Interpreter 2.0?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Marcus
God

Re: Interpreter 2.0?

Post by Marcus »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 1:14 am
Tom wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 11:08 pm

I may email my good friend Richard Nygren down in Birmingham for assistance. He’s well acquainted with most Latter-day Saint apologists and will likely have contact information for a Brother Dan Petersen.
If Nygren doesn’t have any information, you might consider contacting Louis Midley. I understand that he and Petersen are fast friends.
:lol:
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

The article has been revised without any sign of credit or note:
The world we choose to live in determines, among many other things, how we read scripture. Those who have chosen to live in God’s world read a different Bible and Book of Mormon than those who have chosen to live in a godless world. Dan Vogel and Dan Peterson do not read the same Book of Mormon. For Vogel, the Book of Mormon is a purely naturalistic product of Joseph Smith’s nineteenth century. For Peterson, the text has both ancient and nineteenth century provenance, being composed anciently and translated in the nineteenth century. For Vogel, Joseph Smith was the sole, purely naturalistic, human author of the book. For Peterson, the book has multiple authors and, since most of those authors are prophets, God strongly influenced the book’s construction and content.
So it appears Daniel doesn’t read these, he just copies and pastes them. If he doesn’t find them interesting enough to peruse, why does he expect anyone else would?
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

The Proprietor’s announcement of the article is priceless:
As critics long ago predicted, the website of the Interpreter Foundation continues to slumber. To illustrate its unchanging hibernation, I share three new items that have recently appeared on it:
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

Last night, I attended a celebration for George Mitten in honor of the publication of a collection of his essays, entitled Joseph Smith and Our Preparation for the Lord’s Final Judgment.

The book is a nice tribute to Brother Mitten. However, I winced when I saw the cover design. Whose idea was it to use that garish font for the title? It’s rather hard on the eyes. And where is the Interpreter Foundation’s new logo?

Things don’t seem to be going well at the Interpreter Foundation.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

“DCP” wrote: Those members of the board of the Interpreter Foundation who were able to do so spent most of today together (or, in one case, with us via Zoom) in a board retreat. It was the first such meeting that we’ve ever had, and it was a good opportunity to discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the organization, the opportunities that are presenting themselves to it and the potential challenges that it faces. Typically, over the past twelve years, the pace has been rather frenetic, and we’ve been more concerned with the alligators currently nipping at our ankles than with long-term planning.
It’s the gosh darned alligators.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Tom wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 2:17 pm
Last night, I attended a celebration for George Mitten in honor of the publication of a collection of his essays, entitled Joseph Smith and Our Preparation for the Lord’s Final Judgment.

The book is a nice tribute to Brother Mitten. However, I winced when I saw the cover design. Whose idea was it to use that garish font for the title? It’s rather hard on the eyes. And where is the Interpreter Foundation’s new logo?

Things don’t seem to be going well at the Interpreter Foundation.
That is indeed an ugly cover. I wonder: did the attendees at this event all chant “Heil Mitten!” as DCP and Hamblin did years ago on the old FAIR board, apparently in imitation of the infamous Nazi slogan?
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

It occurs to me that we may be witnessing another instance of Mopologists trashing the memory of a senior Mopologist with the publication of a “tribute” volume that unwittingly reveals what the Mopologists really think of the supposed honoree. I’m confident, Doctor Scratch, that you recall the dumpster-fire festschrift that the Proprietor and his acolytes cooked up for Brother Midgley a few years ago: rehashed articles, poor editing, and vanity press publication of a common paperback (where is the hardcover version?). It’s sad to witness.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

No mention of the editing support from the good folks at the “obsession board.” He will mention every other tiny thing related to him that happens here but not this, of course.
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

drumdude wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 2:47 pm
“DCP” wrote: Those members of the board of the Interpreter Foundation who were able to do so spent most of today together (or, in one case, with us via Zoom) in a board retreat. It was the first such meeting that we’ve ever had, and it was a good opportunity to discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the organization, the opportunities that are presenting themselves to it and the potential challenges that it faces. Typically, over the past twelve years, the pace has been rather frenetic, and we’ve been more concerned with the alligators currently nipping at our ankles than with long-term planning.
Edited for grammar: Any idea what “alligators” he is referring to?
Last edited by Tom on Sat May 11, 2024 10:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Tom wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 9:50 pm
drumdude wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 2:47 pm

Any idea what “alligators” he referring to?
No clue, I thought it was an odd thing to say. Doesn’t fit in with his usual gripes about us, so it could be some other nefarious force of The Adversary.