religion has become today. :oops: Thanks for all of your hard work in helping expose the ugly truths about the LDS 'church' but more specifically, the character (or lack thereof) of Joe Smith, one of the biggest con men of the 19th century and a highly iniquitous individual who deserves a special place on the other side for what he's done.
dan vogel
CTR A

Post by dan vogel »

drumdude wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:55 am
BeNotDeceived wrote:
I don’t know about you, but the church (as a whole) being a work of fiction makes it much more fascinating to me than if it was true.

Mormonism is a unique glimpse into how religions are created by man. A process which normally is shrouded behind thousands of years of lost history.

There’s still so much to discover about it.
I agree.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Physics Guy wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:02 am
Religions can be different in ways one doesn't expect.
The importance of delineating between common ordinary everyday fraud and super righteous extraordinary fraud needs to be rigorously stressed! Mormon history can be sullied with nothing less!
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace