Russell Nelson Is Not Popular Among Many Members

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
KevinSim
Bishop

Re: Russell Nelson Is Not Popular Among Many Members

Post by KevinSim »

mcjathan wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:12 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:53 pm
Wouldn’t being a heart surgeon give Russell M. Nelson some insight into immunology? It appears for the majority of posters on LDSFF that they’ve developed their own socio-political religion that trumps the Mormon one.
You would think so. However, the man disbelieves in evolution.
McJathan, I'm surprised to hear that. What has Russell Nelson said that makes you think he disbelieves in evolution? I don't really doubt you; I'm just wondering what that assertion is based on. I do remember that much of what biology professors at BYU teach is based on the truthfulness of the Theory of Evolution.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

KevinSim wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:20 pm
dastardly stem wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:32 pm
I suppose I'd hope for somethign more from something that is divinely inspired.
Stem, people have all sorts of ideas about what a faith organization would do if it was divinely inspired. Are they right? Who knows? They are probably not all right. I think the best way to find out if an organization is divinely inspired is to ask God if it is. God definitely knows if it's inspired or not.
Nah...God doesn't know. And he can't get us messages we can rely on anyway. He tells one person one thing like this one religion is right and tells another person another thing. Also in the passage of time, he says one thing, and some time later he contradicts himself. Also if I ask God how would I possibly distinguish between what He says from what I imagine He'd say? "oh that thought there feels good, it must be from God. let me try it out. Nope. No religion is true. They draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me" Lookie there I just got the same answer as Joseph Smith. I wonder if that came to me because I remember Joseph mentioned it and it sounds about right to me, or if God really is telling me no religion is true. Or maybe there's no God at all.

I hope I don't follow Joseph down this rabbit trail further and try and marry teenagers, now.

It seems to me your solution isn't a solution at all. Its a proposed solution that only raises more problems.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

dastardly stem wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:29 pm
KevinSim wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:20 pm

Stem, people have all sorts of ideas about what a faith organization would do if it was divinely inspired. Are they right? Who knows? They are probably not all right. I think the best way to find out if an organization is divinely inspired is to ask God if it is. God definitely knows if it's inspired or not.
Nah...God doesn't know. And he can't get us messages we can rely on anyway. He tells one person one thing like this one religion is right and tells another person another thing. Also in the passage of time, he says one thing, and some time later he contradicts himself. Also if I ask God how would I possibly distinguish between what He says from what I imagine He'd say? "oh that thought there feels good, it must be from God. let me try it out. Nope. No religion is true. They draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me" Lookie there I just got the same answer as Joseph Smith. I wonder if that came to me because I remember Joseph mentioned it and it sounds about right to me, or if God really is telling me no religion is true. Or maybe there's no God at all.

I hope I don't follow Joseph down this rabbit trail further and try and marry teenagers, now.

It seems to me your solution isn't a solution at all. Its a proposed solution that only raises more problems.
stem, do we need to stage an intervention for you? :lol:
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

malkie wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:44 pm
stem, do we need to stage an intervention for you? :lol:

lol....if I ever come out and say God told me he has a special work for me to do and my name will be had for good and evil in this world, then yes. Please help me at that point. My narcissism will be quickly heading towards out of control.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
BeNotDeceived
Elder

Post by BeNotDeceived »

The 'church' has billions invested in big pharma, including the vax manufacturers and it will do anything to stay on the good side of the federal government to maintain their 501c3 tax-exemption... why wouldn't they advocate getting the jab? :lol: I wish these pretenders who call themselves 'prophets, seers and revelators', who are nothing but corporate execs running the largest and wealthiest tax-exempt real estate corporation on the planet, would have the decency, honesty and integrity to just admit they don't talk to or God nor do they have a special communication channel with him and that the entire religion is nothing but a sham and fraud contrived by arguably the greatest con-man of the 19th century! But they have way too much to lose in terms of money, benefits, perks and a cushy, cozy celebrity-like lifestyle to do so. :lol:
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

KevinSim wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:26 pm
mcjathan wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:12 pm
You would think so. However, the man disbelieves in evolution.
McJathan, I'm surprised to hear that. What has Russell Nelson said that makes you think he disbelieves in evolution? I don't really doubt you; I'm just wondering what that assertion is based on. I do remember that much of what biology professors at BYU teach is based on the truthfulness of the Theory of Evolution.
"[T]o think that man evolved from one species to another is, to me, incomprehensible." - 2007 Pew Research Interview

There's also this older statement, published in The New Era (and ironically, from a University address):
Through the ages, some without scriptural understanding have tried to explain our existence by pretentious words such as ex nihilo (out of nothing). Others have deduced that, because of certain similarities between different forms of life, there has been an organic evolution from one form to another. Many of these have concluded that the universe began as a “big bang” that eventually resulted in the creation of our planet and life upon it.

To me, such theories are unbelievable!
The Magnificence of Man - churchofjesuschrist.org
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Just one more line from that Pew Interview:
Man has always been man. Dogs have always been dogs. Monkeys have always been monkeys. It’s just the way genetics works.
Its kind of like, what does he think evolution is? I think he saw the popular chart of monkey to man and was like "I see all I need to know about "evolutionary theory". That couldn't have happened."
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

KevinSim, now that you've heard the words of the prophet are you willing to reject the theory of evolution?

Dastardly Stem wrote: It's kind of like, what does he think evolution is? I think he saw the popular chart of monkey to man and was like "I see all I need to know about "evolutionary theory". That couldn't have happened."
Perhaps he is waiting for further light and knowledge to enter the world of the Saints.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

If a nut agrees with me for reasons I do not and cannot agree with, I do not embrace his reasoning because of our coincidental agreement.
"Great power connected with ambition, luxury and flattery, will as readily produce a Caesar, Caligula, Nero and Domitian in America, as the same causes did in the Roman Empire." ~Cato, New York Journal
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

What's shocking to me is the LDSFers expecting the leaders to get specific revelation on something. Is there anything the Church has done in the last 30 years to make them think that the Church makes decisions based on anything other than recommendations from outside corporate consultants?

If I were on that board, I would ask them what the Church has done in the last 30 years to create an expectation that they would do anything other than recommend vaccination, given it's the conventional wisdom of other large institutions.