Jenn Kamp Files Lawsuit Against John Dehlin

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Lowrance
Star A

Re: Jenn Kamp Files Lawsuit Against John Dehlin

Post by Lowrance »

And if anyone could explain to me why there is so much animosity directed towards jpatterson, that would be greatly appreciated. The majority of the time, he is spoken of in a condescending manner, and he is the target of many personal attacks.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Lowrance
Star A

Post by Lowrance »

consiglieri wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:03 am
Based on what I’ve seen, I would be afraid to be around Jenn Kamp, as well.

At least I know I thank God every night before I go to sleep I was never alone with her.
How is it that this comment can be made on the board, and particularly in this particular forum? Am I the only one who sees that the person who made this remark is a con artist on the same level as Joseph Smith?
pistolero
Deacon

Post by pistolero »

Lowrance wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:13 pm
Let me see! If I had to choose between a life spent believing in the teachings of Joseph Smith and a life spent preaching against the teachings of Joseph Smith while being unable to spend a single waking moment not being obsessed with Mormonism, I would choose the former.
If only we could choose. Unfortunately I had a good 30 years of indoctrination, and it's not something that I can "put off" easily. Some find it easier than others. I've been mentally elsewhere church-wise for some 15 years, but still bleed Mormon and it still is, ultimately my spiritual home. Although I don't believe in the folklore, myths or traditions any more.

I rarely join in here, but I do find it therapeutic to read through the threads and chip in once and again.

One of these days, I will realise I haven't thought about anything Mormon for the past week and I will feel it a major triumph, almost free.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Lowrance wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:23 pm
consiglieri wrote:

At least I know I thank God every night before I go to sleep I was never alone with her.
How is it that this comment can be made on the board, and particularly in this particular forum? Am I the only one who sees that the person who made this remark is a con artist on the same level as Joseph Smith?
Can you explain why you think RFM is a con artist?
pistolero
Deacon

Post by pistolero »

Lowrance wrote:
consiglieri wrote:

I get really frustrated by people comparing others such as John Dehlin, BR, Consig, etc... to Joseph Smith, Russell M. Nelson, etc... Other than the Denver Snuffer, Prophet Matthew Gill, or others, I don't think there are many people peddling religion in the same way these days. You might argue that post-Mormonism is a religion of sorts I guess, but when one has graduated from that, I don't see John Dehlin, Bill or Consig coming to your new address asking for more donations or imposing their morality on you. I'm happy and relaxed for it to be described as a community, where you can reside until you're ready to move on.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Lowrance wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:13 pm
I believe the majority of Mormons would agree with what I have to say. Let me see! If I had to choose between a life spent believing in the teachings of Joseph Smith and a life spent preaching against the teachings of Joseph Smith while being unable to spend a single waking moment not being obsessed with Mormonism, I would choose the former.
I am pretty sure everyone believes that the majority of Mormons would agree with Mormons continuing to be Mormon. Is that a controversial position to take?

ETA: Incidentally, since you find that faithful Mormons and ex-Mormons are both mentally unstable, have you concluded what the common denominator is?
Lowrance
Star A

Post by Lowrance »

drumdude wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:27 pm
Lowrance wrote:

Can you explain why you think RFM is a con artist?
He has indicated that he is interested in winding down his practice and looking for full-time work by criticizing the Mormon church. And he plans to accomplish this by soliciting monetary contributions from members of online communities such as this one. This means that he is putting himself in a position where he will have to continually criticize the church and its members in order for him to maintain the satisfaction of the people who tithe to him. He is a con artist because he pretends to sell the truth to people who are having a hard time separating themselves from their religious affiliations. Con artists such as RFM, in my opinion, are instructing former Mormons on how to damage their relationships with family members who continue to practice the faith.
Lowrance
Star A

Post by Lowrance »

pistolero wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:30 pm
Lowrance wrote:

I get really frustrated by people comparing others such as John Dehlin, BR, Consig, etc... to Joseph Smith, Russell M. Nelson, etc... Other than the Denver Snuffer, Prophet Matthew Gill, or others, I don't think there are many people peddling religion in the same way these days. You might argue that post-Mormonism is a religion of sorts I guess, but when one has graduated from that, I don't see John Dehlin, Bill or Consig coming to your new address asking for more donations or imposing their morality on you. I'm happy and relaxed for it to be described as a community, where you can reside until you're ready to move on.
They're all in it for the money. Mormon or exmormon charlatans, no difference between.
pistolero
Deacon

Post by pistolero »

Lowrance wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:41 pm
He has indicated that he is interested in winding down his practice and looking for full-time work by criticizing the Mormon church. And he plans to accomplish this by soliciting monetary contributions from members of online communities such as this one. This means that he is putting himself in a position where he will have to continually criticize the church and its members in order for him to maintain the satisfaction of the people who tithe to him. He is a con artist because he pretends to sell the truth to people who are having a hard time separating themselves from their religious affiliations. Con artists such as RFM, in my opinion, are instructing former Mormons on how to damage their relationships with family members who continue to practice the faith.
He gives the people what they want. There's a free market (of ideas). Some people are more popular and people prefer to listen to them. Others are less popular. This is how the world works.

Plenty of people make a living from producing media which is critical, objective, analytic or scrutinises some aspect of the human experience. Why not pick on big religion? They've been on the take for the past few millennia, or century(s) in the case of Mormondom.

If the Mormon church is true and is what it claims to be, acts with utmost integrity and haven't hidden anything, then they have absolutely nothing to worry about from a bit of scrutiny from a lone voice in the wilderness.