Reviving the Board

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
ceeboo
God

Re: Reviving the Board

Post by ceeboo »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:43 pm
ceeboo wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:32 pm

It's absolutely accurate. Saying Marcus trolls a ton is like saying Trump used to tweet a ton. I am puzzled as to why Marcus is so upset over it. Being a troll isn't that big of a deal. I mean It's not like Marcus is being labeled a racist, or a homophobe, or a Nazi, or a Russian spy...
Or a sexist. Oh wait, that's you! And you were very irritated when it was brought up recently. I am puzzled why you are so upset over something that you openly admitted was true about your past posts. To your credit you seem to have gotten past that. The pain of someone telling me that their sexist comments about me weren't really sexist because you made stereotypical sexist comments about ONLY ONE WOMAN (me), is somewhat mitigated by your later apologies. Somewhat.

But thanks for contributing another stellar post.
You're having to work way too hard replying, Marcus. Desperate deflection doesn't erase the fact that you are one of the biggest trolls on this board. Why don't you just own it. If you want to make a change, then change. If you don't want to make a change, then don't. Either way, you should at least be willing to accept reality.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

ceeboo wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:09 pm
Marcus wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:43 pm

Or a sexist. Oh wait, that's you! And you were very irritated when it was brought up recently. I am puzzled why you are so upset over something that you openly admitted was true about your past posts. To your credit you seem to have gotten past that. The pain of someone telling me that their sexist comments about me weren't really sexist because you made stereotypical sexist comments about ONLY ONE WOMAN (me), is somewhat mitigated by your later apologies. Somewhat.

But thanks for contributing another stellar post.
You're having to work way too hard replying, Marcus. Desperate deflection doesn't erase the fact that you are one of the biggest trolls on this board. Why don't you just own it. If you want to make a change, then change. If you don't want to make a change, then don't. Either way, you should at least be willing to accept reality.
aww, ceeboo! wipe those tears away. No one is desperate here. And seriously, your history speaks for you as well. Defining 'reality' (raccoons to whales anyone???) is maybe not your thing. And, may i add laughingly, you think Gadianton, of all people, is irrational. you lost all credibility on that one.

but yes, I will certainly accept ceeboo's reality that ceeboo thinks i am a troll. Anyone who reads our history will see that, among other things (such as your astonishingly inappropriate past sexism). fictional tall tales appeal to everyone!
Last edited by Marcus on Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ceeboo wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:32 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:28 pm
First, the post from which those words were lifted is in no way a personal attack under the rules. It is an accurate description of tactics you’ve used on me and others
It's absolutely accurate. Saying Marcus trolls a ton is like saying Trump used to tweet a ton. I am puzzled as to why Marcus is so upset over it. Being a troll isn't that big of a deal. I mean It's not like Marcus is being labeled a racist, or a homophobe, or a Nazi, or a Russian spy.
Or a Marxist, or a PROGRESSIVE!!1!, or communists, or pedos, etc., etc.

Basically, your take on ‘troll’ ain’t wrong. ‘Trolling’, in and of itself, is not against the board rules. Trolling varies massively with differences in form, intention and intensity. Pretty much everyone engages in this along the spectrum, typically in a friendly fashion. Because of that spectrum, I don’t think that the argument can be made that trolling is inherently bad. The problem here has typically been how it is deployed, as well as the behaviors that may accompany it (derailing, harassing, etc.).

For the portion of Res’s comment that Binger has decided to use as a signature, the second sentence is Res’s opinion regarding troll skills. On that note, he said this about me:
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:43 am
in my opinion they are the second most skilled troll we have on the board.
I can live with that, but don’t know that I’m going to merely rest on my laurels as the silver medal winner. : D

I would argue that Res’s third sentence within that partial, out-of-context quote is conditional, because form, intention and intensity again affect how a post conforms to board rules. But the statement refers to those rules and the board’s ‘free speech’ approach generally, and not to Marcus specifically. I would add that if everything mentioned in the third sentence fell outside of board rules and required a post to be removed or the user banned, then nearly every post made by the person currently using this sig would need to be removed from the board.
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:11 am
ceeboo wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:45 am

I have indeed. Two Mormon related board bans before I found this board.

