So California Mormons vs Utah (et al) Mormons

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
bill4long
Bishop

So California Mormons vs Utah (et al) Mormons

Post by bill4long »

Back in the 70s and 80s when I was growing up in Los Angeles county, there were lots of Mormons there, including myself. For one reason or another I made several trips to Utah during those years and always got the feeling that the Utah Mormons looked down on the L.A. Mormons for being to "liberal" and "permissive" etc.

Anyone else have that experience?
The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.
malkie
God

Re: So California Mormons vs Utah (et al) Mormons

Post by malkie »

I've never lived in SoCal (or in Utah, for that matter), but many of the mostly Utah missionaries who served in my little branch in Scotland made it abundantly clear to us that we were ignorant (which, as recent converts basically we were) and probably incurably stupid.

Whatever the local members tried to do was likely to be denigrated as "bloke effort", and to be pitied because we didn't know and/or couldn't do any better.

Other than that, ...
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Fence Sitter
1st Counselor

Post by Fence Sitter »

I lived in both states for extended periods of time. For me the differences seemed to be more of Utah vs California state thing more than anything. Honestly, if anything, I always felt those from Calif had the advantage of greater exposure to different cultures and were a bit more tolerant of stuff. I used to wear a tee-shirt that said, "Welcome to Utah, please set your clock back 20 years."
bill4long
Bishop

Post by bill4long »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:35 pm
"Welcome to Utah, please set your clock back 20 years."
:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

I think it depends on the region and the Mormons.

Those in rural areas of Utah are a lot more right-wing and nasty in my experience. Out in the "mission field," I would say that most Mormons know they are a small minority and are thus kinder to others and each other for that reason.

With suburban Utah Mormons, they tend to be a much more mixed group in my experience.