Beastie and argument for horses in the Book of Mormon.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
malkie
God

Re: Beastie and argument for horses in the Book of Mormon.

Post by malkie »

huckelberry wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:08 pm
Xenophon wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:48 pm
Happy to oblige, beastie was always one of my favorite posters here. A sharp mind, quick wit, and as you point out, very good at cutting to the most basic elements of the problem at hand.
Xenophon, I checked our members list and Beastie does not show. My memory says it was ZLMB where she was posting and she did not come here or if she did she stopped posting quite a while back. I agree with you about the quality of her posting and research. It was clear she spent real effort in building information. I remember thinking it was material perhaps worth publishing . I have wondered but have zero information about what has become of her. I suspect she decided she had invested enough effort in Book of Mormon study and went on to live life with other concerns.

Certainly wish well for her.
Hmmmm - I was never on ZLMB, and I remember interacting with beastie.

If I recall correctly, there was some kind of problem with the server where her site was hosted, and she ended up almost losing everything. She was able to recover some/all of the text, but many graphics were unrecoverable, and the structure was gone, so that links no longer worked. Around Feb 2013, perhaps. I have a vague memory of a board member (perhaps Don Bradley) being involved in the recovery attempt, and I think I may have helped in some way too (may be just wishful thinking).
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:30 pm

Source: https://www.discussmormonism.com/viewto ... 3#p1940343

(Iconography by Blixa.)
blixa was one of my all-time favourite posters. Anyone know anything about her?
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

huckelberry wrote:
Xenophon wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:48 pm
Happy to oblige, beastie was always one of my favorite posters here. A sharp mind, quick wit, and as you point out, very good at cutting to the most basic elements of the problem at hand.
Xenophon, I checked our members list and Beastie does not show. My memory says it was ZLMB where she was posting and she did not come here or if she did she stopped posting quite a while back. I agree with you about the quality of her posting and research. It was clear she spent real effort in building information. I remember thinking it was material perhaps worth publishing . I have wondered but have zero information about what has become of her. I suspect she decided she had invested enough effort in Book of Mormon study and went on to live life with other concerns.

The archives indicate that she last posted here about five years ago as Beastie.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Tom wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:03 pm
huckelberry wrote:

The archives indicate that she last posted here about five years ago as Beastie.
Tom , after making this post I searched further and did find Beastie in old material for this board, I posted a link in a post on the previous page of this thread.

I seem to be a bit clumsy with the search system. I did not find the connection you did.
hauslern
Bishop

Post by hauslern »

Thanks so much guys. I asked that after viewing a youtube video by the Murph on anachronisms in the Book of Mormon. I am so lucky i have brain trust on this board.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=274hRFZyRA8&t=1017s
MsJack
Deacon

Post by MsJack »

malkie wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:41 pm
Blixa is doing well and living life.

Beastie definitely posted quite a bit on the original MDB, but I don't believe we've seen her here since the migration. I did not know her in real life. I hope she's okay.

As long as we're talking about missing posters: has anyone ever heard anything from EAllusion?
BA, Classics, Brigham Young University
MA, American Religious History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
PhD Student, Church History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Tom wrote:
huckelberry wrote:

I’m pretty sure she went by another name back in the ZLMB days. But I can’t remember what it was now. I had some conversations with her way back when. She went the rounds with Brant Gardner if I remember correctly.

I was very impressed with her knowledge and also her general civility as she presented her case for the Book of Mormon.

Regards,
MG
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

MsJack wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:59 pm
malkie wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:41 pm
Blixa is doing well and living life.

Beastie definitely posted quite a bit on the original MDB, but I don't believe we've seen her here since the migration. I did not know her in real life. I hope she's okay.

As long as we're talking about missing posters: has anyone ever heard anything from EAllusion?
I saw him a time or two at another venue, but that was some years back.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:34 am
Tom wrote:

I’m pretty sure she went by another name back in the ZLMB days. But I can’t remember what it was now. I had some conversations with her way back when. She went the rounds with Brant Gardner if I remember correctly.

I was very impressed with her knowledge and also her general civility as she presented her case for the Book of Mormon.

Regards,
MG
She did. I met her way back when. She was a kick to hang out with.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
tapirrider
Sunbeam

Post by tapirrider »

huckelberry wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:37 pm
The subject of horses has come up recently. example is this excellent recent post.
Re: Looks like MopologistGPT has been reborn

Post by Physics Guy » Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:52 am
It turns up quickly if you google "Texas Journal of Science horses". The lead author is Wade Miller, who retired from BYU in 2002 and has been a long-term champion of pre-Columbian American horses.
Outstanding review by Simon Southerton
https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... se_manure/