The reason I haven't been banned here, in part, is because I am deeply loved and admired by this board's creator.
yes. of course. :roll:

it is interesting that posters who have been banned repeatedly every where else end up happy here. where they are almost never, ever banned, and even then only temporarily.

i'm going to use some logic and give credit to our board policies, rather than assuming it is the (of course!) winning personalities of those banned pretty much everywhere else on the planet.
People who get banned from everywhere manifestly have nothing worth saying. These reactionary trolls and sock puppets add nothing but strife to this site, which discourages sane people from participating.

No one wants to hear about how angry they are at women or about their latest conspiracy theory. I've put them all on ignore here.

It's a failure of Dr. Shades that he can't see these people are a blight.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:50 pm
Marcus wrote:

it is interesting that posters who have been banned repeatedly every where else end up happy here. where they are almost never, ever banned, and even then only temporarily.

i'm going to use some logic and give credit to our board policies, rather than assuming it is the (of course!) winning personalities of those banned pretty much everywhere else on the planet.
People who get banned from everywhere manifestly have nothing worth saying. These reactionary trolls and sock puppets add nothing but strife to this site, which discourages sane people from participating.

No one wants to hear about how angry they are at women or about their latest conspiracy theory. I've put them all on ignore here.

I'm not sure that there is any failure here on the part of Shades.

It may well be that, for example, he has decided that in spite of their being a blight, the effort involved, the line drawing, and the rejigging of board rules (I mistyped "rules" as "runes" first time - ha!) to exclude such people is not worthwhile. Perhaps the real solution is (as you have done) for each board member to draw their own lines and use the "ignore" feature.

ETA:
After all, we each have a different idea about who would be eligible for banning.

As for sane people participating, ... :D
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:30 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:28 pm

Binger’s appropriation of a piece of one of my posts has nothing to do with whether you and Binger agree on something. You both agree that people you don’t like make bigoted statements and criticize the mod team and Shades for permitting that speech. You also engage in self-help to try and have those people excluded from the board, although you are much better at coloring within the lines than Binger.

Because Binger’s signature line appropriated my words, I recused myself the decision on whether to take action on the issue of whether his use of my words constituted a personal attack against you.

My input was limited to two points. First, the post from which those words were lifted is in no way a personal attack under the rules. It is an accurate description of tactics you’ve used on me and others, including the post that Shades had responded to and that the quoted language was addressing.

My second was a concern that you would try leverage any action taken with respect to Binger’s signature line into an attempt to censor the post from which my words were taken.

It seems my concern was 100% justified.

If you are requesting cp, Xeno, and Shades to move or censor the post from which my words were taken, then I will proceed to argue that the post breaks no rules, drawing mainly on your own posts. Otherwise, I’m happy to move on.
:lol: :lol: :lol: You do you, boo. Your feelings got hurt because someone bested you in a discussion, and you can't let it go, so you have sustained a long term attack on that person, with specious accusations. I'm the most talented troll ever? Seriously? lol. If you need to cling to that to explain why you lost an argument, then you go right ahead. It says more about you than anyone else.

But, like I said, you do you, boo. :roll:
Best Binger imitation I’ve seen in a long time. I’d give it a 10.0, but I’m compelled to dock you a couple of 10ths for “boo.” :lol: :lol: :lol:
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:44 pm
Lol. That looks like curiosity in its eyes too. Or maybe it was cursing you for keeping the container lid shut. (speaking from experience.)
Heh. He had just finished up the kitty food in the metal bowl behind him. We feed our cats outside (some barn cats usually get the leftovers), but since taking this photo I've been bringing the bowls in at night.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Amen.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Marcus wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:03 am
Alphus and Omegus wrote:

Amen.
I’m a staunch advocate for libertarian free speech but watching people take a dump in the punch bowl over and over and complain about being censored when the fecal matter is removed is getting really tiring.

Not just here but in society as a whole. Challenging authority, especially governmental and scientific authority, has become some peoples’ entire identity.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:22 am
Marcus wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:44 pm
Lol. That looks like curiosity in its eyes too. Or maybe it was cursing you for keeping the container lid shut. (speaking from experience.)
Heh. He had just finished up the kitty food in the metal bowl behind him. We feed our cats outside (some barn cats usually get the leftovers), but since taking this photo I've been bringing the bowls in at night.
Lol. I'm with you on that. You have to do something.

Years ago, my young teenager kid with insomnia woke me up and we spent many hours in the pool watching the skunks wander by. Eventually we ended up indoors watching 'Beavis and Butthead do America' and baking a chocolate cake.

My twenty-something kid still speaks fondly of our adventure to this day.

Thank god for animals and their explorations.