Mormons ignoring Jesus as quoted in the gospel of Matthew

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Morley
God
Location: Jan van Eyck, Portrait of a Man (Self Portrait), 1433

Re: Mormons ignoring Jesus as quoted in the gospel of Matthew

Post by Morley »

Cue MG complaining that I've misrepresented him.

Cue Morley asking him to show me where.

Cue MG saying that I, Morley, have no nuance; that he's not going waste time showing me; that I should read between the lines in his previous posts, then return and write up what he really meant, but that I'd better not put any words in his mouth.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Morley wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:50 pm

Cue MG saying that I, Morley, have no nuance; that he's not going waste time showing me; that I should read between the lines in his previous posts, then return and write up what he really meant, but that I'd better not put any words in his mouth.
But at least he's here. I've never gotten him to answer questions or stay on topic or refrain from commenting on me in place of the topic at hand, but at least he shows up here on occasion leaving most questions put to him unanswered and most topics he pretends to engage in ignored. To me he's doing a good job of following God. Can't fault him for that.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
sock puppet
1st Counselor

Post by sock puppet »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:07 am
so situational ethics is like when you do something that's normally wrong but you do it anyway because the situation is special or different. It's like bending the rules or being flexible with right and wrong depending on the circumstances. It's like, sometimes it's okay to cheat a little or tell a lie if it leads to a good outcome, ya know? It's like, you have to weigh the pros and cons and make the best decision you can in the moment. That's basically situational ethics in a nutshell.
[/quote]
Exactly. Cheat a little and get an A (a good outcome) instead of a B (not so good an outcome) on the text when in school. Gotta be flexible.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
sock puppet
1st Counselor

Post by sock puppet »

malkie wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:24 am
The way it's stated here - that what god requires is right - is a bit iffy if god does not actually exist, and the human making use of the concept is just satisfying his own desires.
Yep. That's Joseph Smith in a nutshell.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
sock puppet
1st Counselor

Post by sock puppet »

sock puppet wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:25 pm
Bret Ripley wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:07 am
so situational ethics is like when you do something that's normally wrong but you do it anyway because the situation is special or different. It's like bending the rules or being flexible with right and wrong depending on the circumstances. It's like, sometimes it's okay to cheat a little or tell a lie if it leads to a good outcome, ya know? It's like, you have to weigh the pros and cons and make the best decision you can in the moment. That's basically situational ethics in a nutshell.
Exactly. Cheat a little and get an A (a good outcome) instead of a B (not so good an outcome) on the test when in school. Gotta be flexible.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Morley wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:50 pm

So if I walked in on some adult assaulting my grandson (or any child for that matter)and bashed that person's head in with my cast iron frying pan and they die I’m as guilty (and wrong) as any mass shooter, or rapist murderer?

Are you an absolutist?

You appear to be when it comes to what God can and cannot do. You’ve put him in a box of your own making. You’ve given him absolutely no wiggle room to make judgements.

Morley, this post of yours is awfully silly. What game are you trying to play?

More and more I’m seeing you as a strict fundamentalist. I see that as a dangerous position to take.

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Moral absolutism: Moral absolutism is an ethical belief which views specific actions as entirely wrong or right... An example is a murder, which is always considered morally wrong, even if done in self-defense or for the protection of others.

Absolutism makes ethical decisions black and white, with no grey areas. Right is right and wrong is wrong, no exceptions, no excuses. This is the guiding principle found in people who accept literal interpretations of the Bible, as they perceive them to be.

Are exmormons moral absolutists?

Actually, if this is so, I’m in one way surprised and in another way not.

Regards,
MG
¥akaSteelhead
Deacon

Post by ¥akaSteelhead »

I am not a moral absolutist, but I am more moral than a god who condoned slavery and gave instructions to what degree you can beat you slaves without incurring a penalty.

I condemn all slavery.

So there is that.
sock puppet
1st Counselor

Post by sock puppet »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:05 pm
Moral absolutism: Moral absolutism is an ethical belief which views specific actions as entirely wrong or right... An example is a murder, which is always considered morally wrong, even if done in self-defense or for the protection of others.

Absolutism makes ethical decisions black and white, with no grey areas. Right is right and wrong is wrong, no exceptions, no excuses. This is the guiding principle found in people who accept literal interpretations of the Bible, as they perceive them to be.

Regards,
MG
If I were a TBM husband and a single mom down the street loses a child in a car accident, is it okay for me to comfort her with sex? My motives are good, I really didn't want to sleep with her but did so to comfort her. So Mormon God (and my bishop) must therefore be okay with it too, right?

Mormon God's excuse for killing Laban is pretty lame. Without commanding that Laban be beheaded, Mormon God could have thrown Laban off of Lehi's family's trail until they had gotten on the boats and headed for the Americas. But, no. Mormon God had Nephi slay Laban. Sounds more like Mormon God had a temper tantrum than exercised any omniscience and omnipotence to accomplish the goal. That is a good example of Mormon God's situational ethics.

Then there's Joseph Smith's [fill in the blank from at least a dozen examples].
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

sock puppet wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:14 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:05 pm

Regards,
MG
If I were a TBM husband and a single mom down the street loses a child in a car accident, is it okay for me to comfort her with sex? My motives are good, I really didn't want to sleep with her but did so to comfort her. So Mormon God (and my bishop) must therefore be okay with it too, right?

Mormon God's excuse for killing Laban is pretty lame. Without commanding that Laban be beheaded, Mormon God could have thrown Laban off of Lehi's family's trail until they had gotten on the boats and headed for the Americas. But, no. Mormon God had Nephi slay Laban. Sounds more like Mormon God had a temper tantrum than exercised any omniscience and omnipotence to accomplish the goal. That is a good example of Mormon God's situational ethics.

Then there's Joseph Smith's [fill in the blank from at least a dozen examples].
A moral absolutist. One that would be open to making dumb decisions apparently.

Regards,
MG